Upgrade HDTV: Yay or Nay?

I was going to hijack this thread, since I have a very similar question overall, but my situation is definitely slightly different.

Currently I own a two year old Panasonic 30" HDTV. It only supports 480P and 1080i.

Since it is so old, I had difficulty actually finding it online, but I have found it here.

So over the past year, my living room has replaced my office space that I had set up for myself as my central area for gaming, thanks to my XBox 360.

Now this TV does me just fine, I bought it as a floor model for 500$ back when I got it, and I feel I made a great purchase. At the time I knew little to nothing about HDTV's in general, did not even know I was going to own a 360, but even not knowing all of that, I am perfectly content with the picture it gives me. I have my 360 set to 1080i and it looks great to me.

Here is the new situation...

My mother is willing to buy myself and my girlfriend as a combined birthday and christmas present (my birthday is the 21st and my GF's is the 19th of December). The deal is we have a budget of 1000$. I am willing to fork a few hundred dollars of my own money to make that number a little higher, but not much. My parents will then become owners of the Panasonic I currently own.

If I do get a new TV, I prefer the following...

• Larger in size. I figure if I am upgrading it only makes sense 42" appears to be reasonable, but I am open to suggestions.
  • I also like the idea of a Plasma, since they are smaller in actual size. But it also appears they are higher in price, so they may be undoable. Open to DLP as you will see in the sets below I have found
  • I am open to any suggestions...

I have researched this the last few days, and it does appear that in this price range I have, and size range of roughly 42", I can only really afford sets that support 720p. A very few support 1080i, and 1080p is in all reality a pipe dream.

Question #1:

Is it worth getting a new TV if it only supports 720p?

My current TV does not support 720p, so I have no real reference point.

Circuit City is currently having a Thanksgiving Sale, and I have found the following 3 TV's that seem decent.

Samsung 42" DLP Projection TV - $999

Panasonic 42" Widescreen Plasma - $1299

Sony 46" Grand WEGA? 3LCD Projection HDTV $1439 (Pushing the budget no doubt)Question #2:

Any of those above TV's worth it? Honestly the Sony one is possibly out of reach, as it is a lot more than the budget calls for, and I just do not know if I can put in that much money of my own.b>Final Question(s)b>

So knowing all of the information, and that I am happy with my current TV, I just think it could be better and my parents would take it as their own. So..Does it even make sense to get a new TV??

If so, any other recommendations other than what I have found in this price range?b>I know I have written a lot, so I thank anyone and everyone in advanced who takes the time to asnwer.

Also, not sure if I am just falling for the holiday sales hype, but it does appear this is somewhat time sensitive due to the current deals being offered, at least at the Circuit City Site.i>

DLEDITb> - Just my luck, Circuit City is now currently updating their site, so the links above are no longer valid even though they were just two minutes ago. So the links above may very well not work when they are done updating. Like a dumb ass, I did not write down the model numbers either, so I just have to hope that when they do update it and it comes back online, the links still work. If not, any suggestions would be great, as I really have to go to bed now.

I think I'd be worth it, very much so.

You might want to do a little more looking around though, don't restrict yourself to Circuit City >_>

Try some of these:

http://www.pricewatch.com

http://www.newegg.com

etc.. some of these places might have that Sony 46" in a price range you can actually afford, or something similar anyway.

Like..

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hDvjptEtnYS/c...sp?i=13342PD60U

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?om...mp;sku=TB42HP66

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824187064

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824187087

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16889130001

Also another little tip..you might want to hold off till a little after Christmas for the huge sales that pop up everywhere. :)

Thanks Holy Liason (Y)

I was just using Circuit City as a reference point more than anything else.

Also they have no interest until the end of 2007, so I figured my mom might like that... But I am open to anywhere that sells the cheapest.

Thanks for the links. Some nice finds there for sure. Definite Possibilities. (Y)

Using pricewatch, I just found this set as well, which was one of the sets I found at Circuit City, for $978 after 200 Mail in Rebate.

PANASONIC TH-42PX60U 42-IN Diagonal Plasma HDTV

The above set is looking like the one I might go with. 2 HDMI Inputs for starters, and just fits all specs, and that above price is really perfect for me.

Nice find :)

Good luck, hope you get what you're looking for.

Buying a TV is always tough. With so many options out there it can get confusing fast. Just make sure to get what you want, don't let someone talk you out of something you have your eyes on. Usually what you pick is what's best for you. :p

I have researched this the last few days, and it does appear that in this price range I have, and size range of roughly 42", I can only really afford sets that support 720p. A very few support 1080i, and 1080p is in all reality a pipe dream.

Question #1:

Is it worth getting a new TV if it only supports 720p?

My current TV does not support 720p, so I have no real reference point.

Most support both 720p and 1080i, it's what it displays that counts. Unless it's a 1080p set, it's going to display 720p if it's a flat panel, and I'm pretty sure that applies for the DLPs also.

Ok Larry, just a few notes to consider when looking at sets:

1. Rule DLP out of the picture. Many people experience a delay issue in which commands entered on the controller take up to a second to happen on the screen. It's just the nature of the technology and isn't fixable if it does occur.

2. You're a big time gamer so a plasma may not be the right choice because of the possible burn-in issues that still exist. With many game UI's still presenting static elements on the screen, you'd probably hate to see a silhouette burned in to a nice expensive TV.

Since you live close enough to the city, I'd recommend popping in to J&R if you can. On their website, they have the Samsung LN-S4041D on sale for $1299. You may be able to haggle them a bit in the store. If not them, PC Richards is having the employee pricing sale in which they have some pretty huge deals and you may be able to score a nice set if you try haggling a bit more, also.

The reason I recommend the Samsung above is because of what you'll be using it for. First off, there's no possibility of burn-in from an extended gaming session. Secondly, there's been no issues with delay such as with the DLP sets.

One thing I would recommend, though, is shop around for the higher end model, the LN-S4051D. It has an even higher contrast ration and a gaming mode where an extra image processing is turned off for a quicker response time. Great for gaming. On that google link I link you to, there's one site selling it for $1209.

bangbang whats you view on the newer lcd hdtv's that have been released by sony and samsung. the ones that do 1920 res at 1080p ?

they retail for around ?1700 - which roughly $3,150 usd. i've currently got an acer 32" which again only does 720p- but its not got a hdmi port - only dvi, and since i've got a hd upconverter dvd player now i'm looking at a new tv with hdmi connectivity. both the sony and samsung have 2x hdmi.

samsung: http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/prod...M-LE40F71BX.htm

The Samsung 1080p sets are decent, but I find they break up too much in fast motion, possibly because of the fact they over sharpen things a bit. I prefer the Sony KDL40v2500 (KDL-40W2000 in UK) which has a smoother image and is actually almost exactly like the higher priced XBR2 series minus a 3rd component video and HDMI input and the "Pro" (otherwise known as Sony marketing BS) bravia engine..

Ok Larry, just a few notes to consider when looking at sets:

1. Rule DLP out of the picture. Many people experience a delay issue in which commands entered on the controller take up to a second to happen on the screen. It's just the nature of the technology and isn't fixable if it does occur.

2. You're a big time gamer so a plasma may not be the right choice because of the possible burn-in issues that still exist. With many game UI's still presenting static elements on the screen, you'd probably hate to see a silhouette burned in to a nice expensive TV.

Since you live close enough to the city, I'd recommend popping in to J&R if you can. On their website, they have the Samsung LN-S4041D on sale for $1299. You may be able to haggle them a bit in the store. If not them, PC Richards is having the employee pricing sale in which they have some pretty huge deals and you may be able to score a nice set if you try haggling a bit more, also.

The reason I recommend the Samsung above is because of what you'll be using it for. First off, there's no possibility of burn-in from an extended gaming session. Secondly, there's been no issues with delay such as with the DLP sets.

One thing I would recommend, though, is shop around for the higher end model, the LN-S4051D. It has an even higher contrast ration and a gaming mode where an extra image processing is turned off for a quicker response time. Great for gaming. On that google link I link you to, there's one site selling it for $1209.

I just woke up or else I would have responded sooner. Thanks bro. Gave me a lot of food for thought there. I believe I have both J&R and PC Richards (I know PC Richards) right here around me in Jersey as well, and I love haggling, so I will see what I can do.

I always knew Plasma's had the burn in issues, I just did not realize they still did. You are beyond right. I would loathe seeing Burn In on any set I bought.

Thanks again everyone, and Have a good Holiday. :yes:

hey dude... you mentioned that 1080p is a pipe dream. did you mean that for yourself personally or as a whole? i realize that HD broadcasts are all 720p, but everything else is moving to 1080p (albeit, very slowly).

bangbang said that the Samsung 1080ps are decent. i just bought one actually. this thing floored me in the showroom, and i got a great price for it from Frys.com. it's $1700 right now! i had to pay tax though since i live in OH. so, if you find the right place and the right tv, you can get 1080p for a reasonable price. PS3, HD-DVD, Blu ray, are all 1080p... you should look into it if you plan to have the set for a long time like i do.

idk much about DLPs tbh. they all look great to me, and they are rather cheap now (even the 1080p sets). i dont personally have the room for their depth, and theyre usually huge. you shouldnt rule them out completely though.

hey dude... you mentioned that 1080p is a pipe dream. did you mean that for yourself personally or as a whole? i realize that HD broadcasts are all 720p, but everything else is moving to 1080p (albeit, very slowly).

Believe me, I would love you love nothing more than to get a 1080p set.

When I said it was a pipe dream, I meant me being able to afford one was a pipe dream. I am already pushing the budget that was set tremendously thinking about getting a better TV than I originally intented on getting.

Truly the absolute most I can spend is $1500, and that is with me now contributing a decent amount of money out of my own pocket which I should technically not be spending, and that $1500 includes everything... TV, Tax (if applicable) and most important Shipping, as with the places that have the btter prices, almost non have free shipping.

I am hoping to get the end price more down in the area of $1250 actually, but that more and more is starting to look like a pipe dream as well. :laugh:

And yeah, DLP's really are just super large in size all around. To much so. One of the major factors why I was originally thinking Plasma to begin with, and now have been persuaded to go LCD, is their thin form factor makes a substantial difference to me. I live in a fairly small Apartment, and I simply do not have the room, or the viewing area itself, to have a monster sized TV.

Honestly, I am even considering not getting it at all.

My GF still has not officially given her blessing yet, and this is both of ours major xmas gift. So if she says no, it is all out of the question anyway.

I still have to fork out some of my own cash, which I am not sure about doing, and it does mean it is pretty much the only gift we will both be getting besides some sweaters and the prerequisite XMas gifts. However, I also know I may not get another chance at affording a new TV any time soon. Especially since me and my GF are going to take that "big" step really soon. So marriage, and everything that comes along with it, is in the very near future. As a result a TV is about the last thing I will have any extra money for. The fact my mother is willing to do this is the only reason I can even think about it, and the main reason I am down is anything else I would ask for in it's place would just be stuff I truly do not need and would just be asking for it to have it, not because I need it. Then again, I do not really need a new TV either, I just want one. :laugh:

In all reality this TV has to probably last me two years. Possibly much longer.

So if I do get one, considering the main reason behind upgrading is for gaming first and foremost, I am pretty much sold on that higher end Samsung LN-S4051D LCDTV that bangbang recommended. I have done more research since posting this thread, and the reviews for that model are solid all across the board.

well, in the short term... you need to focus on more important things :yes:

in the long term, you should pick a tv that'll last you many many years.

i dont believe anything on the "major" market today will last more than 2-3 yrs.

i dont believe anything on the "major" market today will last more than 2-3 yrs.

Where did you come up with this fact? lol. Also, 1080p is not necessary and won't be for a long time. Until broadcast TV gives 1080p, there's simply no real need for it.

• 2 weeks later...

My Samsung LN-S4051D LCDTV is supposedly going to be here today. :punk: And early XMas present no doubt.

Will post some pics possibly, but definitely my initial impressions of it tomorrow.

he's more than likely too busy setting it up and watching things on it right now to respond, I know I'd be.

Very good call. ;) I was much busier setting things up than I thought I would be. See below.

wow nice larry, what was the final price if you dont mind me askin? hehe

The TV itself was $1225. Final price is hard to say, as I also had to buy a Reciever and Home Theatre yesterday too*. :o

*So yeah, I really was not very smart when I bought the TV, either I just forgot about it or did not think about it since I was so psyched to be getting it, but I did not realize it would not have enough inputs/outputs for everything like my old TV did. But honestly, I am happy it did not, because I got my new Home Theatre set up as a result. :punk: It is a Sony HT-7000DH system, and it serves the purpose I need more than enough. I never had good sound, so I am really happy with it all.

I still do not have all of the best Audio cables and other cables I truly need, but I do have everything hooked up. I am EXTREMELY happy with the TV itself. When the signal is in High Def, it is truly a great picture. The 360 looks phenomenal, and overall I am happier than a pig in scrap. :laugh:

My only thing is now normal TV looks like utter doo-doo. With my older TV, which was still an HD model just 30inch and did not support 720p, but on that older TV although the HD channels looked really good, the normal channels still looked normal as the TV was a lower resolution.

Now on this TV, because of the Higher Resolution, HDTV looks amazing, but normal TV looks not so good. Basically think taking a WMV file and maximizing it, and although it is not that dramatic as if you did that, that is what is happening. I knew this would be the case, I just did not realize it would be so extreme in some cases. And the thing is, I have way more normal channels through my cable company than I do HiDef channels, so watching normal TV is nowhere near as crisp as it used to be.

Obviously the trade off is HD channels look so much better. As does my 360. As do DVD's as well, especially since the HT setup I got included a DVD player, and the DVD player is not even hooked up via HDMI yet, and it still looks really, really damn good.

So besides not realizing the great resolution would make some channels look really bad, I am 100 satisfied with the TV. Thanks again to bangbang for all his help with it all.

Thanks again to bangbang for all his help with it all.

No problem man. With the home theater set up you got, I'm not sure if it has surround spund inputs. If I were on my own computer now, I'd look it up but I'm not at the moment. Enjoy it, though

Nevermind, I had the wrong sony in my mind when I read the model. Nice pick up. The Receiver is especially nice on it, though, you should replace the speakers in the future.

Very good call. ;) I was much busier setting things up than I thought I would be. See below.

The TV itself was $1225. Final price is hard to say, as I also had to buy a Reciever and Home Theatre yesterday too*. :o

*So yeah, I really was not very smart when I bought the TV, either I just forgot about it or did not think about it since I was so psyched to be getting it, but I did not realize it would not have enough inputs/outputs for everything like my old TV did. But honestly, I am happy it did not, because I got my new Home Theatre set up as a result. :punk: It is a Sony HT-7000DH system, and it serves the purpose I need more than enough. I never had good sound, so I am really happy with it all.

I still do not have all of the best Audio cables and other cables I truly need, but I do have everything hooked up. I am EXTREMELY happy with the TV itself. When the signal is in High Def, it is truly a great picture. The 360 looks phenomenal, and overall I am happier than a pig in scrap. :laugh:

My only thing is now normal TV looks like utter doo-doo. With my older TV, which was still an HD model just 30inch and did not support 720p, but on that older TV although the HD channels looked really good, the normal channels still looked normal as the TV was a lower resolution.

Now on this TV, because of the Higher Resolution, HDTV looks amazing, but normal TV looks not so good. Basically think taking a WMV file and maximizing it, and although it is not that dramatic as if you did that, that is what is happening. I knew this would be the case, I just did not realize it would be so extreme in some cases. And the thing is, I have way more normal channels through my cable company than I do HiDef channels, so watching normal TV is nowhere near as crisp as it used to be.

Obviously the trade off is HD channels look so much better. As does my 360. As do DVD's as well, especially since the HT setup I got included a DVD player, and the DVD player is not even hooked up via HDMI yet, and it still looks really, really damn good.

So besides not realizing the great resolution would make some channels look really bad, I am 100 satisfied with the TV. Thanks again to bangbang for all his help with it all.

Whatever you do, don't purchase an HDMI cable from a store. They're a rip off. You can find 'em online for cheap. Cables are usually waaaaaay overpriced, especially Monster and offer no improvement over no name brands.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.a...amp;x=0&y=0

Whatever you do, don't purchase an HDMI cable from a store. They're a rip off. You can find 'em online for cheap. Cables are usually waaaaaay overpriced, especially Monster and offer no improvement over no name brands.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.a...amp;x=0&y=0

Thanks for that link bro. Definitely seem to have amazing prices. I have bought some cables just for the meantime, but plan on buying some online and returning the ones I got since I kept the reciept. :shiftyninja:

Congrats on the new tv, but I also recommend buying from monoprice. Don't spend the extra money on monstercables, when you can get the same quality for a much lower price. I've ordered several cables from them, including an HDMI cable. Everything was shipped quickly, and the quality of their cables is superb.

Nevermind, I had the wrong sony in my mind when I read the model. Nice pick up. The Receiver is especially nice on it, though, you should replace the speakers in the future.

Whew. You had me sweating there for a little while, as I did think I had a pretty decent model. Nice to hear that officially I do. And no doubt, down the road, I will look into some new speakers...

And just a question with everyone who is saying go with monoprice, does anyone know if they have a lifetime guarantee?

I tried looking on the monoprice website about the warranties, but this is all I found:

Warranties

Most manufacturers offer a standard warranty against defects. Such warranties typically cover the product for at least 30 days from the date of invoice. To look up basic warranty information, find the product using one of our searches and click on the product name to bring up the product's information. Warranty information is listed under "Product Details" near the bottom of the page. If a product proves to be defective during the covered period, call Customer Service at 1-909-989-6887 and we will arrange to repair or replace your product according to the manufacturer's terms.

I suggest calling their toll-free number if you'd like more information.