IIS wwwroot permission

Question

Hey,

i am currently sharing my Inetpub/wwwroot folder over my network so that its contents can be modified on any of my development computers... i have mapped it as a network drive

the only thing isi can only read files.. i cant make a new folder or delete anything... please help me out

7 answers to this question

Right click, Properties, remove the tick from "Read-only"? May work. Not familiar with IIS, but on Unix boxes, the thing you'd want is called "CHMOD" - maybe look into the equivalent of it on IIS? I'm sure Google can help.

Hey,

i am currently sharing my Inetpub/wwwroot folder over my network so that its contents can be modified on any of my development computers... i have mapped it as a network drive

the only thing isi can only read files.. i cant make a new folder or delete anything... please help me out

You need to give write/modify permissions tot he User Group and make sure that the User Group is assigned to that folder.

Okay... if I read your post correctly then your developers are connecting to a network drive.

First things first, create a new user group and call it "Web Devs" or something meaningful to you. You should be able to manage users and groups by Right Clicking on the My Computer icon and clicking Manage, then browsing to "Local Users and Groups" and then working in the "Groups" folder.

Make sure to add their individual User accounts to that group's membership, too.

On the SERVER hosting the networked resource(s) (not the client machines), browse to the wwwroot folder, Right Click on it, click Properties, and goto the Security tab. You'll see an Add button underneath of the "Group or User Names:" listbox. Click the Add button, add the group, and then make sure that, at the very least, "Read & Execute", "List Folder Contents", "Read", and "Write" are checked. If it's not too big of a deal for you then you could just check "Full Control" and call it done.

Click the "Advanced" button now. Check the box for "Replace the entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects" box, click Ok, then Ok again. If there were any folders that gave the Network Service write/modify permissions you'll want to reset those permissions, but that should set you up pretty well.

I hope it helped. Let me know... also, in the next to last sentence of the third paragraph, "Modify" should be checked, too. Good Luck... that was from memory so I may have forgotten something.