Your First App

Question

Just a nostalgia thread (and move if necessary)... What was the first app you ever wrote?

My dad has a catalogue of about 20,000 products - as an excel spreadsheet. He decides that this is inneficcient and a database is needed. And apparently I am the person to do it...

No knowledge of VB or Access, I am tasked with writing a database driven app to give better access to the product range. To be distributed on CD...

So I lean VB, I learn Access, and using data-bound controls produce a simple app that displays all the item information, allows browsing with "forward" and "backward" controls.

And a search function that looks at each item until it finds the one it wants. Which takes a few minutes to run.

I look back now and laugh at how poorly it was put together, but also in fondness of the weekend I spent learning.

14 answers to this question

My first real app was a calibration application for a Fluke Digital Voltmeter. It was written in QBASIC 4.5 and controlled an HPIB bus to the calibration instrument, whose model number eludes me. It was a fairly sad application compared to how I write today. It was a great learning experience, though, for retrieving and storing data then generating a report from it. I was also really ignorant of programming practices and the language itself. Good times -- good times.

My first real app was The Internet Recharge System - a Delphi application.

Basically, it was just a smart datawarehouse application. it collects all the users internet access records for a month from one database and summarised it in another, while also grouping users by section from another database.

We needed this system to keep a summary of peoples internet usage, as monthly internet usage records are deleted every after 3 months. The database has about 3 gig of records a month so the want to clear the database regularly.....

On that note, I'm in the top 20 highest internet usage users.... doh!

helloworld.exe :p

I kinda lost interest after that :shiftyninja:

now i mostly make web based php 'apps'... might get into it again sometime, when i have the time..

My first app was an IRC client written in VB6. I planned on moving it over to C/C++ but that never happend (err well actually it's still a pending project...)

Am... Turbo Pascal "Hello World" long time ago, later I got Delphi 7 (I still have original CD). And now, C#, JAVA, C++, C, Pascal, PHP,... Most of the knowledge will be improved in university, where I am going to study Software Development and Web Design.

I can't remember the first program, but I wrote a number of programs in BASIC on my trusty Atari 800XL back in the mid-80s. And I got to save them to the wonderful model 1050 5-1/4" floppy drive. :D

Come to think of it, I actually remember saving a couple of the programs to cassette tape drive. :rofl:

Ah, the good old days. :cool:

a program that allowed you to control your mouse onscreen from a joystick/gamepad connected to the PC through DirectInput :D

written in VB6 :D

still have the source :)

My first app was hello world in pascal!!

However the first app i was actualy proud of was one which i made a company which enabled people to send files over xmodem, 1kxmodem, and some other protocol. It also involved sessions, xml and such. Pretty cool project actually.

First formal program was/is Galore Browser, still in Alpha :p

On that note, the first informal program was one we did at school 2 1/2 years back... for managing Band Members in a school band. Involved filtering data in Excel and the like.