Windows Vista vs. Mac OS X

Essentially you listed the specs for both OS's. That's like me comparing a Hyundai and a Mercedes. They're both going to drive. One's going to suck.

So since Windows Vista offers far more and is more advanced since it can run on thousands of different hardware combinations, its pretty clear that Vista is the Mercedes here and Mac OS X is a Hyundai.

First of all, that doesn't matter since the features for Vista have been confirmed already

uh yes it does, becuase as the person you quoted said It isn't out yet for cousmers. He wasn't even sharing his experance, just stating the facts. and he wasnt tallking about any features

osx is out long time ago ...vista's not even out for consumer....let's wait for time to come and see vista in every-day action :)

first verson of OSX came out around the time XP did. and that verson sucked i heard. It wasn't untill around the 3rd or 4th realise when OSX became a popluar OS. I agree though, lets wait till vista and leopard are BOTH realsed to the plubic before we start judgeing them..

Edited by Tech_Dude_5000

Vista still freezes for me.... and there are lots of bugs so right now I would not say that it's as good as OS X.

If Vista freezes then you have hardware problems, period. Don't blame Vista because your machine is broken.

Sounds like someone pasted a bunch of marketing gack. There really is no "better." There is only preference, and I am not too arrogant as to tell someone their opinion in wrong.

If Vista freezes then you have hardware problems, period. Don't blame Vista because your machine is broken.

That is quite the definitive statement. I wish I knew Vista and hardware as well as you to be able to make a diagnosis like that. I guess I did not learn as much as you before getting my MCSE and MCDBA.

To be fair, I do prefer OSX. I see the Mac as an experience and the PC as a tool. I admit that I have only evaluated Vista for work. My team determined that it would be 1.5-2 years before we can begin transitioning XP machines. The CIO agreed. We also evaluated OSX at the same time. We felt the transition time would be the same but the training dollars required to move over 10,000 users would be too high. When we do rollout Vista, it will be in classic mode and we will allow users to play with the new interface as they see fit. We are not planning on supporting the new GUI for at least 6 months after we begin transitioning machines (officially).

still using 5477 and its solid- i've got rtm but havent got round to installing it. vista is definatly a solid OS...

Apple lost my respect since their stabs at MS at their conference about photocopiers and cheap shots at comapring Mac OS 10 and vista.. :no: wonder what their secret new feature is in leopard

still using 5477 and its solid- i've got rtm but havent got round to installing it. vista is definatly a solid OS...

Apple lost my respect since their stabs at MS at their conference about photocopiers and cheap shots at comapring Mac OS 10 and vista.. :no: wonder what their secret new feature is in leopard

Well, microsoft did kind of copy OSX a bit. The keynote was a bit misleading, such as "working on a relase with many many names. Vista has only has 2. There was the code name, longhorn, then the final - Vista.

as for their TOP seacret feature:

MAC OSX surport on pcs?

Well, microsoft did kind of copy OSX a bit. The keynote was a bit misleading, such as "working on a relase with many many names. Vista has only has 2. There was the code name, longhorn, then the final - Vista.

as for their TOP seacret feature:

MAC OSX surport on pcs?

The day they let Mac OS X work on all pc's is the day Mac OS X will have its death signed. It isn't ready for that, neither is Apple.

Apple was rude about Microsoft during the keynote but Microsoft has done similar things in the past. So why not ditch Vista too?

Ahh, Vista and Tiger are the same to me, the only thing different is that Tiger has a better GUI than XP, but I'd prefer Vista's GUI over Tiger. But they are still the same and you can still do the same on OS X and WIndows. You can surf the web, download photos, watch movies, chat, play *some* games...thats my ponit of view of OS X and Windows. What, you need to crop a picture quickly? ok you can install a program, and since many pc manufactors already ship Photostarter or something like that, your good to go...

To tell you the truth, I use my PC more than my Mac. I'm more used to Windows... I've started out with Windows 95.. :whistle:

Windows Vista is not going to work as we spect on first try; We must, I believe, give it at least time fora Service Pack 1;

Windows XP Service Pack 2 is a real though OS, it is almost perfect; But compare it to XP version 2000, that was bad... it still is; I just had my hands on a client's pc with Windows XP Version 2000 (no service pack, no nothing... :huh: )

And somebody here said Windows Vista still has stuff from 3.1 and 95... it is Windows after all mate, if it gets redesigned and over all remastered, then it will not be Windows, it will be Microsoft's something-else; Mac os hasn't change the way it displays the main menu on top of the screen, neither the way it displays windows and handles files; No matter how many times they upgrade their OSes, both Windows and Mac OS, they will still have to be Windows and Mac Os; if Vienna or Mesa or Rome or whatever the heck it is that Microsoft is supposedly working on and if it is totally, not even wait, if it is at least 50% different than previous versions of Windows, then it is not Windows...

why is it that people insist in changing something that cannot be changed?

honestly i am holding off on making an opinion till visa is out w/ some real support, OSX SUCKED till it had some good support after a year or so.

I love the ground work in vista but i also like that OSX is BSD based...but i hate both interfaces...I'm staying with XP for now.

Windows Vista is not going to work as we spect on first try; We must, I believe, we must give it at least time fora Service Pack 1, I believe this;

Windows XP Service Pack 2 is a real though OS, it is almost perfect; But compare it to XP version 2000, that was bad... it still is; I just had my hands on a client's pc with Windows XP Version 2000 (no service pack, no nothing... :huh: )

Here is a little thing about vista and vista's SP1

Before that happens, you can expect to hear more about the Windows Ultimate Extras that Microsoft will supply to Windows Vista Ultimate customers: Those will ship sometime in January. And no, there won't be a Windows Vista Plus! pack: Ultimate Extras is it, and only available to those who pony up for that most expensive Vista version.

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1, codenamed "Fiji") is due in late 2007 alongside Windows Longhorn Server, as is the next version of Windows Media Center, though Microsoft is still not sure how they'll ship that latter upgrade. Vista SP1, despite the name, is going to be a major upgrade: It will include a new version of the Windows kernel (version 6.1), bringing Vista up to date with the changes Microsoft is baking into the next Windows Server version.

As for Windows Vista R2 (codenamed "Vienna"), I think it's safe to say that the calm and calculating hand of Steven Sinofsky will ensure that this and other future Windows versions will arrive on schedule and be evolutionary, rather than revolutionary, upgrades. Sinofsky's record with Microsoft Office is as clear as it is successful, and there's little doubt he'll have a positive effect on the Windows Division.

Source

We'll see if that last pargraph, the statements in bold will come true.....

I honesty hate the fact that you took my SN. ...

anyway, I've seen a dell that has 8GB ram. But most desktops can hold up to 4GB. Laptops up to 2GB. So theres more then just 2GB ram in a computer...

as for your first post, I know you "hate" mac OSX because its to "plan" looking and the macs are to "plan"and macbooks need "nano" colors. but think about it? The mac is mostly used by people who want to do a lot of multimedia work, graphic disigners, photographers, and flim people. Also for those who are geting sick and tired of virus and crap..... So most people don't want childish colors on their computers. Me, I personly like sliver and black, may be a few glosy finishes. along with LED lights that have a color that will go well with the computer.

You say you know a lot, but the fact that your 12 and beta testing from connect brings up some problems. I'm 16, been intrested in computers since age 9. most was all self taught, and now I'm like the family tech, and a "simi" student tech at school. ( meaning, I help a few of my teachers, ). I beame part of the CPP back in June, and submited around 50 bugs. ( i had a busy summer, and then school starting in september, but i submited when i could )

So bascly, just think outside the box, don't be all up in everyones face on what they like. If they are an apple fan boy, so be it. If they are waitng for vista to come out like you should be doing, then let them.

Also, for being one of the youngest people on neowin, you should be listening to the ones that have been here longer and ones that are older and wiser and acutly don't lie and cheat their way in beta programs.

Not here to flame you, but just speaking the truth.....

Yea is 8gigs currently a standard, NO...

dude i was self taught too, geez im not some kid who was taught by his parents or brother...

first of all msconnect wont allow 16 year olds either, only 18 years of age and up, wow u no nothing...

i submitted more bugs than u! heh, did u forget how to submit a bug lol!

havent u heard of reviews and such? thats wat this is...

yes u r flaming me, and i didnt cheat my way into the beta program, yea the age thing and thats all!

MODERATOR: i am tired of this dude picking on me, i am about to flame him right now, so please put some sorta block on him so he cant view my posts, topics, or anything of me on neowin becauz all he does is flame at me about my posts and of my age and much more, please and thanku!

uh yes it does, becuase as the person you quoted said It isn't out yet for cousmers. He wasn't even sharing his experance, just stating the facts. and he wasnt tallking about any features

first verson of OSX came out around the time XP did. and that verson sucked i heard. It wasn't untill around the 3rd or 4th realise when OSX became a popluar OS. I agree though, lets wait till vista and leopard are BOTH realsed to the plubic before we start judgeing them..

dude, i dont care about time or performance right now, im talking bout that feature list that is offical and wont change so stop saying but but, i am comparing it to osx tiger, and i will compare vista sp1 with leopard, and thats that! :D

Yea is 8gigs currently a standard, NO...

dude i was self taught too, geez im not some kid who was taught by his parents or brother...

first of all msconnect wont allow 16 year olds either, only 18 years of age and up, wow u no nothing...

i submitted more bugs than u! heh, did u forget how to submit a bug lol!

havent u heard of reviews and such? thats wat this is...

yes u r flaming me, and i didnt cheat my way into the beta program, yea the age thing and thats all!

MODERATOR: i am tired of this dude picking on me, i am about to flame him right now, so please put some sorta block on him so he cant view my posts, topics, or anything of me on neowin becauz all he does is flame at me about my posts and of my age and much more, please and thanku!

dude, i dont care about time or performance right now, im talking bout that feature list that is offical and wont change so stop saying but but, i am comparing it to osx tiger, and i will compare vista sp1 with leopard, and thats that! :D

how about we just ignore each other and if we got a problem we take it in PM alright?

people will be opening computer boxes at Christmas time and see 64 bit computers that support a lot of RAM and will have a lot of RAM, maybe 2 gigs! :D

Those people are called, "Spoiled Kiddies".

He's only saying what everyone else is thinking...

and i will compare vista sp1 with leopard, and thats that! :D

No, please don't. (And no, I am not "JEALOUS" about anything.)

The day they let Mac OS X work on all pc's is the day Mac OS X will have its death signed. It isn't ready for that, neither is Apple.

What kind of a statement is that? Sounds more like the typical elitist apple fanboy than something elaborate.

The only problem I would see with OSX would be driver issues, since the only drivers available atm are the ones for the hardware apple choses for their computers. But if they released it, they would do something about it.

I don't think OSX would do bad at all if it was released...

I spent ~40 minutes writing my long post and Windows just crashed. What I can say, resume of my post supposed to be: Get the Mac OS X or Linux, those OSes is better than Windows.

Mercedes

Made of metal

4 tyres

Steering wheel

Windows

Seats

Mirrors

Ford

Made of metal

4 tyres

Steering wheel

Windows

Seats

Mirrors

Rear lights almost on roof.

----

Ford has more features on my list, so it must be better...right?

Each feature is surely implemented just as well on the Ford as it is on the Mercedes...right?

The Ford costs less than the Mercedes, so it must be better...right?

More people drive a Ford than a Mercedes, so it must be better...right?

Somebody cares about my constant attempts to bash a vehicle that I have never driven, when most grown ups are just using theirs to get from A to B...right?

Wrong.

Edited by _Pablo

I don't get why a lot of Apple fanboys claim that Windows Vista copied A LOT from OSX.

First of all, OSX does the same with Windows too (Time Machine = Windows Vista Volume Shadow Copy with added Special FX)

Second, Aero looks as different from OSX as XP does from OSX.

Here's a reason why people will buy Vista:

DirectX 10.

Here's a reason why people won't easily switch...

To Apple: OSX interface is like a jungle to the normal Windows user - and yes, it is more of a jungle than Vista to Windows users.

To Linux: I won't go to specifics, you can argue as much as you want with me, but Linux is not nearly as user-friendly as Windows.

Here's a reason why I tend to bash Apple:

Besides, Apple is monopolistic by nature, they tend to control the market they have too much (They impose their software to go only with their hardware).