[Soccer] Cannavaro claims Ballon d'Or.

Fabio Cannavaro has been voted European Footballer of the Year, with Gianluigi Buffon second and Thierry Henry third.

Experienced centre half Cannavaro has claimed the coveted Ballon d'Or award after captaining Italy to World Cup success.

He also led Juventus to the Serie A title before the Italian giants were stripped of the honour for their role in the match-fixing scandal.

After the World Cup finals, Cannavaro followed his former Juve coach Fabio Capello to Real Madrid and he had been widely tipped to win the prize.

Cannavaro was delighted to be voted the 2006 winner and he becomes just the third defender to be named European Footballer of the Year after German duo Franz Beckenbauer and Matthias Sammer.

"Of course I will bring this trophy back to Madrid, but I would also love to bring it to Turin," said Cannavaro.

"My season at Juventus was just outstanding. I played 37 matches and scored four goals, all decisive."

He also offered his gratitude to his team-mates, adding: "It is thanks to them that I have been able to show my qualities on the pitch.

"So I want to thank my Juve team-mates and all my colleagues from the Nazionale."

Second spot in the voting went to Buffon, who was Italy's keeper at the World Cup and opted to stay at Juventus after the club's demotion to Serie B.

Arsenal captain Henry took third place after inspiring The Gunners to the UEFA Champions League final, and also helping France reach the World Cup final.

I don't think many people will be that happy about the result, but I believe Cannavaro to be a worthy winner. I am a bit surprised Buffon is ahead of Henry though. It is the international managers that decide the winner I think?

:/.

Fair play to him, hes an excellent player (Y)

But Buffon ahead of Henry is a tough one, Henry should have got second.

Good to see everyones gone past the idea of giving Ronaldinho every award going.

this is where the fact that players of teams who win things get the prizes, how much of an effect did cannavaro have? did save any certain goals? did he score a lot?

just because he was italies captain doesn't mean he should be singled out as the reason they won

Hes a defender, not a keeper or striker. You dont have to score goals or save shots to be a good footballer.

Im not saying that Italy wouldnt have won if he wasnt on the team, but he definately made a hell of a contribution to the squad.

Hes a defender, not a keeper or striker. You dont have to score goals or save shots to be a good footballer.

Im not saying that Italy wouldnt have won if he wasnt on the team, but he definately made a hell of a contribution to the squad.

I agree and also on the topic of awards anyone see the World Player of the Year Nominations....

Cannavaro,Zidane or Ronaldinho...Henry missed out again :unsure:

I think it will be Cannavaro again ;)

Henry is a player from my team I have supported 31 seasons, Arsenal as you all know.

I still find it odd how every year he gets on short lists for european, world player of the year thing.

There are better players even in the premiership that never get voted for & are not as fast but do a better job than he does.

The only time I thought he was top class was wc 98 and first few seasons at Arsenal.

Past 3 to 4 years he has become an ordinary striker.

Henry is a player from my team I have supported 31 seasons, Arsenal as you all know.

I still find it odd how every year he gets on short lists for european, world player of the year thing.

There are better players even in the premiership that never get voted for & are not as fast but do a better job than he does.

The only time I thought he was top class was wc 98 and first few seasons at Arsenal.

Past 3 to 4 years he has become an ordinary striker.

Really? I thought with you being a die hard football fan you would appreciate a good striker. Henry has averaged just less than a goal a game in the league in recently years, not many football players have done that. Even though he has only been in England for about seven years he is currently the third highest goalscorer in Premiership history (behind Shearer and Cole). He is a passionate player and a great professional. Not sure who you are referring to when you say there are better strikers in the Premiership at the moment though :/.

Renamed the title to Soccer to help ppl not from europe understand the thread is about soccer, and not football

Well, it is football. "Soccer" is called football everywhere in the world except for America.

drogba is no where near as good as henry :p

and

That may be, but Football is referred to as multiple sports....Soccer isn't. It's for clarity, as Neowin is everywhere in the world including America.

if it refers to multiple sports, why is american football allowed to use football as a tag/title/whatever? there is other places in the world except America!

You may not like the term soccer, but it clearly identifies the two to all parties.

That's not true.. The term football doesn't clearly identify to europeans that it's going to be american football. You even said yourself football is referred to as multiple sports. If anything it should be Soccer and American Football for clarity, not just the general term Football.

Back on topic, fully deserved award. (Y)

:blink: I just explained it....

Football = European football and American Football. Confusion for multiple users

=====

Soccer = European Football

Football = American Football

You may not like the term soccer, but it clearly identifies the two to all parties.

that makes no sense. europeans see football, they think "soccer", americans see it, they think american football. you can't say using a word confuses people then actually use it! if you can't use football for soccer then you shouldnt be able to use it all

Sorry...It's just how we do it here at Neowin. Learn to like it. :)

so you want the unclear way? then you won't mind me posting in the "football" threads asking for the unclear title to be changed :rolleyes:

that makes no sense. europeans see football, they think "soccer", americans see it, they think american football. you can't say using a word confuses people then actually use it! if you can't use football for soccer then you shouldnt be able to use it all

I fully agree... this is so logical and so easy.

That's not true.. The term football doesn't clearly identify to europeans that it's going to be american football. You even said yourself football is referred to as multiple sports. If anything it should be Soccer and American Football for clarity, not just the general term Football.

I propose a new tag:

[Football, not the American one]

:whistle:

... and

[American Football, not the real one] :D