Can you "hear" electricity?

Like when a TV is left on a video input with nothing on, i can hear the TV's electrical current. Or if the Radio is on, but on mute - same thing. Anyone else which can hear it?

Like when a TV is left on a video input with nothing on, i can hear the TV's electrical current. Or if the Radio is on, but on mute - same thing. Anyone else which can hear it?

When the TV is left on you're not hearing electricity persay instead you're hearing the high pitched hum of the tube. But yea I know what you mean. Also when walking near High Powered powerlines you can hear the hum from the current.

That's crazy me too.

i used to be able to. haven't really tried to now. can anyone here smell electricity?

maybe burning from an electrical fire. ;)

you supposedly lose the ability to hear higher pitches as you get older so maybe those that can't hear the high pitched hum are just older :s

You notice it most when theres a power outage and theres true silence.

OK, so just to summarize and clarify:

• You cannot hear electrical current
  • You can hear complicated physical phenomena secondary to high-voltage transmission
  • 120 Hz is not high-frequency, so obviously that's not the explanation
  • The TV sound is probably related to the machinery inside (likely the cathode ray tub)
  • Be careful what you read on the interweb...

Yup know eactly what u mean, when i was younger i could walk by someones house and hear weird humming or "electrical noise" come from the house :s

Same here :) And I'm the only one in the family who can hear that sound too, its strange.

I've been told I have good hearing tho from the doctor.

I'm pretty sure you're not hearing the flow of electrons, but transformers playing with voltage and such - but I could be wrong. The article on Metafilter seems to indicate me being wrong, but eh, whatever. Transformers do make a lot of noise, relative to nothing.

I can hear it too although I doubt it is the sound of electricity. Probably just the sound of the resistance or the voltage regulator crap.

If you smelling electricity, its time to get rid of whatever you using. :p

OK, so just to summarize and clarify:

• You cannot hear electrical current
  • You can hear complicated physical phenomena secondary to high-voltage transmission
  • 120 Hz is not high-frequency, so obviously that's not the explanation
  • The TV sound is probably related to the machinery inside (likely the cathode ray tub)
  • Be careful what you read on the interweb...

A sane reply, thank God!

LOL, and the few belong to this very board :argh:

Yes, I must say some of the people here rationalize on a level that borders on the infantile!

The sound of electricity is infinatly loud and silent.

Until you have actually heard the sound of electricity it could sound like any noise produced by anything.

Isn't it like one of those questions that has something to do with quantum physics.

i used to be able to. haven't really tried to now. can anyone here smell electricity?

Yeah I know what you mean. That could be ozone that you're smelling.

Just what I was going to say.

And no I don't think you can hear electricity. Sound is caused by vibrations in whatever substance i.e. air, metal (pipes). I don't think electrons are capable of producing any amount of detectable vibration (this could be very bad for CPUS and the like!)

I have heard that high frequency sound though. I think it is down to the electrical equipment itself. My parents can't hear it - as you age you lose the ability to hear the highest frequencies that you could when you were younger. I can't hear above 16 KHz (or what ever the unit is) any more :s