[NCAA Basketball] Greg Oden

Alright, I'm counting on all my fellow college basketball fans for some info. Ever since the summer, I keep hearing about Greg Oden and how he's going to be the best thing to happen to college basketball since Bill Walton. Watching the OSU-UNC game right now (my first chance to watch OSU), Dick Vitale is ranting and raving - as usual - about this kid, saying he will be the best player in college in the last 30 years. Now, we've seen some GREAT college basketball players in recent years and some we wish would have went to college for at least a year (LeBron, Tracy McGrady, Kobe).

Is this kid really worth the hype? Is this all the "ESPN effect" or does he legitimately deserve the title of "best to come through in 30 years"? I find it interesting that we got fed a few Sebastian Telfair high school games yet we got nothing on Greg Oden.

:)

Well thats what they say. Im not sure though, they put ohio state ranked in the top 5 this season, and I thought that was pretty stupid. Top 15 maybe, but it looks like they knew what they were talking about. As for Oden, he pretty much swatted every shot that came inside the lane durring the McDonalds game, which was against the best high school players. He came out, becase he got hurt, i think he had 5 blocks, but only played like 10 minutes or something like that.

And if you think he would have made a difference in that game he probably wouldnt have. He would have fouled out in the first half. The way those sissy ACC refs call games, and with Kyle Divac down low, you cant even play defense.

Im still not quite sure if oden is only 19 though, im guessing mid 30's, at least.

Nah, I wasn't thinking about Oden against UNC imparticular, just in general. I was hoping you'd reply to this since you're the resident Buckeye fan. OSU comes to Gainesville on the 23rd and I'm just trying to get an idea what this kid might bring. I think OSU is a good team waiting to be great (Conley forced some stuff late but that Lewis kid was amazing). Obviously, these guys are freshmen and they WILL get better. I honestly haven't heard this much hype about an incoming freshman in a long time but I guess we'll see on the 23rd :)

Times like this really makes college football pale in comparison to basketball. We get to see these matchups before conference play and yet the Tournament is still exciting and is like a fresh start. I'm sure OSU is the only football team on the planet right now not wanting a playoff ;)

Well thats what they say. Im not sure though, they put ohio state ranked in the top 5 this season, and I thought that was pretty stupid. Top 15 maybe, but it looks like they knew what they were talking about. As for Oden, he pretty much swatted every shot that came inside the lane durring the McDonalds game, which was against the best high school players. He came out, becase he got hurt, i think he had 5 blocks, but only played like 10 minutes or something like that.

And if you think he would have made a difference in that game he probably wouldnt have. He would have fouled out in the first half. The way those sissy ACC refs call games, and with Kyle Divac down low, you cant even play defense.

Im still not quite sure if oden is only 19 though, im guessing mid 30's, at least.

4 blocks, 19 minutes.

http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/2006_stats.pdf ;)

Oh, my mistake. But that still is pretty damn good. He changed alot of shots inside though.

I was hoping he would come out this game though. He has been warming up with the team before games, and then going back and changing into street clothes before the start. How cool would that have been if he just suited up and came out to play, nobody would have expected that. He should be back by the flordia game though.

Flordia it seems play pretty good plays pretty good D on three's. Which ohio state shoots alot of. Last year i think they had 12 3's in the first half against michigan. I hope they can get away from that, because when someone stops it they are going to be screwed.

Edited by reidtheweed01

I watched him play today, and im not going to try to be some stupid homer fan, ill say what i thought. I will say this, he looked pretty damn slow at first. It took him awhile to get in to it. He seemed like he was getting pushed around at first. He wouldnt really do all that much when it came to rebounding, im guessing it had something to do with the fact he had a cast on his right hand. After awhile he was starting to push back, and started to control the key more. The one thing you could tell is that when he came in was that they pretty much stayed out of the key the entire time. All in all he played good for his first game and only really having one hand, after a few games when he gets his cast off he should be up to speed. He had some trouble hanging onto the ball though.

He had 14,10,5 which was good considering he really only played one half.

This kid is the truth. I've watched him dominate my HS basketball team for the past couple of years. He made Josh McRoberts look like a little boy. The man shot 70% from the field last year.

14 points, 10 rebounds, 5 blocks is amazing for literally playing with one hand. He's playing without his dominant hand, as well.

• 3 weeks later...

greg oden was awesomely shut down today by my gators. consider it a taste of things to come on january 8th 8)

Hes played lazy and slow in every game, but i wouldnt call it awesomely shut down. Going up against that sissy noah he looked pretty good, and that was the only time he played good. It was easy for noah to act like a hardass when oden left the game, which is exactly what he did, but when he came back in big ###### noah didnt do anything other then get his dunk blocked. After that happened it was a done deal for me, Noah is hands down the biggest sissy in all of college basketball.

How are you going to bring up Joakim Noah and conveniently ignore the fact that Al Horford dominated Oden today? Typical. I'm expecting the exact same retort come January 9th. There's some Buckeye fan over at the Gator forums complaining that Noah is too flashy and beats his chest too much. Are you kidding me? Oh, I get it...you Big 11 fans only wait until you experience it to actually open your mouth. Do you guys watch any sports outside of when OSU is playing?

On the more technical side...reid, what do you think of Thad Matta? From what I've seen against UNC and now UF, he has no control over his kids on the court. You've got a (supposedly) dominating 7-foot big man and you guys take more threes from NBA range than Oden touches the ball! Unbelievable. Even from my biased position I was hoping Oden would get the ball more. He busts his tail up and down the court and those perimeter guys are jacking up threes like nothing. Conley was the only guy even looking to penetrate. I'm convinced that if OSU doesn't hit threes they will get beat - which is a sign of a poor team when you can't adjust to the game. What a waste of talent.

How are you going to bring up Joakim Noah and conveniently ignore the fact that Al Horford dominated Oden today? Typical. I'm expecting the exact same retort come January 9th. There's some Buckeye fan over at the Gator forums complaining that Noah is too flashy and beats his chest too much. Are you kidding me? Oh, I get it...you Big 11 fans only wait until you experience it to actually open your mouth. Do you guys watch any sports outside of when OSU is playing?

On the more technical side...reid, what do you think of Thad Matta? From what I've seen against UNC and now UF, he has no control over his kids on the court. You've got a (supposedly) dominating 7-foot big man and you guys take more threes from NBA range than Oden touches the ball! Unbelievable. Even from my biased position I was hoping Oden would get the ball more. He busts his tail up and down the court and those perimeter guys are jacking up threes like nothing. Conley was the only guy even looking to penetrate. I'm convinced that if OSU doesn't hit threes they will get beat - which is a sign of a poor team when you can't adjust to the game. What a waste of talent.

For one ive never said greg oden was anything special, i said he was to damn slow and lazy, which he is. As for noah, you cant even deny it, hes a ######, he flops like divac, and tries to act like hes something tuff, and he showed today, and dont try to say ohio state fans are just saying that. That has always been something people have said about him, he plays like a girl, and cries on the court. Ohio State has always shot a shitload of threes and its always been stupid, they have been doing it ever since matta game in, and i for one have always hated it. Matta has won some very big games over the last few years. The north carolina game they could have won, but as usually they blow it in the second half, which is something they have always done with matta. They cant EVER keep a second half lead, not matter who they play. Which is probably because their stupid 3's, they run the shot clock down, and then just throw up a 3, and the other teams just get back in the game.

and yes conley is good and has been my favorite of the freshman since the start, and in my opinon hes the best of them all.

I know you've been honest about Oden...I actually read this thread, since I started it. I appreciate your honesty, going back to your first reply, when you said you're not sure about him.

As for Noah, I can see why the comments are made about him, but if a guy who plays like a girl goes out there and gets double-doubles and sets shot blocking records in the national title game, then maybe we should let women into men's college basketball? It's just like Dennis Rodman. Everyone hated him for his antics, including me, but the guy busted his ass every night and did what was asked of him. And I'll dismiss your "Divac" comparison because you said the exact same thing about the UNC game - that Oden would have fouled out in the UNC game because the refs fell for the Divac-like flops. I don't remember Noah doing that one time today. But it's cool.

As it was said during the Florida/OSU game, I feel that Noah is the Gator's best cheerleader. I give him credit for being a great athlete, but I think his emotions sometimes get the best of him and he is criticized because of it.

As it was said during the Florida/OSU game, I feel that Noah is the Gator's best cheerleader. I give him credit for being a great athlete, but I think his emotions sometimes get the best of him and he is criticized because of it.

Absolutely. If he wants to look like a beast down low, he should consider cutting his hair. His hair makes him look like a girl.