AutoPatcher XP November 2006

still trying to find out if this is safe to use on the wifes' XP MEDIA CENTER. Worked fine on my XP PRO, but I'm not clear as regards the mediacenter version. Would love to be able to bring her up to speed.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

It's safe to use but it won't be fully updated as AutoPatcher has no way to detect MCE, and therefore can't apply MCE-only patches. You'll still need to go onto WU/MU to download and install those.

It's safe to use but it won't be fully updated as AutoPatcher has no way to detect MCE, and therefore can't apply MCE-only patches. You'll still need to go onto WU/MU to download and install those.

Thanks for the quick reply. I should be able to bring her critical updates up to speed, then, since they should be 'global' to the XP community.

I'd love to get her set up in XP Pro, but there is no upgrade path for Media Center -it has to be a complete re-install -which just isn't feasible (my computer is a nice test-bed, since I use removable main-drives and can change my OS as simply as turning off the machine, swapping drive trays, and powering up again. HERS is a mission-critical machine)

Thanks again for the speed!

i really dont understand why several people are having module panic errors with the msxml 3 module. @alabasterdragon, can you confirm you have a file called msxml_enu.amc in c:\program files\autopatcher\modules\components\

I'm having the same problem and I can confirm that I don't have that file there, but there is a msxml6_enu.amc in \components\msxml, renaming/moving the file as above doesn't help.

Edited by Pyrus

i am looking for an answer these days but i can;t find it. will there be a greek version of atopatcher??? or must i wait for december release?

btw, autopatcher i great! thanks to all the people that r involved!

Thanks guys. Last night I had to set up a friend's new gateway laptop and she only has dialup. I was dreading it until I remembered Autopatcher and my wonderful 15mbit connection lol. You saved me a lot of time and frustration.

Thanks for all the fantastic work AP guy's , been a great help :)

bangbang023:

"... Last night I had to set up a friend's new gateway laptop and she only has dialup. I was dreading it until I remembered Autopatcher and my wonderful 15mbit connection lol. You saved me a lot of time and frustration."

Speaking of "time & frustration" :whistle: I think the ever increasing size of AutoPatcher monthly releases , and the lack of Torrents for earlier monthly releases , and Updates will unfortuneatly make the program defunct for a lot of people :( As bangbang023 said ; "... she only has dialup. I was dreading it until I remembered Autopatcher and my wonderful 15mbit connection lol. "

Users with slow Internet connections find a 300 MB (+) download awesomely unattractive . Plus each months release can only grow in size , Win XP sp3 next year will be a doozy if your not up to date !

Admins with a fast connection aren't too worried about downloading AutoPatcher , or a visit to MS Update if a WIN XP setup is required. Slipstreaming the updates onto their Win XP disk aint a hassle , and applying to comps on their network a breeze.

My Network is in a area where only dialup is available , and as I'm out of synch with the Update packs for my AP_April_XP_Full.exe Novembers offering at over 300 MB's is a bummer . Searched the Net for Torrents of Monthly Updates , but gave up in dismay.

Just my 2 cents worth , sounds like a whinge I know ; at least I have a headstart with the April full.exe. Great program , keep at it guys !

Blaze, if you find time, please make sure whether WIE7 and WMP11 are the latest versions. And please rename "Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP Pro SP2" module to "Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP Pro SP2" in AP December. :)

P. S. Where has the update for Windows Script gone? I can't find it in AP. :|

Any chance of a consistent source to get Autopatcher each month? As much as I appreciate the work you guys put in, each and every month it's the same hassle to actually get hold of it. 403's, 404's and my favourite, "you tried to hotlink". Seven links I have just tried here today, and not ONE of them has so far allowed me to download either the full, or the update. Cheers.

Any chance of a consistent source to get Autopatcher each month? As much as I appreciate the work you guys put in, each and every month it's the same hassle to actually get hold of it. 403's, 404's and my favourite, "you tried to hotlink". Seven links I have just tried here today, and not ONE of them has so far allowed me to download either the full, or the update. Cheers.

Yes, the torrents. :)

so I used autopatcher to install defender, IE7, and WMP11 into my system successfully. It didn't asked for validation or anything except for WMP11 which all I did was click validate and that was it. I installed on a system with no internet connection so will it ask for validation when I connect to internet or will the programs to attempt to check with microsoft for validation again?

My Network is in a area where only dialup is available , and as I'm out of synch with the Update packs for my AP_April_XP_Full.exe Novembers offering at over 300 MB's is a bummer . Searched the Net for Torrents of Monthly Updates , but gave up in dismay.

Just my 2 cents worth , sounds like a whinge I know ; at least I have a headstart with the April full.exe. Great program , keep at it guys !

my mirror (http://ap.watchin.me.uk) has all the autopatcher xp releases going back to (and including) december 2005

- Java 6 is out - http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

- Remove non-working "Disable sticky keys" option. It does nothing since SP2.

- IE7 doesn't seem to install half the time.

- Still reboots midway through updating a machine that has been AP'd in the past.

IE7 is probably not installing because the OS has not been activated or it's not passing WGA Validation for some other reason.

WMP11 also fails to install but for other reasons including .Net Framework 1.1 + SP1 not being installed and the MCE 2005 updates being missing on XP MCE.

On the subject of things not working I have noted that:

. The security updates for .NET Framework 2 do not always install on the first run with APXP. I suspect this is because on clean systems without .NET Framework 2 already installed, they are run before .Net Framework 3 is installed.

If the ordering was changed to install .Net Framework 3 first then this issue might be resolved.

. The Euro Flags ScreenSaver is NEVER installed from within APXP

. The two ClearType tweaks NEVER seem to work and in fact remove ClearType if it's already applied. Is this tweak broken?

. KB891122 never seems to show as installed. I am not sure if this is a detection or an installation issue at this point.

There are one or two other older updates which sometimes show up on Windows Update but are not included including the MS Java Update and an hotfix for .Net 1.0. Perhaps these could also be included for completeness.

Kind Regards

Simon

from windows update, a few minutes ago (for december version, i believe):

security update for Windows XP (KB926255)

last publish date:: 12/12/2006

Cumulative update for Outlook Express para Windows XP (KB923694)

security update for Windows Media Player 6.4 (KB925398)

malware removal tool- 12/2006 (KB890830)

non critical:

Update for Windows XP (KB929120)

Update for Windows XP (KB928388)

Cliente of Windows Rights Management Services with Service Pack 2 (KB917275)

last publish date:: 28/11/2006

but soneone from ms must be crazy: update for wmp6.4 :blink: ?

Hi Guys,

Windows Media Player 6.4 is always installed, doesn't matter if you use WMP 9/10/11.

Sure is, if you go to Start -> Run and enter MPLAYER2 and press Enter then the old Media Player will start up.

It seems to have access to all of the codecs that the full version of Media Player 9/10/11 so it's a useful lightweight alternative if you need it.

Kind Regards

Simon

Quote - (GeekyNerd @ Dec 10 2006, 13:19)

devster:-

my mirror (http://ap.watchin.me.uk) has all the autopatcher xp releases going back to (and including) december 2005

Hi devster , much appreciated ! Thanks for your reply , and for posting your link .

Totally awesome to find the "missing pieces" :)

Cheers Mate !!!

The Euro Flags ScreenSaver is NEVER installed from within APXP

Finally someone else noticed it. I mentioned it a couple of times myself, but since noone gave a damn, I've kept my mouth shut since then... :p

KB891122 never seems to show as installed. I am not sure if this is a detection or an installation issue at this point.

Actually, it worked for me once - and only once. ;)

And WMP6.4 is here: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe.

P. S. "IE December 2006 Security Update is Now Available" (Not for WIE7)

Edited by xyz123

Finally someone else noticed it. I mentioned it a couple of times myself, but since noone gave a damn, I've kept my mouth shut since then... :p

And WMP6.4 is here: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe.

sorry, i dont remember the report about the screensaver at all for some reason, ive made a new bug report thread though so you'll all be able to bring things like that to my attention better now ;)

i didnt know wmp 6.4 was still present, i would have thought it would have been removed by newer releases, we can include security updates to it in future releases if we can get a list of those needed at some point

Hi all, can anyone help me with this problem?

"Module Panic

! Module Panic on Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 SP7!

You are running Windows XP Professional SP2 (locale 1033) + IE7

Parent and/or Prerequisite item missing?"

i already have the earlier version of AP installed before(Aug) before installing this version. Also i got the IE7 and MS Office 2007 installed before installing this version(Nov) of AP too. Anyone have any idea of how to solve this problem?

Thank you