Does Dell overclock the GeForce 7900GS?

Just brought a new PC from Dell. I choose to upgrade the graphics card to the Nvidia GeForce 7900GS. I have been looking around at reviews when I found this:

"biggest strength of the GeForce 7900GS is its overclocking ability. Manufacturers are already shipping 7900GS cards with a 30% rise in core frequencies and up to 10% boost in memory speeds. In many cases I found this to result in performance increases that went anywhere from 15% and up to 30%." From TechSpot

Does anyone know if Dell actually overclock this graphics card?

I believe they are talking about graphics card manufacturers such as XFX, eVGA, PNY, Gigabyte, BFG, etc, not computer manufacturers like Dell. So to answer your question, I would say no, Dell does not overclock the graphics cards.

Depends what card Dell have used. What the article means is that if you were to buy the card separately then the manufacturers of the card (BFG, Point of View, EVGA etc) might have overclocked it in which case it would probably be marketed as a 7900GC OC. Dell themselves wouldn't overclock it as far as I know.

Ah right. I was very confused when looking at the Geforce 7900GS prices. I didnt know what the different XFX, PNY things were. How would I go about over clocking it?

P.S Ive never overclocked before, dont laugh! :whistle:

You can use NTune which is an NVIDIA application. It has a convenient slider where you simply drag it and the clock of the graphics card will increase.

You can overclock the Core & Memory, with the 8800GTS/X you can also overclock the shaders.

Thanks. Is there any programs that will be able to overclock my PC. The mains specs are displayed below this post. Would I have to invest in more fans if I wanted to overclock it?

No problem. It is kind of annoying, but people who are into overclocking are usually those who are into building their own monster rig and having everything exactly how they want it. Most of the time, the average Joe that buys a prebuilt system will have no idea about overclocking or have no need to do it so the manufacturers have no need to use parts that enable one to do that.

One day I will build my own PC. Im only 18, studying IT everyday. Slowly gaining knowledge and confidence with PC hardware. I can't wait till the day when I can save alot of money by building a PC myself rather than paying someone else to do it for me.

One day...... :devil:

I've actually got a Dell E1705 laptop with the 7900GS in it and I think they've got it underclocked a little in the E1705 chassis since its only got a single heatpipe on the video card versus the XPS models which have 2. Anyway, if you try to overclock the video card via the nVidia control panel, it'll reset the values to stock settings as soon as you close the CP. You actually have to flash the video BIOS to specific MHz values & voltage values. But you can test speeds with the CP as long as it stays open. LaptopVideo2Go.com is the site thats got most of the info & resources for doing these laptops, but ONLY the Dell E1705 laptops. That was mentioned in a thread on here not too long ago.

But if you're talking about a desktop with the 7900GS, I got nothin for ya.

I highly recommend that people overclock video cards by editing Video BIOSes and then flashing their cards. This will mean its constant and stable vs. software crashing.

Im not sure if Dell PC's have a overclocking ability in the BIOS. I have a 5100 and ive never come across an option for turning up the MHz on the motherboard.

Can anyone confirm that Dell Dimensions BIOS have a overclocking ability?

Managed to overclock my Powercolor 256mb X800GT using a program called "RivaTuner". However I didn't bother keeping the settings because I was unsure that the graphics card would handle the increased Core frequency. Even though the card is well known for its OC capability's im not going to risk it because I believe my PC is running hotter than it should do.