Windows Experience Index Rating

Hey guyz,

Long time visitor first time poster :D

I just installed Windows Vista Business N edition (will get my hands on Ultimate soon) and I have couple of problems.

I know that the N stands for No Media Player..! Can't I just install the Windows Media Player 11? However this a very minor issue at the moment as I can use PowerDVD 7.

Anyways more serious problem with "Windows Experience Index Rating"

I seem not to be able to establish it and I get a warning or error saying,

Cannot completed the requested operation.

This system does not have the necessary multi-media support to run the requested assesement.

Laptop specs are below.

OS Version: 6.0.6000 Build 6000

Intel T2400 CPU

2 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GO 7600 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) 256 MB

Graphics Driver Version: 7.15.10.9686

2 x 120 GB SATA HDD

So, what can I install or do which will finish the assesement and allow me to use the features which requires the assesement to be done first.

Cheers :)

Edited by Nirav Patel

Hmm.. Don't know haven't heard of anybody having a problem with the performance index in Vista.

I have Vista Ultimate (MSDN) and receive a rating of 4.2 , I know the highest rating currently is set to 5.9

MS plans to increase these #' in 2007 .

My setup is a P4 3.2 HT, 1024mb Ram, GF 6600GT , 2x120gb SATA HD (Non Raid).

I'm plan on upgrading to Core2 Duo 6600 & 2gb RAM in Q1 of 2007, Vista runs pretty go on my P4 but time to start 64bit computing in 2007.

You should of got the non "N" version if you wanted WMP. As far as the Windows Experience rating, is it possible that Microsoft broke it in the N version when they removed WMP and whatever else? That one's a good question... Could it be a bug?

Hmm.. Don't know haven't heard of anybody having a problem with the performance index in Vista.

I have Vista Ultimate (MSDN) and receive a rating of 4.2 , I know the highest rating currently is set to 5.9

MS plans to increase these #' in 2007 .

My setup is a P4 3.2 HT, 1024mb Ram, GF 6600GT , 2x120gb SATA HD (Non Raid).

I'm plan on upgrading to Core2 Duo 6600 & 2gb RAM in Q1 of 2007, Vista runs pretty go on my P4 but time to start 64bit computing in 2007.

So there is nothing wrong with my hardware since I used to run Beta 2 on my desktop with Intel GMA 900 and rest was pretty close to the laptop spec and I got 3.2 or something like that.

You should of got the non "N" version if you wanted WMP. As far as the Windows Experience rating, is it possible that Microsoft broke it in the N version when they removed WMP and whatever else? That one's a good question... Could it be a bug?

I know but I was just desperate to use Windows Vista :D Can't I just install it now? Don't think (atleast I hope) MS are that stupid to break it when making N edition.

Cheers :)

I was just wondering, if I change the Windows Vista Key which is a business key or ultimate key will the editions be changed and new components added in for Windows Media Player or Movies Maker?

I was just wondering, if I change the Windows Vista Key which is a business key or ultimate key will the editions be changed and new components added in for Windows Media Player or Movies Maker?

No i think you can't do that, once you install a version of vista you can only use keys for that specific version.

I did install it from the Ultimate Edition disk though. So I assume that using a Business N key gave me that version and if I change the key then I might get Ultimate version too, I might try it though.

So what you are saying is I have to format and reinstall if I want to go with Ultimate edition now?

I don't think you need to format and reinstall, Vista has the "Any time upgrade" so you can upgrade from some versions to another...

I do have the same problem has you, but I don't if it's because we don't have WMP installed. On my laptop, I don't have drivers for my soundcard (C-Media). Do you have sound on your laptop/desktop? If you do, I believe the problem is within WMP that we need to have installed...

This whole thing is stupid, I didn't request the N version, they just gave it to me with the MSDNAA program... It's stupid forcing the European users to the N versions, both should be available and we should get the one we want.

I don't think you need to format and reinstall, Vista has the "Any time upgrade" so you can upgrade from some versions to another...

I do have the same problem has you, but I don't if it's because we don't have WMP installed. On my laptop, I don't have drivers for my soundcard (C-Media). Do you have sound on your laptop/desktop? If you do, I believe the problem is within WMP that we need to have installed...

This whole thing is stupid, I didn't request the N version, they just gave it to me with the MSDNAA program... It's stupid forcing the European users to the N versions, both should be available and we should get the one we want.

Yeah I have Intel Hi Def sound, NVidia WDDM drivers fully installed and working fine. Infact there is not a single piece of hardware on my laptop which doesn't have proper vista driver.

I think this is a WMP and WMM related issue or a dare I say a bug (ignorance of a programmer :p)..!

Sorry for bumping this a bit.

I've got the same issue:

"This system does not have the necessary multi-media support to run the requested assessment. "

I'm also using Business N.

Specs (from systeminfo):

OS Name: Microsoft? Windows VistaT Business N

OS Version: 6.0.6000 N/A Build 6000

OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation

OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free

Registered Owner: eAi

Registered Organization:

Product ID: **********************

Original Install Date: 17/12/2006, 16:05:21

System Boot Time: 17/12/2006, 19:26:53

System Manufacturer: Acer, inc.

System Model: TravelMate 4100

System Type: X86-based PC

Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.

[01]: x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~

1600 Mhz

BIOS Version: Acer 3C29, 13/05/2005

Windows Directory: C:\Windows

System Directory: C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume1

System Locale: en-gb;English (United Kingdom)

Input Locale: en-gb;English (United Kingdom)

Time Zone: (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London

Total Physical Memory: 766 MB

Available Physical Memory: 296 MB

Page File: Max Size: 1,796 MB

Page File: Available: 1,204 MB

Page File: In Use: 592 MB

Page File Location(s): C:\pagefile.sys

Domain: WORKGROUP

Logon Server: \\LAPTOP

Hotfix(s): 1 Hotfix(s) Installed.

[01]: KB905866

Network Card(s): 2 NIC(s) Installed.

[01]: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Connection Name: Local Area Connection

[02]: Intel? PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

Connection Name: Wireless Network Connection

Any ideas?

I'm beginning to see a trend here.

I also have Business N (the only version available to MSDNAA members for the time-being) and my assessment tool gives the same error.

Still pretty weird.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got the same problem here. I got my Vista Business N from the MSDNAA also, and I don't have WMP11 installed. I think that this is the problem because I have all the drivers for my hardware.

I sent an email to Microsoft support and this is the reply I got:

Dear Raanan,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Support Service. My name is xxxx xxx, and I am glad to work with you. For your reference, the case ID for this service request is XXXXXXXXXX. You can contact me directly by sending an email to xxxxx@mssupport.microsoft.com with the case ID in the subject line.

From your description, I understand Windows Media Player 11 cannot be installed on Vista Business N edition. If there has been any misunderstanding, please let me know. 

I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best to help you.

Based on our knowledge, Microsoft have not released Windows Media Player 11 for Vista N Edition. Please refer to the following link for more information about Windows Media Player 11. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/versions.aspx

Please wait patiently, Microsoft will release the version for Vista N Edition as soon as possible.

If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to let me know. 

I look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

xxxxx xxxxxx

Microsoft Windows Vista Support Professional

xxxxx@mssupport.microsoft.com

Satisfied customers are my top priority. Please let either myself or my manager know what you think of the level of service provided. You can send feedback to Microsoft Management at <<mailto:managers@microsoft.com?subject=WindowsOnlineSupportIncident>> or directly to my manager, xxxx xxx at <<mailto:xxxxx@mssupport.microsoft.com>>

How stuppid Microsoft need to be, not to release an installation of WMP11 for Vista? :blink:

• 3 months later...

Mite have something to do when its checking Windows Media playback. There is a patch Microsoft has released so 'N' customers can install WMP11. Try that and run it again.

In my opinion, WEI is not accurate anyways. My systems numbers always go up and down. From 4.5 to 4.2 to 4.9.