Sony 50A200 + 360

After talking to user magik I decided to take his advice and make a post to get as many opinions as possible. I just bought the sammy HL-S4266W less than 3 weeks ago, and I noticed some problems with it.

img0478kh0.th.jpg

img0466so8.th.jpg

The first one the game didn't look like that the whole time, I just noticed that durning real fast camera pans it got all pixled up like that. The second pic is only blury due to the fact my camera was shaking but the issue is the background, it seems to be just a blob of color and not really defined. I notice this on late night TV too with Leno's suite looking more like a bunch color blocks rater than suite. In general I'm not pleased with how this set looks with my digital HD from Comcast. Not sure if this is due to the fact my wire is split about 4 times down stairs and then one of those lines is split 3 more times upstairs.

So I'm returning my set, primarly due to this defect in the screen: Black scratches on the inside blackmarkssp5.th.jpg

Since I have scratches on my screen and poor HD TV I'm looking to get somthing better when I return this set. So this brings me to the Sony set. Its a bit bigger than sammy which has me worried, I only sit about 7 - 10 feet away from my TV due to the way the room is set up. With 1080P is this not a problem I should worry about?

Other questions about the set I'll just put in bullet form. Thanks for any help and to magik for responding to my PM and pointing me to this forum.

• Questions
  • How does 720p broadcasts look? Are they upscaled to 1080p with no loss of picture quality?
  • How does SD look on this set? Is there a 4:3 mode? Will setting my cable box to 480 output make a difference when watching SD?
  • How do sports look? Again related to the scaling issue and since sports move pretty fast.
  • In general, how does this TV look? Sharp and clear? Any pixel problems?
  • Does it use a lamp? What is the lifespan of this set expected to be?
  • The big question: Since the 360 doest have an HDMI cable yet what goes on when this set gets a source through component? Since the max that anything can put out into component is 1080i does the TV then SCALE to 1080P? Thus no real issue?
  • Could I force the set to play/display in 720P if I wanted too?
  • What will fast games look like on this set? Primarily hockey games like NHL2k7, will everything be played in progressive still (though upscaling?) with no lag?
  • Does this set have a game mode and is it worth turning on?
  • What would be the best DVD calibration kit to get, or were can I find good settings to set up the TV out of the box?
  • Is it true that samsung looks better after being calibrated correctly? I was also looking at LNS4095D (LCD) and HL-S5087W (DLP). Is this fact or more just a mater of personal preference?
  • What sort of LCD tech does this set run on? is it better than DLP?
  • I saw on AVS fourms that some of Sonys LCDS have a problem with green blobs and clouds appearing on dark screens, is this one of them?
  • I'll set about 7 feet - 10 feet away form the screen, will I notice any flaws that close?

I guess thats it, just alot of questions in my mind about this that I didn't see answered in magik thread, since hes had this set since Sept and told me how great it is, I'm not too worried but I still like to get more feedback.

Thanks again!

Edited by Identity Fraud

1. They look fine.

2. SD is iffy, just like on most HD sets.

3. Sports look great

4. Beautiful set.

5. Lamp lasts about 4,000 hours.

6. Right. The scaler is great in the set and will scale 1080i to p with no issues at all

7. No. Like every display out there, it has a native resolution and can only show in that one resolution

8. Games will look and work fine.

9. I don't believe there is a game mode.

10. I've always like and heard good things about the AVIA calibration disc.

11. It's really personal preference. The Samy DLP is nice but gets pixelated way more easily than the Sony.

12. It uses LCoS technology which is basically a marriage of LCD projection and DLP (in very basic terms). It's much better than DLP in that there are no moving parts.

13. This happened on last year's models (LCoS, not LCD).

14. No

bangbang pretty much nailed everything and he was very helpful in terms of helping me decide on this set. I must say, it's a great set and I'm very happy with it.

The only thing is, this set does have a game mode, but not on all inputs (I'm not sure if it's only on VGA, Component, HDMI, or what) but I do remember seeing it. If I remember, I will try and look that up and get back to you. I'm taking finals right now, so my free time is pretty short lately. :)

I think my only concern is I've seen some people at AVS say there is lag on this set, not sure if they are talking lag that is so small only people who work with TVs for a living would notice. I think they mentioned a problem with older systems that would NEED game mode. I'm also not sure what would produce the least lag with this set and the 360. Run the 360 in 720p and have the tv upscale or run the system in 1080i and have the set interlace. Im not sure yet and I think im going to return this sammy I have tonight; I may just replace it with one that doenst have scratches and worry about 1080p later down the road.

If I did get this Sony, would I notice a big jump in PQ? Would I be better off just getting my dlp set calibrated to improve the Samsung PQ? Not to mention the set costs around $800 more than what I've already spent, if I could pay someone to improve my PQ and get some surround speakers (PC speakers) for that $800 I think what I have now would keep me happy.

Unless this Sony is like night and day from what I have currently. I'm just worried about what happend when I watch House on HDFOX, it seems that magik said that would happen with any set as its more how it was recorded and nothing to do with the TV (i.e. also why the hockey game got all blocky for a few seconds).

Edited by Identity Fraud

The Samsungs tend to be "blockier" than other sets because of the fact they sharpen the image more than other sets do. Is it going to be a night and day difference? Probably not. Why not try picking up a calibration disc, pop it into your DVD player, and see if you can calibrate the image yourself instead of having to pay a pro to come out and do it for a lot more money.

I wish I could edit my last post but I wanted to share this.

At about 8 seconds look at the tower to the left, you'll notice it sorta shifts quickly, sorta like the signal is interfaced.I also noticed this in saints row (both on my 27" CRT and my Sammy HD). I take it that this is sort of just the way the 360 does things sometimes regardless of TV? Its hard to see on that one video but it was the only video I got of it happening.

img0485ue9.th.jpg

So this sort of color blotting is purely the result of how the show was recorded and would appear on any TV? It seems like theres no subital transition between dark blue to lighter blue (or any color for that matter). I also notice this alot on late night TV, like if Leno is wearing a blue suite it sorta looks like the sky in the picture.

As well as this; just the way it was recorded or my tv? (Note: Ignore the flashes of green over the whole screen as that was a result of using my digital camera and I didn't see it happen on the itself)

The sony looks great, but I wonder if all my set needs is calibration.

bangbang023. I tried to find it and no local stores even carried these DVDs. Tweeter and Bestbuy both told me to go online and Wal-Mart told me "we stopped carrying them". Since I have to bring this set back due to the scratches on the top part of the screen I wanted to to make sure i could make this set look better otherwise I'd just get a different set altogether when I bring my defective one down. I guess I may just have to order this dvd online; but I'm going down tomorrow to exchange :( I only have a PS2 and 360 for DVD playback so I hope they could play this DVD with no problem. The only reason I'd pay a pro is if the 'hidden' settings can be tweaked to the point of producing a better image, I'm a bit worried about getting into the service menu myself since I know if you mess up it's way too easy screw up the TV.

The more I do research the more confused I get, it seems there is no true 'best' format, I always looked at plasma but even with the latest pixel shifting tech burn in still seems to linger. I miss the days when a TV was just a TV :p but I appreciate everyones help in giving me their experiences with TV. If I had more disposable income I'd just mount a plasma on the wall for TV and an DLP under for gaming.

Then again, I may just be wayyy to picky in the first place. :-D

Edited by Identity Fraud

That seems like mpeg compression image corruption to be honest. I had a customer come in with the exact same complaint today about his 40v2500 Sony LCD and, though I'm not 100% sure, it definitely appears to be compression issues. What cable company are you with? If I can get that name, I can do a bit more research for you and see what's what with them.

You may want to consider the calibration by a pro, though. There are issues with many Samsungs looking blocky out of the box and people have said that a pro calibration fixed things up. I can't promise this will help, but I do know the Samsung DLP's I've experienced tend to be a bit more sensitive when it comes to image compression and the like.

In the end, however, this has been an issue with the Samsungs and some people do opt out and go with another TV. The Sony is a great set, but the Samsung you have now is also very nice. It's a tough call, man. Calibration is not going to be cheap and even that's not guaranteed to clear up all the issues.

Edited by bangbang023

That seems like mpeg compression image corruption to be honest. I had a customer come in with the exact same complaint today about his 40v2500 Sony LCD and, though I'm not 100% sure, it definitely appears to be compression issues. What cable company are you with? If I can get that name, I can do a bit more research for you and see what's what with them.

You may want to consider the calibration by a pro, though. There are issues with many Samsungs looking blocky out of the box and people have said that a pro calibration fixed things up. I can't promise this will help, but I do know the Samsung DLP's I've experienced tend to be a bit more sensitive when it comes to image compression and the like.

In the end, however, this has been an issue with the Samsungs and some people do opt out and go with another TV. The Sony is a great set, but the Samsung you have now is also very nice. It's a tough call, man. Calibration is not going to be cheap and even that's not guaranteed to clear up all the issues.

Yeah, thats why I'm trying to get as many opinions as I can :( . I got this set at a decent price, I'd rather not spend much more than $500 on a new set (and it'd would deffently have to be better than what I have now, 720p would be fine still) I'm worried that if I get a new set/new brand I'll have the same issues with HDTV Cable. I'm using Comcast based out of Foxboro Ma. My HD box is the Moto DCT3412 I hooked up to my set through component cables. I tried it with HDMI and I think it looked a little worse through the HDMI. This is something else I get mixed messages on: I have my cable wire come into the house and it is split four times, then one of those wires is split three times before reaching my cable box. Now I've been told that digital is either "all there" or "not at all", but since it's coaxial does that still hold true? After all since digital isn't the standard yet isn't my set receiving analog still as well? I'm using HD stations that are in the 800's, they are my local (Fox, CBS, ABC and NBC) HD stations. As well as the HD sport networks.

I also set my cable box up to 720P output as well. I hear mixed things about comcast, not sure if theres anything they can fix with new wires.

Theres a ISF place based out of a town next to mine so It'd be easy for me to get service but I'd hate to spend the money and not get a boost that is worth the cost;also wouldn't everything be reset in the event of a power loss and when I move to a new place next year? I'd be great if I could somehow save settings to the USB port.

Do you know why some games have that strange problems were suddenly it seems images shift places quickly rather than moving slowly? My 360 is outputting in 720P so I'm not sure why it looks interlaced sometimes. But then again this happened on my old CRT TV t hat was just regular def.

If I did get another set and decided to stay in 720p world for the next couple years, what sets are worth looking at within the same price range and has better PQ than the blocky sammys.

Though I will say, playing 360 in 42" is amazing! Dispite the fact I notice the silk screen effect on these HDTVs I love the HD world I just wish I could get my tweaked or find one that is better set up than the Samsungs.

I have my cable wire come into the house and it is split four times, then one of those wires is split three times before reaching my cable box. Now I've been told that digital is either "all there" or "not at all", but since it's coaxial does that still hold true? After all since digital isn't the standard yet isn't my set receiving analog still as well?

Well, it's a digital signal coming in, especially for the HD, however that much splitting is never good. From what I can tell, you have a four way splitter, into a three way splitter, into your cable box? You figure, you're probably losing a good 7db (at least) on the signal before it even reaches your box. While I am doubtful that it would correct the issue, maybe try running a line straight from the first splitter into the cable box and see if that works?

I also set my cable box up to 720P output as well. I hear mixed things about comcast, not sure if theres anything they can fix with new wires.

Try setting it to 1080i. Let the TV handle the scaling.

Do you know why some games have that strange problems were suddenly it seems images shift places quickly rather than moving slowly? My 360 is outputting in 720P so I'm not sure why it looks interlaced sometimes. But then again this happened on my old CRT TV t hat was just regular def.

That's probably just the xbox.

If I did get another set and decided to stay in 720p world for the next couple years, what sets are worth looking at within the same price range and has better PQ than the blocky sammys.

In that price and size range, there isn't much. You have the Sony e2000 LCD projection series, but they don't really measure up to the Samsungs.

Well, it's a digital signal coming in, especially for the HD, however that much splitting is never good. From what I can tell, you have a four way splitter, into a three way splitter, into your cable box? You figure, you're probably losing a good 7db (at least) on the signal before it even reaches your box. While I am doubtful that it would correct the issue, maybe try running a line straight from the first splitter into the cable box and see if that works?

I would if the original cable wire isn't downstairs.

Try setting it to 1080i. Let the TV handle the scaling.

Even if the set if 720P Native? is most HD programing 1080i?

In that price and size range, there isn't much. You have the Sony e2000 LCD projection series, but they don't really measure up to the Samsungs.

Well if I could get a better 720P set than what I have now and it's not much more $400 or $500 I might take a look. My biggest problem is that no format has a perfect answer: Screen door effect, dead pixles and lag can be a problem for LCDS. DLPs some see a rainbow (thankfully I dont but as we know from this thread other issues have came up) has that silk screen effect, too bright out of the box and Plasmas seem to cost too much and burn in. I only got DLP because it was cheeper than the 32" LCD I was looking at. So I figured more screen space, less cost = sweet.

Edited by Identity Fraud

Having the 50A2000 SXRD and the Xbox360+HD-DVD, I can tell you their is no problem at all. The picture is crystal clear and no lag. Playing movies & games is a blast in HD.

Looking at AVS, the 50" Sammys (S5087) seem to have 10-bit processing and someone mentioned that they have an older DLP and could see what I see, unsmooth transitions from light to dark colors. Many people said the 10bit processing should make that problem not nearly as noticeable. I may check that one out, and after I'm done paying my Christmass bills get it calibrated by a pro if I find the DVDs don't do engough.