New Computer - on low budget.

Ok, so I haven't used AMD in over 2yrs ... I need peoples help.

I was looking for a sub $5 400 machine, because I am very tight right now on budget, but wanted the machine to be upgradeable ... here's what I have found, and the price is listed.

CPU AMD AM2 SP64 3000+

Motherboard FOXCONN K8M890M2MA-RS2H, DDR2 800,RAID,S

Memory DDR2 512M PC533 (Will upgrade in 30 days or less, to 2gb)

Hard Drive WD 80G SATA 8M 7200rpm (will also have my 120Gb WD IDE drive)

DVD-ROM/CDRW LG H22N 18X DVD/RW

Video Card Graphic card onboard (1 PCI-E 16x for expansion, will happen after 30 days)

Sound Card 6 channel sound card

Networ Card 10/100 lan

Case & Power Midtower Case Front USB & 450w (will upgrade later on, to Ultra or some thing like that)

TOTAL w/ Tax - C$340

I have XP Home, a 21" Monitor, and k/b and mouse that I will use ... as well as spakers, so the b asic tower is all I need. I may talk to them to try to reduce the cost, by building myself. But I think all in all it's a good deal

Note: this comes as a SETUP from a local (Toronto) computer store, NOT individual peices

Edited by _Allan_

Ok for now, get a Core 2 Duo. Even an E6300 with some uber cheap-ish mobo will do. Also if you already have a 120GB WD IDE drive, don't get the drive at all -- invest in a 320GB Seagate or something, it's very fast and extremely cheap (~$100 CAD) and you can get that later. Also I personally prefer NEC DVD burners, I got one for $40 (the new 18x one). For PSU, if you don't want something to blow up or smoke during the day and take half of your components with you, get at least something decent.

ok, this is a 'system' provided by a computer store, and it's really a sub $400 machine. I can't just 'switch' components.

*Looks at the 16" Floor fan, blowing 'cool' air ontop of the laptop, to keep it cool*

Not likely ...

My other option is ...

CPU Intel CeleronD 3.2G L775

Motherboard Foxconn 865G7MF i865G, Dual Channel, 8x

Memory DDR400 256M PC3200 (will upgrade to 512 minmum or 768)

Hard Drive W.D. 80G 7200RPM 8M

DVD-ROM/CDRW LG 52X32X52 CDRW

Video Card On Board Extreme up to 64M

Sound Card 5.1 Channel On Board

Networ Card 10/100 Lan On Board

Case & Power Standard Mid-Tower 4+2 Case & 450W

C$295

*Looks at the 16" Floor fan, blowing 'cool' air ontop of the laptop, to keep it cool*

Not likely ...

My other option is ...

CPU Intel CeleronD 3.2G L775

Motherboard Foxconn 865G7MF i865G, Dual Channel, 8x

Memory DDR400 256M PC3200 (will upgrade to 512 minmum or 768)

Hard Drive W.D. 80G 7200RPM 8M

DVD-ROM/CDRW LG 52X32X52 CDRW

Video Card On Board Extreme up to 64M

Sound Card 5.1 Channel On Board

Networ Card 10/100 Lan On Board

Case & Power Standard Mid-Tower 4+2 Case & 450W

C$295

[slowmo effect] Noooooooooooo [/slowmo effect]

The first option is nice for the price, AMD AM2 is great for budget since Semprons are better than Netburst Celerons. And you still can put performance CPU after without braking the bank. C2D is still not pwning anything like people says. Just to tell, the E6300 is more than $200 Cad itself it cannot fit in a $400 PC no matter how powerful it is.. And getting a i865P board that cannot run a C2D, that have DDR1 and AGP is more likely the same as picking a ShotGun and fire in your foot.

So your first setup look nice for a budget buy.

[slowmo effect] Noooooooooooo [/slowmo effect]

The first option is nice for the price, AMD AM2 is great for budget since Semprons are better than Netburst Celerons. And you still can put performance CPU after without braking the bank. C2D is still not pwning anything like people says. Just to tell, the E6300 is more than $200 Cad itself it cannot fit in a $400 PC no matter how powerful it is.. And getting a i865P board that cannot run a C2D, that have DDR1 and AGP is more likely the same as picking a ShotGun and fire in your foot.

So your first setup look nice for a budget buy.

Stay away from Celerons, you are doing a good thing going with AMD.

Check some sites, you may be bale to find some prebuilt systems.

Well ... I just found out that I got a job thru a Temp Agency for the Gvmt ... I can wait for four paychecks (save 10% of each weeks pay) and get a MUCH better Dell near the end of Jan [insert evil laugh]

Why is their always someone who says "get a core 2 duo".

Its like the whole "dude your gettinga dell" thing but with a core 2 duo. What is it about low budget that people dont get.

Well ... I just found out that I got a job thru a Temp Agency for the Gvmt ... I can wait for four paychecks (save 10% of each weeks pay) and get a MUCH better Dell near the end of Jan [insert evil laugh]

If you want to go custom have you checked out http://www.ncix.com? They are pretty good.

if I'm gonna get a 'custom' machine, I'll go out and buy each peice individually.

If I want quality, and good return policy (I live near a Kiosk) then I'll get a Dell.