God or god -> do you capitalize God/god?

Do you capitalize God/god?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Do you capitalize God/god?

• God - I do it religiously
    • God - I do it because it accepted, but dont belive in God
    • god

No, Quick Shot, there is no such thing as Santa Claus.

Saint Nicholas is a Bishop of Myra in Asia Minor who is often associated with Santa Claus and the custom of gift-giving at Christmas.

See that too is awkward, for example

"There are so many Thomas' in the world" or "there are so many thomas' in the world"

You always say the first.... I think...

but "There are so many Gods in world" or "There are so many gods in the world"

You always say the latter.

The reason you say the latter because there is only one god with the proper name God. Your arguments are pointless.

Erm, I think you're confused because "god" can be used as an adjective and also a proper noun. The Christian god is named God. Hercules is a greek god.

I mean, if my name was Charles and you didn't believe in me, then would my name suddenly be charles? :p

i think your confused.

adjective?

like godly?

maybe a noun and proper noun

The reason you say the latter because there is only one god with the proper name God. Your arguments are pointless.

The Islamic God is also capitalized (if you want to argue if it is the same god as the Christian god, I'm doing a paper on it as we speak)

"There is no God but Allah"

The Islamic God is also capitalized (if you want to argue if it is the same god as the Christian god, I'm doing a paper on it as we speak)

Whats your point? His name is Allah and the Christian's god is named God. They are two separate *NAMES* you can't say "Gods" because there is still only one with that name.

Whats your point? His name is Allah and the Christian's god is named God. They are two separate *NAMES* you can't say "Gods" because there is still only one with that name.

My point is that God is another name for Allah. So technically to refer to them both, you would use Gods.

I don't want to argue with you, but it is the same God. You know why? Because Muslims believe that Jesus (Isa in Arabic) is one of Allah's most beloved Prophets. If they are two different Gods, how would they both send the same man down to earth?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_view_of_Jesus

Also, Allah is the Arabic word referring to "God."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah

My point is that God is another name for Allah. So technically to refer to them both, you would use Gods.

Oh my gosh must I use pictures

allah-1.jpg

This guy here is Allah

god.jpg

This dude here is God

They are both gods.

god (gŏd) Pronunciation Key

n.

1. A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions.

GOD AS PICTURED ABOVE IS A PROPER NAME

I don't want to argue with you, but it is the same God. You know why? Because Muslims believe that Jesus (Isa in Arabic) is one of Allah's most beloved Prophets. If they are two different Gods, how would they both send the same man down to earth?

So is the Jewish God by that logic, but you go and tell that to the Muslims and Jews fighting in the middle east :p

Yep couldn't put it better myself.

Or... Fokk Allah in his un-Godly arse

I use both, as it depends on the context.

'God' when talking about the christian belief. As it is used as a proper noun in that situation, it is the name given to him/her/it by christians.

There might be other religions that also refer to their god as 'God' as well, but I do not know other religions so would not be able to say.

god when refer to a god as a noun. as a being, entity, supernatural force etc, however people want to perceive them. Or when referring to another god, such as the hindu god Vishnu.

It is a simple matter. When talking about the god named God (kinda like naming your pet potato "Potato", but whatever), capitalization is proper. When talking about a god not named God, then use lowercase, unless using their name.

It is a simple matter. When talking about the god named God (kinda like naming your pet potato "Potato", but whatever), capitalization is proper. When talking about a god not named God, then use lowercase.

Potato! lmao

I don't know what's so hard to get here. Proper nouns are capitalized. All the following are names (proper nouns): God, Wal-Mart, James, and Dr Pepper. Proper nouns are capitalized. The following are things (nouns): god, store, person, drink. Now, if there was a drink called Drink, would you not capitalize it because you don't think it is the one true drink or that you don't like that particular drink? The grammar of it is the same.

Now, when you capitalize things referring to God, if you talk about Him, then that has nothing to do with grammar but has to do with religion wanting to show extra respect or something when referring to him. At least that's my take on that part of it.

It depends on the context.

It's just like the word moon. There are many moons in the universe, but the one orbiting around Earth is a proper noun and it's name is The Moon, therefore it's capitalized. The same with suns and The Sun.

Also, you would capitalize things like Big Foot, Santa, The Loch Ness Monster, etc., because they are all proper nouns. It doesn't matter if you believe in them or not.

It depends on the context.

It's just like the word moon. There are many moons in the universe, but the one orbiting around Earth is a proper noun and it's name is The Moon, therefore it's capitalized. The same with suns and The Sun.

Also, you would capitalize things like Big Foot, Santa, The Loch Ness Monster, etc., because they are all proper nouns. It doesn't matter if you believe in them or not.

Precisely.

If we're speaking about the almighty being, God, it would be capitalized. But if we're referring to a god, it's normal.

It's proper to capitalize God if you're talking about the God who monotheists believe in (Christians, Muslims, Jews). All other gods are not capitalized, such as ancient Greek gods. It's just the proper way of expressing yourself.

This is how I learnt it to be.