Are Celeron laptops really that bad?

The problem with those "cheap laptops" is they not only have ****ty CPU's but all of the other components are also ****ty.. Hard Drive being the most important to performance, and RAM too... but the Screen usually doesn't have a great dynamic range response and the fans could be loud, also don't expect over an hour of battery life.

Yes Celerons are bad, I didn't see any Celeron M yet, but every Celeron desktop I saw (1.7-2.4 GHz) were awfully slow, I'd take a Pentium 3 1GHz over any Celeron (Based on the P4 off course).

Whos screaming intel core 2 duo? NO ONE...

get the facts straighten ut first before making a comment

go look at all threads about a CPU or someone getting a comptuer, and i can gurantee you someone will say "just get a core 2 duo".

The problem with those "cheap laptops" is they not only have ****ty CPU's but all of the other components are also ****ty.. Hard Drive being the most important to performance, and RAM too... but the Screen usually doesn't have a great dynamic range response and the fans could be loud, also don't expect over an hour of battery life.

That's common sense. Just because a laptop has a Celeron processor doesn't make it ******.

I apprecaite all the positive responses. This opens up my search for a laptop.

I just need a 12 inch for a good price.

go look at all threads about a CPU or someone getting a comptuer, and i can gurantee you someone will say "just get a core 2 duo".

thats cos unless your on a really tight budget or just upgrading a 939/AM2 system - the core 2 duo's offer the best performance for the price. Most people are only trying to help others get the best possible system from the budget given

I can't believe the number of negative comments about Celeron. Sure, it may not be as powerful as the Pentium 4 or save power as efficiently as Centrino, but it does the job for people who are in need of something basic. A lot of my friends have Acer notebooks with Intel Celeron M and it does the job well. A little word processing, some web browsing, the occasional gaming and it works fine. AMD Sempron are also powerful enough for certain tasks and a few of them are 64-bit.

Celerons are OK.

Ignore the noobs that come here, they are nothing but spoiled brats screaming INTEL CORE 2 DOU in every thread.

If I see any of these people in real life I'd give them an ass whooping and steal their money. :)

I agree. There seem to be a lot of people shouting Core 2 Duo's just because Intel has become the performance leader. Probably a legacy of the AMD fans who were saying they should just get an AMD instead of going for something that they consider inferior :rolleyes: . Kids these days... :rolleyes: .

Whos screaming intel core 2 duo? NO ONE...

get the facts straighten ut first before making a comment

He did. He read the thread as well as I did, so maybe next time you should check first before commenting. And there are other threads with people screaming Core 2 Duo's at everyone who is trying to buy a new computer.

Not everyone needs a powerhouse notebook, that is why there are different types of notebooks for different types of users. Not all of us are rich or in need to have something that is above of what we really do. We have budgets and in a way, we have to adhere to it. Would you buy a 21" notebook with an Intel Core 2 Duo notebook, 4 GB of RAM, 240 GB SATA 7200RPM harddisk just so you could have a big screen to browse the web? We all have priorities, whether we wish to know it or not, it's up to you to decide.

Suffice to say, the thread opener is asking for an honest opinion but there are a few who seem to wish to spread propaganda news instead.

thats cos unless your on a really tight budget or just upgrading a 939/AM2 system - the core 2 duo's offer the best performance for the price. Most people are only trying to help others get the best possible system from the budget given

True. But I wouldn't recommend my parents to get a Core 2 Duo if all they do is just open it and see holiday pictures. There is a reason why budget processors exist, it is as simple as that.

EDF587, the Celeron M is good enough for basic activities. Acer notebooks have quite a few Celeron notebooks and some of them have Bluetooth, DVD burner's and True Life screens. My advice is to see the base specifications of the notebook and plan your upgrades so that it may age well in the long run. Bear in mind that a notebook lasts at least 3 years, at the most 4, so take advantage of the timeline to ensure your system can keep up with the new systems each year.

If you take care of it, make note of the programs you use and install, that notebook can go a long way ;) .

Scirwode

That's common sense. Just because a laptop has a Celeron processor doesn't make it ******.

I apprecaite all the positive responses. This opens up my search for a laptop.

I just need a 12 inch for a good price.

I Know it's common sense, i just wanted to emphasize that sometimes the performance, or lack of thereof, is due more to the other ****ty components (read HDD) than to the fact it has a celeron.

As for the 12 incher, I've heard Averatec makes some pretty decent (and cheap) laptops in that size range, do you have a particular budget in mind?

If you're gonna have Word open, browse the web, check e-mail and listen to MP3s, then a Celery will do fine. You may want something more powerful for actually encoding stuff. Many games are more GPU/RAM intensive.

I Know it's common sense, i just wanted to emphasize that sometimes the performance, or lack of thereof, is due more to the other ****ty components (read HDD) than to the fact it has a celeron.

As for the 12 incher, I've heard Averatec makes some pretty decent (and cheap) laptops in that size range, do you have a particular budget in mind?

I'm looking at around $500-$600 max.

If I don't find a new Celeron for that price, I'm going to get an off-lease Dell laptop. I can get them for a nice price so thats not the problem.

I think it'll be nice to have a Celeron around for basic functions.

He is an Idea go to Google and read some reviews. That always helps. I got my laptop for two things 64bit and Vista. I got it march 2006 Amd Turon 1.8ghz 1gb ram 40gb hdd 128mb Ati 200m 7 in one card reader wireless,superbright for only $840.00 with tax. If you like HP they always have good deals going on. Now is a good time to buy. If i were you I would spend the extra $50-$100 for a X2 or Core 2 Duo if you plan on Vista then yes.

Edited by AMDMEFX-55

He is an Idea go to Google and read some reviews. That always helps. I got my laptop for two things 64bit and Vista. I got it march 2006 Amd Turon 1.8ghz 1gb ram 40gb hdd 128mb Ati 200m 7 in one card reader wireless,superbright for only $840.00 with tax. If you like HP they always have good deals going on. Now is a good time to buy. If i were you I would spend the extra $50-$100 for a X2 or Core 2 Duo if you plan on Vista then yes.

I planned on getting a X2, but I was just wondering are they really that bad.

I guess I can conclude no.