connecting sound card to home theater speakers

i currently have an x-fi and i want to buy some nice speakers to go with it. i want to get home theater speakers but my sound card has the 3 outputs for computer speakers only. is there a way to connect speakers that have the 2 speaker wire inputs to a computer? i have optical out as well.

ive searched around but i cant find anything about connecting regular home theater speakers to a sound card. is there a way to do this?

Theoretically it is possible.

You could splice the out going cord from the computer and do a rough rig up job that way.

But better, get a decent Logitech, Altec Lansing or Creative 5.1 system and rig it up that way, in which can be used for the computer and maybe for home theare as well.

Short answer: kinda.

Actual speakers need amperage to run, your pc will not provide that, so you will have to have an outboard amp.

From the X-Fi, plug in a Y adapter to the "green terminal". From there plug in stereo RCA cables from the splitter to the amp and theoretically it should work.

If that doesn't work, grab a decent receiver and use the optical out to the receiver which will power and decode the audio formats for you. Yes it will bypass the sound card but it is a better audible solution if your wallet allows.

Short answer: kinda.

Actual speakers need amperage to run, your pc will not provide that, so you will have to have an outboard amp.

From the X-Fi, plug in a Y adapter to the "green terminal". From there plug in stereo RCA cables from the splitter to the amp and theoretically it should work.

If that doesn't work, grab a decent receiver and use the optical out to the receiver which will power and decode the audio formats for you. Yes it will bypass the sound card but it is a better audible solution if your wallet allows.

what web sites have the best selection of amps?

I don't know of a website per se to shop for amps for your needs, I'll see what I can find. Most of what I do is home audio on a larger scale, but there is a market for smaller things like what you need.

I haven't had personal experience with this product, however everything I have read about in reviews from formal audio magazines to numerous forum threads all over the net, the Sonic T amp is a beast in a super small package. Google it for more info.

Is there a price range you have set for an amp or receiver?