No Sony - Need replacement!

Hello,

Few days ago i ordered a Sony Bravia W2000 46". Yesterday it was supposed to be sent, money charged etc.

But was greatly dissapointed this morning when the company called and said they didn't have it in stock.

So i basicly checked every Danish hardware website and there was nothing.

So i went downtown, visited the local Electronics shop. Nice bunch of guys, showed me various TVs, explained me the difference between Plasma and LCD etc.

The Salesman told me to look at the PIONEER PDP4270XA PLASMA, he had it himself, great picture and nice price too. Then i could also afford a Philips surround set

http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/c...RCSHP3HKFSESI5P

So is this worth it - To also get a Surround sound Home Cinema?

Just a small catch, they didn't have the Pioneer in stock either ... So I'm getting the Demo model until thursday where they bring out a new TV to replace it.

The Pioneer is a gorgeous TV so I would take it. Just be careful to break it in before blasting it up in brightness and such. For the first 400 hours, use it in "movie" mode and nothing else. This will help cut back on image retention and burn in later down the line.

As for the surround system, I'd never recommend Philips for audio. I've yet to hear a Philips audio product that didn't sound like cheap crap.

Thanks bangbang,

The only problem is, i couldn't really see the true glory of the Pioneer since the Demo version is broken. That's why i am annoyed to get the demo model for a week! Looks like the Brightness went bust and just turned this odd black, like a black coating on the TV. The guy in the store said there was something wrong with it. But the image compared to the TV's next to it was great!

About the surround set, Philips is pretty much my only choice since stores love it - It did sound great when we tested it so I'm happy :)

But thanks for the info, but can you still adjust one of the 22 settings in movie mode or is this a locked mode?

But thanks for the info, but can you still adjust one of the 22 settings in movie mode or is this a locked mode?

Of course you can adjust them (once you do, it switches you to custom mode) but just keep the brightness and all similar for those first 400 hours.

I would choose Samsung, it ment for PC access mode

Samsung make screen for most other companies on the low

a good priced Plasma will look like crap, you have to spend at least 15k to get a decent one, but then the colors are over saturated and the brightness will start to dim after 2 years use

LCD's are great price point and look great but can get burn in and they are not the best picture

I choose DLP's for the use of the no burn in as my pc is on all the time i got a 4,000 retail Samsung DLP 50' 1080p TV for only 1,500 New in xbox delivered to my door.

so if cost is a matter go with DLP its on 7th gen tech now its cheap and looks great. my friends that i do media centers for sometimes choose LCD and they are happy as well.

plasma is a waste to me unless you spend some decent cash other wise that 4k plasma will get out done by a 7th gen DLP hands down

but for overall pictures CRT is the clearest and samsung makes new SLIM CRT's

**EDIT**

Please dont compare TV screens at store like best buy or what not, the tvs all have default settings. getting a tv to look as it should should take 1-2 hours of set up which explains why they are not done at factory nor in store, you can get a disc and some glasses to do this. if you shop a TV by looking at screens and listen to sales men you might miss out on some good products.

tv's are shipped with modes that are fake and puff up images... beware

*** DOUBLE EDIT ***

make sure you check the native resolution before a purchase as well its important

Wow, 1 way johnny, you sound like the paranoid consumer I encounter every day.

Comparing the picture of a Pioneer plasma to any LCD is basically unfair.....to the LCD. The black levels are so much better resulting in much richer colors. Plus, unlike your precious DLP, the screen is evenly lit with little variance of brightness from the center to the outer edges.

Now to have fun with some quotes from you:

a good priced Plasma will look like crap, you have to spend at least 15k to get a decent one, but then the colors are over saturated and the brightness will start to dim after 2 years use

Wrong. Have you seen the Pioneers? Hell, they even have a 50" 1080 out there for much less than your fictional "15k" mark.

LCD's are great price point and look great but can get burn in and they are not the best picture

Burn in is almost impossible on LCD's. In extreme circumstances of one static image being display on the screen for a few days, even then, you'd have to have a bad set to even get image retention, never mind burn in.

I choose DLP's for the use of the no burn in as my pc is on all the time i got a 4,000 retail Samsung DLP 50' 1080p TV for only 1,500 New in xbox delivered to my door.

And replacement bulbs are $200 a piece.

plasma is a waste to me unless you spend some decent cash other wise that 4k plasma will get out done by a 7th gen DLP hands down

Better black and white levels, colors closer to the intended colors, no replacement bulbs, no moving parts, etc etc. Please stop. A good plasma, like this Pioneer, is simply better than your DLP.

but for overall pictures CRT is the clearest and samsung makes new SLIM CRT's

A good CRT would be the best, but those are harder and harder to come by. Guess what? CRT's get their color and contrast from phosphors. Do you know what other technology is based on phosphors? Plamsa. Hence every point I've made so far.

Stop it with this bull**** plasma scaremongering. I'm sick and tired of people repeating myths and rumors. He's getting a great damn set (it's actually the only plasma set I recommend this year out of the models my store carries) and there's no need to try to rain on his parade in some attempt to make yourself feel better about choosing a DLP.

MichaelBL: Please don't listen to this guy.

Thanks bangbang for breaking down his post, had a hard time sorting all through all that crap :laugh:

Just a small thing though ... I have a habbit of going on an Xbox gaming spree sometimes in the weekends, but from what i understand that's not recommended at all for a Plasma set. Is it possible to just play the Xbox for perhaps 2-3 Hours, watch an hour of TV then return again without having to worry about Burn-in effects or are we talking longer/short periods of static images before a Burn-in effect might occur

?

That will be fine. Even turning off the set for a few minutes will help prevent burn in. You also have to realize that more and more studies of plasmas show that it's almost always a case of image retention and not burn in. IR goes away as you watch something else. Also, I've had Pioneer reps tell me, though it's not official word from the company, that gaming for up to 5 hours will be fine on the sets.

Okay,

Sounds great (Y) Thanks alot BB for taking your time with my Thread(s) in my quest for a new TV.

Ordered the TV and they are gonna bring it out tommorow morning, just hope the temporary Demo model isn't a complete broken down set.

Has been sitting near the door of the shop, alot of cold coming in, been subjected to alot of bright light from those big lamps in the ceiling and ofc.

tons of people messing around with it ... But waiting almost an entire week to get the real thing. Atleast i don't have to worry about breaking it in :laugh:

@ bangbang023

Which set would you say is better a 1080p 46'' Sharp LCD or the highly acclaimed 50'' Pioneer Plasma 720p

I've been looking a either as they are roughly the same price . . which would you choose?

That's really a tough choice. Both sets bring something different to the table. The Pioneer does have better white and black levels than the Sharp, but the higher resolution of the sharp does start to become noticeable at that size. I'd really recommend you take a look at your planned usage and then also compare the images. The sharp definitely has a softer image than the Pioneer which is appealing to some people.

If I had to choose one on the spot, I'd be screwed. It's a tough choice.