Several HDTV Related Questions

I just purchased a Dell 37" 1366x768 LCD TV. It's suppose to be here next Friday but I'm trying to get as many things ready for when it does arrive. I have several HD questions below. Ask whatever you can. Thanks for your help.

I have a computer I'm suppose to be fixing a friend. I'm going to offer her some money and probably get the computer. I'm going to buy GeForce 6200 for outputting a signal. I then plan to put Windows Vista Ultimate and use some of the Media Center features but mostly just for web browsing.

1) I've heard many problems getting a graphics card to output at my 1366x768 because 1366 is not divisible by 8. It will either display 1360 or the TV will stretch the output making text fuzzy. Does anyone know any fixes or hints to get this to display correctly?

2) I'd like to be able to have a nice wireless keyboard to control the computer. I saw this Media Center Keyboard and it looks really cool. However, it uses IR (receiver not included) and I've heard the mouse functions included on the keyboard. Should I try to get this Media Center keyboard or just get another wireless keyboard? If not, what wireless keyboard would be good to use for this?

3) Does anyone know where to get good flat panel entertainment centers? The current one is made for ol' fashion CRTs and I can't imagine it will look that good.

4) I'm a little confused about stretching. I have a Comcast HDTV box. I want 4:3 to be stretched to 16:9. Both my TV and my cable box say they can stretch, which one should I set stretch the image? My TV also has a zoom feature to zoom into 4:3 to make it appear 16:9, is this any better?

5) Does the quality of HDMI cable matter? It's digital but analog so I don't see where an image difference could be. I paid $150 for an HDMI cable that came with TV and I bought another one for $20 from MonoPrice. Are "high-quality" HDMI cables noticeably better?

I had more questions but forgot them. I'll post more when I remember them.

1) Most computers can be set to 1280x720 which should get upscaled by the TV properly (at least mine does)

2) Another keyboard would be better (RF or Bluetooth)

3) Ikea

4) Use the comcast box.

5) No, HDMI is digital, a $3 cable is just as good as a $500 cable

1) Most computers can be set to 1280x720 which should get upscaled by the TV properly (at least mine does)

Yes, that's what I thought at first but after doing research I'm not sure. It would have to stretch 86 pixels horizontally and vertically 48 pixels. A lot of people reported fuzzy text. Since I'll be mostly using the computer for web browsing, that could be a huge problem.

Thanks for the other stuff though.

Yes, that's what I thought at first but after doing research I'm not sure. It would have to stretch 86 pixels horizontally and vertically 48 pixels. A lot of people reported fuzzy text. Since I'll be mostly using the computer for web browsing, that could be a huge problem.

Thanks for the other stuff though.

my mac can do both and 1280x720 works and looks fine for me.

i'm sure i read newer nvidia drivers will allow non divisible resolutions, at least on the linux nvidia drivers i'm running 1366x768.

I'm running my Samsung HDTV at 1360x768 on the latest NVidia drivers for Windows - 93.71. :)

Alright thanks.

I ended up going with an RF keyboard. I really liked the Microsoft keyboard but infrared would suck. I got this one. It's basically a laptop keyboard.

I have a question about Media Center. I'm planning to dual Windows XP Media Center Edition and Windows Vista Ultimate. Is there an option to boot right into Media Center? Like a boot switch so I could have an option to boot regularly or directly into Media Center.

This is trying out to be more expensive than I thought. My original plan was to spend about $1,200-$1,500. I'm close to crossing to $2,500. Maybe I should have bought a car or something. ;)

The logitech DiNovo Edge is a great keyboard you can use its 199.99 at amazon and just came out slick looking

for your cable box dont touch the strech options

shut off your box

press menu

it shoudl allow you into a mode were you can control the HDTV settings set you box to do 720p and all times and take 4:3 pictures and make them 16:9

if menu dosen't work just Google it might have to hold two buttons .... most people don't set up the boxes right and think they are in HDTV

it shoudl allow you into a mode were you can control the HDTV settings set you box to do 720p and all times and take 4:3 pictures and make them 16:9

Which do I pick for 4:3 override? I have 480i, 480p, and Stretch as options. Stretch? Wouldn't 480p just output a square?

post-73695-1166908271.png

i found the page where i read about non divisible resolutions.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia....amp;p_topview=1

Question

Do NVIDIA based graphics cards support 1366x768,1380x768, or 1366x1024 resolution PLASMA/LCD (HDTV) displays?

Answer

NVIDIA GPUs can now support horizontal timings that are not evenly divisible by eight. However, such resolutions (example H .1366 x V. 768) must be included within the Displays EDID* firmware. If your display manufacturer has neglected this support the best solution is to use the HDTV/DISPLAY as they intended by using a 480P, 720P, or 1080i display configuration now provided by the Forceware Release 60 and above reference driver. Please see the link below for more information regarding general HDTV display support.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/consumer_elec...play_ready.html

->Note that GeForce 7, GeForce 6, and GeForceFX series GPUs can support HDTVs with internal on chip TMDS* via DVI/HDMI connectors with the latest Release 70 or above reference driver. http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp <-

*Extended display identification data (EDID) is a data structure provided by a computer display to describe its capabilities to a graphics card. It is what enables a modern personal computer to know what kind of monitor is connected. EDID is defined by a standard published by the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA). The EDID includes manufacturer name, product type, phosphor or filter type, timings supported by the display, display size, luminance data and (for digital displays only) pixel mapping data.

*Transition Minimized Differential Signaling (TMDS), is a technology for transmitting high-speed serial data. TMDS is the technology used by the Digital Visual Interface or DVI

I wouldn't bother with vista, the media center is nice but restrictive on media formats, install Windows XP and use the superb mediaportal (www.team-mediaportal.com)

If your budget can stretch to it get yourself a graphics card with HDMI out, I use the ATI X1600 and it outputs 1366x768 perfectly.

Don't get the MS keyboard, it only works in media center, I've yet to find a keyboard mouse combo i'm happy with

Check out the Oppli TV stand from Ikea

I wouldn't bother with vista, the media center is nice but restrictive on media formats, install Windows XP and use the superb mediaportal (www.team-mediaportal.com)

If your budget can stretch to it get yourself a graphics card with HDMI out, I use the ATI X1600 and it outputs 1366x768 perfectly.

Don't get the MS keyboard, it only works in media center, I've yet to find a keyboard mouse combo i'm happy with

Check out the Oppli TV stand from Ikea

I have used MediaPortal in the past and I do like it. But I figure, why not at least have Media Center edition? I'm going to install Vista mostly for web browsing and general computer tasks.

The computer I'm using only supports AGP. The only version of the X1600 for AGP I've seen doesn't support HDMI. The TV has a VGA input so hopefully I'll be OK.

Not true. You may not need the $500 cable, but don't call them the same thing.

I agree. If you get a really low quality hdmi or dvi cable you may get some odd digital artifacts like white sparkles. I don't think you need a super super nice cable unless you are running long distances, and even for that you still don't have to pay monster cable prices. But you shouldn't cheap out.

5) Does the quality of HDMI cable matter? It's digital but analog so I don't see where an image difference could be. I paid $150 for an HDMI cable that came with TV and I bought another one for $20 from MonoPrice. Are "high-quality" HDMI cables noticeably better?

Honestly you will get the same results with component cable then you will with HDMI. This depends on how the inputs upscale the input signal. I'm not sure what your TV is capable of. These features are not usually listed. Stretching 4:3 you may get mixed results depending on channel and bandwidth in your area. Remember, digital cable is still multiplexing analoug signal and there may be artifacts on certain channels. Some channels are broadcast in in 4:3 but display 16:9 content which you will not see in 16:9 no mater what you set the cable box to. HDTV is still in in its infancy and they are still working out HDTV resolutions and upscale. Some networks film network shows in 720p and some in 1080i. For the most part the 15 or so HD channels you get on Comcast are of hi quality (especially DiscoveryHD, MHD, UHD, INHD).

• 3 weeks later...
Which do I pick for 4:3 override? I have 480i, 480p, and Stretch as options. Stretch? Wouldn't 480p just output a square?

this has nothign to do with the quality it has to to do with the default, 480p is square but some people hate the side bars so you can stretch it auto

i leave mine at 480p for best picture but stretch if it bothers you

this has nothign to do with the quality it has to to do with the default, 480p is square but some people hate the side bars so you can stretch it auto

i leave mine at 480p for best picture but stretch if it bothers you

I ended up using stretch mode. It obviously decreases the quality a little bit but it looks better than having black bars.

5) No, HDMI is digital, a $3 cable is just as good as a $500 cable

I don't agree.

I just purchased a Phillips 42PF9531 Plasma and a Phillips DTR7200 STB.

I got a $15 HDMI cable from work, and a $120 cable from the store I got the TV from.

The difference between the $15 cable and the $120 cable was huge! My wife who knows nothing about TV's, cables, STB even said that the difference between the cables was noticeably different.

Can bangbang back me up here, seeing he is the guru.

I don't agree.

I just purchased a Phillips 42PF9531 Plasma and a Phillips DTR7200 STB.

I got a $15 HDMI cable from work, and a $120 cable from the store I got the TV from.

The difference between the $15 cable and the $120 cable was huge! My wife who knows nothing about TV's, cables, STB even said that the difference between the cables was noticeably different.

Can bangbang back me up here, seeing he is the guru.

There is definitely a difference. Do you need to spend $120 on a cable? No, but you shouldn't go buy the cheapest thing you can find. A well built cable will not only last longer but will offer lower resistance which can only serve to benefit the user. Then you go to the analog side of things and the cables make an even bigger difference. I think Monster really ticked people off with their pricing and that's why they feel that the cables don't make any difference.