360 Marketplace a Scam

For those of you who have bought add-ons for games, have you noticed their download sizes? I'll bet that most "add ons" (except extra levels on COD2, Halo 2 etc.) are around 108kb. After reading the following thread, it started making sense. How can you have an entire dungeon in Oblivion be just 100kb?

Here's what game developers and Microsoft dont tell you - you arent actually buying the content, you are buying a "key" which will unlock content ALREADY on the disc. Sounds like a form of blackmail to anyone else? You paid the $50-60 for the game, yet you have to pay even more for things which should be free - they were put on the disc aready and you own the disc, right?

Either Dont put it on the disc or make it free.

And the case against microtransactions mounts. Industrious NeoGAF poster "a master Ninja" has done a little digging and uncovered just how big some of the "downloads" are over the XBL marketplace for useless **** like Viva Pi?ata accessory packs. I say "downloads" because, well, you're not really downloading much at all. From the size of these files, it's clear you're just downloading a key that unlocks content already present on the disc. Content that you've already paid for by paying for the disc.

Alaskan Adventures

Alaskan Bonus Pack 1 (100 points)

108.00 KB

Cabela's Safari

Safari Bonus Animal (150 points)

108.00 KB

Chromehounds

Total price of all downloadable parts keys (1800 points)

The keys are 108.00 KB each

College Hoops 2K7

2K ReelMaker for College Hoops 2K7 (400 points)

108.00 KB

LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy

LEGO Star Wars Characters (200 points)

108.00 KB

Rapala TOurnament Fishing!

California Delta Bonus Level (150 points)

108.00 KB

Samurai Warriors 2

Total price to buy horses and hire people not otherwise available (580 points)

The Godfather

Favor Pack - 3 Favor Missions (250 points)

108.00 KB

Viva Pinata

Accessory Pack 1 (80 points)

Accessory Pack 2 (80 points)

Accessory Pack 3 (80 points)

Accessory Pack 4 (80 points)

TOTAL COST for content on the disc that is ONLY accessible by PAYING MORE MONEY

3950 MS points ($49.38)

Downloadable keys that COST MONEY to unlock content you could unlock by ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME

Need for Speed: Carbon

Total price for all the available content keys (7320 points)

The Godfather

The Don Collection (800 points)

or if you buy each thing separately 1265 points

TOTAL COST for content on the disc that you could actually play to get

8120 MS points ($101.50)

FREE Downloadable Keys that unlock content ON THE DISC

Ridge Racer 6

36 different cars

Chromehounds

Color Pattern02, Assist parts01, Heavy arms01, Light arms02

Dead Rising

9 different outfits

Source 1: http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/marketplace/s...disc-223420.php

Source 2: http://forums.xbox.com/1/9025328/ShowPost.aspx#9025328

So? It's already on the disc whoopdie-doo. You bought the game you did not create it and you don't own its very existence therefor its not up to you to decide how the game is played.

Whats the difference btw downloading the content or unlocking it. You still get to play it.

I saw this a few days ago. Part of me agrees but the other part of me believes that if people want the content without getting it the 'natural' way (i.e. Carbon, Godfather) then you should pay for it.

But one thing that chaps my ass is the NBA 2K7 ReelMaker. 400 points for something I already knew was on disc (when it was first available, I saw the size but thought nothing of it). So, I can see how people who have Viva Pinata and other games would be angry.

I saw this a few days ago. Part of me agrees but the other part of me believes that if people want the content without getting it the 'natural' way (i.e. Carbon, Godfather) then you should pay for it.

But one thing that chaps my ass is the NBA 2K7 ReelMaker. 400 points for something I already knew was on disc (when it was first available, I saw the size but thought nothing of it). So, I can see how people who have Viva Pinata and other games would be angry.

Its things like oblivion which make me mad - I paied $60 for the game - I shouldnt need to pay another $15 to get all these "extras" which are already on the there.

Don't get me wrong, on a whole, I am angry with Microsoft.

But on the good side of the whole thing, you *don't* have to download anything. I mean, you don't actually have to add more crap to the tubes. Instant-download.

I kind of agree.

I agree with the concept of adding new content (actually downloading a dungeon or downloading a newly created accessory pack, but I DO NOT agree with making me pay for keys to unlock contents. If you created new content after the game was released, by all means I have no worries paying for it (to support the developer), but making me pay for keys to unlock the entire game (adding 40$ to an already 60$ game) is stealing and preying off the customers loyalty.

It's their content (fair enough), but dont **** with us either

For games like Oblivion, does the PC version come with these unlockable features as well, do they come free or are they exclusive for the Xbox 360 version?

Vista uses the same technique. All verisons are on the one disc. Does that mean if you pay for Home Basic you should get all of Ultimate's features for free? No, it doesn't. It's just an easier way to deliver content.

They are all like this now... Think at EA that ask money for cheatcodes...

It's capitalist, always more money, end of the story.

Fact is, you buy the game, you get a complete game. You aren't being deceived, you are getting more content and paying for it and it doesn't take forever to download! In the end the games companies can do wtf they like as it's all probably in the EULA, so just don't buy the games or an XBOX 360 if that is the problem.

Fact is, you buy the game, you get a complete game. You aren't being deceived, you are getting more content and paying for it and it doesn't take forever to download! In the end the games companies can do wtf they like as it's all probably in the EULA, so just don't buy the games or an XBOX 360 if that is the problem.

Exactly. You paid for what you expected, and then when you find out that there's more content available, you pay for it, since it is a seperate product although on the same disc. I'm fine with it personally... Takes less hard drive space on my 360 and downloads instantly.

If it was new content - great! But if it was just content that already was created and they are going to charge me more for it - I dont think that is fair. I'm not getting the complete game then - at least the complete game on the disc I bought. We already pay $50 a year for XBL - I mean I would happily pay $70 a year if every add-on were free (like XBL Platinum)

Also content should go down in price after its been out for xxx months. Who is going to spend $10 for the extra maps for Perfect Dark Zero when the game is $16ish (used at gamestop) or for Madden 2006 I got for $6 at Gamestop last weekend - I'm not gonan buy the extra uniforms and all that would cost more then I paid for the game

So most of the stuff is already on the disc and can be unlocked by either buying it or playing through the game normally and unlocking stuff as you go along, right?

I think it's good they do that actually. Once more people here about this, it'll get more people to actually play the game and unlock it themselves for a change instead of buying it. Unless a new gameshark or action replay thing comes out and has the ability to unlock all that content.

I always preferred playing through the game normally and unlocking it all on my own. If there's one or two things I can't get, doesn't bother me any. I'll just let someone else try it or try another time myself.

So most of the stuff is already on the disc and can be unlocked by either buying it or playing through the game normally and unlocking stuff as you go along, right?

I think it's good they do that actually. Once more people here about this, it'll get more people to actually play the game and unlock it themselves for a change instead of buying it. Unless a new gameshark or action replay thing comes out and has the ability to unlock all that content.

I always preferred playing through the game normally and unlocking it all on my own. If there's one or two things I can't get, doesn't bother me any. I'll just let someone else try it or try another time myself.

That is only on some of EA's games. On all of the other games, the content is already on the disc, but there is no way to access it at all, unless you pay to "download" the addition.

I'm pretty sure most of the Oblivion updates are in fact downloaded, and not on the disc. So you shouldn't be using that example.

That said, I completely disagree with you.

On one hand, I think that companies like EA that charge for things that are free on other consoles (like the original Xbox) in the same game are being bastards. And I think that no one should be selling "incomplete" games. If they do, I won't buy them. If you don't like it, then don't buy it. It's as simple as that.

However, do NOT translate EA's actions to Microsoft, the rest of Live Marketplace, or to other third-party developers or publishers.

Things like the Viva Pinata accessories, bonus skins/characters, etc - I feel are all fair game. If they want to make certain bonuses cost extra then they should go for it. If people buy it, they'll keep doing it. If people don't, they'll stop. Simple as that.

Do you also think it's wrong that the trail version of Live Arcade games is in fact the whole game? But that buying the "full version" just downloads an unlock key that enables full functionality? I don't. In fact, I'm happy it works that way since it means I don't have to download the game twice (like on the PS3).

If it was new content - great! But if it was just content that already was created and they are going to charge me more for it - I dont think that is fair. I'm not getting the complete game then - at least the complete game on the disc I bought.

So dont buy it then, it didnt bother you while you played and completed oblivion. If you dont want to pay then you dont get the extras no one is forcing you to pay.

Im pretty sure games with downloadable EXTRAS are complete start to finish games, you are paying for additional content.

I hate microtransactions . . but I'm for digital distributions . . for example fairsized expansions, homebrew, full games, etc are great.

But I'm not for micro-selling of content that should be free, especially if its just a small alteration or unlocking of code already on the game. . . extra car colors, teams, characters, weapons . . basically cheats.

There is a difference.

Bonus content such as this should be free (some developers are always giving away free content after they release their games, for instance Epic).

This is just capitalism at its finest. Microtransactions are publishers way of hauling more money from you, like the "booster packs" from EA and paying for **** which is already in-game.

IMO everything that was created during the development process for a game should be free. Maybe it is unlockeable, that is cool, but you shouldn't pay for it.

Expansion packs and other content which was created after the development process, yes, that I can pay for if I want it.

If its on the disc, it should be be free.

Having to pay for extra content is questionable enough, but I agree with lol911, if its made after the game is finished then they should be able to make users pay for it.

well, if you get angry at this you need to get angry at human nature and the world we made for ourselves in general...greed comes before all, i'm afraid. whether this is an underhanded tactic is up to each gamer to decide. the fact is that most people will take you for a ride if given the chance.

Yippie!!! Encourage this behavior and next thing you know it we'll be paying to unlock songs on CD's and extras on DVDs yippie! Paying for content thats already on the originally purchased disc rocks!