[IPCOP] Backups?

What exactly does Ipcop save when i make a backup? I have alot of hacks etc on my icop machine and i don't want to lose them if the machine fails. Whats the best way to do a backup?

-Scott

What version are you running?

As to what is backed up.. why dont you just look in the backup file to find out ;)

Once you create a backup - you can export the unencrypted gzipped tar file and take a look to what exactly is being backed up.. Do you not get the listing of what is backed up in the information windows when you click create backup?

If something is not there that you want, then just create a tar of what you want to backup and export off the machine for safe keeping ;) As to hacks and changes -- it would depend on where the files of the changes are located. Or just change the files in /var/ipcop/backup to backup what you want or do not want..

edit:

include.system, include.user, exclude.user, etc.. etc..

here is what is in include.system for example

/etc/passwd

/etc/shadow

/etc/hosts

/etc/localtime

/etc/httpd/server.crt

/etc/httpd/server.csr

/etc/httpd/server.key

/etc/rc.d/rc.local

/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall.local

/etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key

/etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key.pub

/etc/ssh/ssh_host_key

/etc/ssh/ssh_host_key.pub

/etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key

/etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key.pub

/var/ipcop/

edit2: unencrypted dat file? There should be a tar.gz file you could export.

post-14624-1167322498_thumb.jpg

But you can edit the configuration for backup to include/exclude whatever you want.. Hmmm - but if you want a full image.. Let me look around, I do not see why you could not do that without having to remove the drive.. You could always just boot some partimage liveCD, g4u comes to mind, or PING http://ping.windowsdream.com/

Edited by BudMan

Im running the latest version 1.4.11. And when i click backup, all i get is an encrypted dat file with no options to view anything unencrypted.

So i could just create a tar file of my whole system and store that? I guess what im ideally after is the equivalent of taking the HDD out and ghosting it. but with less effort and without taking the HDD out :-D

edit in response to budman:

this is all i see on the backup page. (edited out empty space and the export key file section)

post-73553-1167323226_thumb.jpg

Now total space Occupied by files is around 700mb. Surely i can just tar that and export it? that being the simplest method in my book, or am i wrong?

Edited by simpleyred

Seems they changed the backup interface from .10 to .11 ;)

I just installed it too a vm, been waiting to update mine from .10 til when .12 comes out.. suppose to be some nice changes, etc..

But you can still modify what is included in the backup in the /var/ipcop/backup dir -- just edit the include/exclude files to backup whatever you want..

I like that you can now mount usb, etc.. to place the backup on.

Really no reason to take a image though.. But if you really want - you could do with any of the many liveCDs designed to do that.. Partimage is one of my favs -- but really you just need to backup your configs -- any addons you have put on.. just edit the include/exclude files in the backup directory to include the locations of your changes..

If you need to put it back -- booting the install asks you if you want to use a backup dat, etc ..

To test it.. you could install it to a VM and use your backup dat file..

You reminded me that I should move to .11, but my install is so "tweaked" I was just going to do a clean install, and retweak -- since that is where most of the fun is ;)

.12 is suppose to include the new kernel and quite a few other changes -- so I have been putting it off til then, soon I think! ;) Last I read in the developers mailing list was that 1.4.12 test was suppose to be out by xmas.. and that should be released early jan 07

I've also heard good things about .12 but .11 had just been released when i decided to switch over to ipcop anyway. as for the tweaks, most of the ones i have installed have new versions anyway so no doubt ill do the same as you when .12 is out. Cheers (Y)