Internet Connection Problems - Wireless Bridge

I have recently connected to belkin router wirelessly, my downstairs one being the adsl router the upstairs being a cable router. The downstairs router calls out the mac address of the upstairs router and then upstairs i have my main pc and secondary pc wired into the router. My laptop then connects wirelessly to the upstairs router thus effectivly creating a sub network in my room. The problem i have is that to connect to the internet even if they 2 rotuers are connected (checked by typing ip of downstairs rotuer) i have to run ie 7s internet connection troublshooter/wizard thus correcting the problem. This doenst happen when the downstyairs rotuer and upstairs router are left on but my dad insists on runing the downstiars one off at night

i have tired leaving the upstairs one on and turning it off but the same result. Is there another way around this???????

It now seems that if i do start, run cmd, and then do ipconfig/release and then ipconfig/renew this problem is solved. I also only encounter this when i am conected via my wired desktop, the laptop on wireless works first time. Wierd.