My Plasma is Buzzing

Hello,

Not long ago, i got my 42" Pioneer ( PDP-4270XA ) but i just noticed something last night.

Whilst watching TV i heard this high-pitch buzz ( Hard to explain really ) and it sounded like it came from my Surround System.

Upon further investigation it turned out to be my TV! The "buzz" became louder each time a bright image was on the TV.

You can't really hear the buzz with audio but It's still there, quite annoying for the ear.

So i turned on my TV this morning and no Buzz, my TV was pretty much on all day last time.

Is this normal? After many hours of use for a TV to generate a small buzzing sound like that?

Seems a bit off for me :/

Normally with TVs I'd say take it back, but I've heard plasmas are subject to low buzzing sound, only if it's quite high should you consider returning it.

You lucky, on Friday my plasma that I had had for 3 weeks power supply blew. had to watch tv on a 14" portable all weekend :(

Luckilly I work at Misco where I bought it from and a van is coming to pick it up later to be replaced mwahah,

I've not had that much expirience with Plasma's but mine never buzzed and it was on from morning till night everyday.

You know, this may be a cable box issue more than a TV issue. With Cablevision, every set in my house would give off a buzzing sound if there was an image with a white background on the screen. The issue subsided over time.

Edited by bangbang023

Ummm...you weren't supposed to hear that high pitch squeal. It is a new feature built into the Plasmas:

Dog Whistles --- : lame I know :

It might have something to do with the power supply not adjusting properly to the 50hz/60hz in your area. It might have been compensating wrong.

I would definately have it checked out though

well what's your elevation? If you're too high above sea level the plasmas buzz. I read that in a Sony's Guide to Home Theatre manual i found online. They were comparing Direct View CRT, LCD, Plasma, RP CRT and in the plasma section they mentioned that Plasma has elevation issues where they'll buzz.

Odds are that's not the case with yours but if you're in Denver or something then yeah.... it'll buzz :)

Amazon.com: Reviews for Samsung HP-S4253 42" Plasma HDTV: Electronics

I read that the higher the elevation, the more work the TV has to work to make the picture, often causing a buzz noise.

Plasma TV Forum / Knowledge Base

Is there a performance limitation with plasma displays at high altitude? Plasmas at high altitudes (>6300ft) can suffer from a buzzing noise.

I had the same problem and found it to be something else on my electrical circuit (computer equipment probably)....I ran an extension cord to other oulets in the house and the buzz went away. Luckly I have an unfinished basement and ran a seperate outlet. The buzz is gone. They do sell powerstrips that filter electricity...around 125.00 for the cheap one. Good luck.

You don't need one that big. Something like this one should be more than enough unless you have a outlandishly powerful system. And yes, these filters usually do stop the buzzing sounds caused by feedback from the power lines.

Those monster bars work great. But really work the salesman if you can, those these have hugee markup. usually over 50%.

Thoes are probably both overkill for his needs.

Edited by Fred Pocius 406

Considering he seemingly has a decent home theater system, that would be nearly worthless. It wouldn't be able to stop the amount of surge the electronics would draw in.

well i'd start small and work my way up. No sence spending 1200.00 or 600.00 if something smaller will work.

well i'd start small and work my way up. No sence spending 1200.00 or 600.00 if something smaller will work.

But work your way up how? See how long before a surge blows out his equipment? I'm not talking about stopping the buzz, I'm talking about the ability of the device to effectively stop a rather strong surge from obviously expensive, probably powerful and energy hungry equipment.

If its buzzing then that won't do anything. That just suppresses surges. What we are recommending filters the power for noise and other harmful peaks and so on. Resulting in better life of the product aswell as better performance.

Read the discription...it is a filter

But work your way up how? See how long before a surge blows out his equipment? I'm not talking about stopping the buzz, I'm talking about the ability of the device to effectively stop a rather strong surge from obviously expensive, probably powerful and energy hungry equipment.

Fine if you don't want to stop the buzz but the thread starter does.

Read the discription...it is a filter

Fine if you don't want to stop the buzz but the thread starter does.

But stopping the buzz shouldn't be his only concern. Obviously, you want to protect the equipment just as much as stop the buzzing sound.

But stopping the buzz shouldn't be his only concern. Obviously, you want to protect the equipment just as much as stop the buzzing sound.

fair enough, well let him make the decision. I'm just answering The BUZZ in his post like he asked.

fair enough, well let him make the decision. I'm just answering The BUZZ in his post like he asked.

But sometimes the best advice is bringing up a point that someone may not have thought of. Obviously, he thought of it, but you seemed to overlook it.

i have just bought a harmon kardon AVR 745 reciever, and newonce 7.1 speaker set. so for some of you guys before you go and say that the power center i choose is over kill i think not.

i have just bought a harmon kardon AVR 745 reciever, and newonce 7.1 speaker set. so for some of you guys before you go and say that the power center i choose is over kill i think not.

To be honest, while it's a great set up, the power requirements don't really necessitate a $1,300 power center.

Okay,

There seems to be alot of suggestions for the buzzing. Gonna leave it alone for now ( Since It's mostly under heavy use ... That's one day a month for me ). Was just worried :)

And by the way - Stop with the freaking thread hijacking?!