720p vs 1080i

I have this tv:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-TX-P2675WH-2...V/dp/B0002KQR3C

It's not much compared to what some people especially around here have, but for my budget when I got it and the size of my apartment, I really couldn't justify anything else.

It's 26in. and supports 480i/p 720p and 1080i

I know that 1080p is useless on TVs less than 40in or so, so I know it's no big deal that I this TV doesn't support it. But with that in mind, how much better would 1080i be than 720p? Wouldn't 720p look better on this set because the screen size is only so large and therefore the resolution wouldn't be noticeable, but at 720p there is the added benefit of the progressive scan? Right?

Or does this TV really just "support" 1080i, meaning that it down samples it to 720p anyway, so there literally is no difference.

Can't remember where I saw it, but I believe that everything is scaled to 540p when outputted. (for CRT that is)

ie. it can accept different timings like 480i/p /720p /1080i, but the TV internally scales it down to a 540p image.

1080i / 2 = 540p

So from what I read ages ago, it doesn't do a real 1080i native image.... but what I read could have been wrong...

Can't remember where I saw it, but I believe that everything is scaled to 540p when outputted. (for CRT that is)

ie. it can accept different timings like 480i/p /720p /1080i, but the TV internally scales it down to a 540p image.

1080i / 2 = 540p

So from what I read ages ago, it doesn't do a real 1080i native image.... but what I read could have been wrong...

Yeah, with 800 lines of resolution, it's definitely not true 1080i.

i think 720p is the best hd res because virtually all monitors support it, games can run smoother and have more detail than running in 1080i/p, and less cpu processing for 720p than 1080p. most people can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. at 1080p, the only detail you're really getting is movie grains because their camera aren't advanced enough to film in at least 1080p.

To be honest, I don't see any difference at all between 720p and 1080i. I played Test Drive Unlimited on the Xbox 360 in both resolutions, and I saw no difference whatsoever. I heard that 720p is meant to run faster, but it was the same, unless this applies to other games?

If you did this test on the same screen, you did it for nothing.

but dude, that's my point. I only have one screen. Obviously on a much larger TV the 1080 might make a difference, but I don't have that screen.

but dude, that's my point. I only have one screen. Obviously on a much larger TV the 1080 might make a difference, but I don't have that screen.

His point is that no matter what res you chose, 720p or 1080i, you wound up seeing the same exact resolution because your set scaled the input to it's native resolution anyway.

His point is that no matter what res you chose, 720p or 1080i, you wound up seeing the same exact resolution because your set scaled the input to it's native resolution anyway.

(Y)