Valve: PS3 a "total disaster on so many levels"

Yet more misery for the PS3 but they think the Wii will win

Valve Software's chief Gabe Newell has unleashed a stinging attack on PS3, saying Sony should cancel the console and start all over again.

"The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted," Newell reportedly said in an interview with Game Informer.

He continued: "I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a do over. Just say, 'This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it'."

It's a different story with Nintendo, however, Newell revealing he really likes "everything that Nintendo is doing."

"The happy story is the Wii," he said. "I'm betting that by Christmas of next year, the Wii has a larger installed base than the 360. Other people think I'm crazy."

Source http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=155309

The thread is valid in that it's not just another Neowinian dumping his baseless opinion in a new thread. This is a "news" piece about how a certain developer feels about the PS3. Whether he's right or not is another matter.

The thread is valid in that it's not just another Neowinian dumping his baseless opinion in a new thread. This is a "news" piece about how a certain developer feels about the PS3. Whether he's right or not is another matter.

and how many developers do we have to listen to moan about how much the ps3 sucks? ive seen a million of these.

I guess we'll wait and see how the next gen experience pans out. I'll still maintain that Sony were foolish to force Blu-ray on the console though..

I can only talk about my 'experience' so far with next gen.. I've just sold my PSTwo (have been a die hard Playstation owner for a few years now) to get a Wii and I know of about 6 people who've bought Wii's too. I don't know anyone in my immediate and extended circle of friends who plans to buy a PS3! :(

Well said but many people here would rather whine about the thread instead of posting their own positive "news" about the PS3. :no:

He continued: "I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a do over. Just say, 'This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it'."

I respect that Valve doesn't like the direction Sony went with the PS3 (neither do I) but as a business themselves it is ridiculous to suggest that Sony drop the hundreds of millions worth of investment and abandon the millions of people that have already bought one; they are just after headlines. Perhaps I'll start listening to Valve when they can release even a single product on time - heck, even their patches are usually delayed by months. Valve was great in its prime but that time has long since passed and they are little more than a laughing stock.

I respect that Valve doesn't like the direction Sony went with the PS3 (neither do I) but as a business themselves it is ridiculous to suggest that Sony drop the hundreds of millions worth of investment and abandon the millions of people that have already bought one; they are just after headlines. Perhaps I'll start listening to Valve when they can release even a single product on time - heck, even their patches are usually delayed by months. Valve was great in its prime but that time has long since passed and they are little more than a laughing stock.

Sorry, but Valve are still more respected than most other developers, EA games being at the bottom of the table here! :p

I believe Valve said last year than the PS3 would be hard to code for, seems that their opinion has gotten more aggressive.

It's beginning to turn into a bandwagon thing now.

Give the console a little more time, jeeez. You can't say some of the games scheduled for release don't look promising.

Ah well I'll be very interested to see what all these people have to say if the PS3 picks up a considerable amount of pace after some good software titles get released :yes:

Will they bite the bullet and agree their predictions were wrong? or remain arrogant? We'll see... We'll see...

Valve are one of the great developers. And it's not like they purposely miss dates to annoy you. Many Many big companies miss dates.

But this statement is pretty harsh, I wonder what annoyed them?

Valve are one of the great developers. And it's not like they purposely miss dates to annoy you. Many Many big companies miss dates.

But this statement is pretty harsh, I wonder what annoyed them?

Actually, many companies have this stupid policy to release things on time, but full of bugs. At least valve want to iron out bugs before it's released.

another thread that is going to end with stupid fights :no:

QFT.

I think I am gonna put up a poll.

1. PS3 sucks

2. PS3 rocks

3. I love flying pigs

Whatever the outcome, all agree not to get into this again. :pinch:

While I agree this is still probably going to go to the dogs, this is a news item worthy of civilized discussion and not a Neowin opinion piece. People should just ignore any off-topic troll bait and continue the discussion on-topic. Just my 2?.

I dont see whats so bad about the PS3. Im not a gamer or anything but it seems like its a good console. I mean its fast and powerful. Youre basing it against an Xbox but remember... the Xbox has a year of games and firmware updates under its belt..

and how many developers do we have to listen to moan about how much the ps3 sucks? ive seen a million of these.

Maybe because people are to busy moaning about people that moan about PS3, maybe we should stop and listen to these people that actually work with the software and hardware than pathetic zealots trying to defend it that dont even have a PS3.

Valve are one of the great developers.

Not are, were. Half-Life was a brilliant game, whilst the mod support was superb - CS and TFC were both well handled, even though Valve didn't create either. Half-Life 2 was a very good game but not on the same level - CSS is great in many respect but support has been poor and the number of levels decreased considerably but mod support has been pretty terrible, with very few interesting projects at all. EP1 was pretty terrible - it had virtually no plot, was too short, was filled with gimmicky gameplay, was hugely delayed and was absurdly linear. EP2 looks interesting but mostly because of TF2. Valve has produced one great game and its sequel, buying up the rest of the products they market (CS, DOD, TFC, etc)... that hardly makes them a "great" developer. They have yet to prove themselves and the support for HL2 has been pretty poor - stripping out features of CS and then adding them back against via updates does not count as "support".

Don't get me wrong, I have really enjoyed Valve products. It's just that the delays and excuses are starting to wear thin and they are still playing off the huge success of the original Half-Life.