[NFL] London to host first NFL game outside of North America

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_spor...all/6248825.stm

London will this autumn host the first regular season NFL game to be played outside North America.

The BBC understands the match will be played at the new Wembley, and that it will be a home game for Miami Dolphins, probably against the New York Giants.

London secured the match ahead of four German cities while Wembley fought off opposition from Twickenham.

I for one will be trying my best to get some tickets. Awesome!

It would be good if it was a success but is there really that much of a following in the UK to make it worthwhile? I can't imagine the atmosphere would be that good in a 90,000 seater stadium unless it was fairly full.

I'll go if it's not too expensive. I don't fully understand the rules, but I enjoy watching it and playing the games. At the very least, it could give me an opportunity to see what they've done with Wembley.

It would be good if it was a success but is there really that much of a following in the UK to make it worthwhile? I can't imagine the atmosphere would be that good in a 90,000 seater stadium unless it was fairly full.

Lets have all the football fans to go there :D

lol

The forthcoming game features two of the NFL's most high-profile teams, and could have a significant bearing on the race to reach the Super Bowl.

Maybe the "most high-profile teams" but not the best :p

Regular season means that the outcome of the game will be a mark on their record. The NFL has a pre, regular, and post season. Games count for the regular and post seasons (only teams with good records go to post seasons). This game in London would be one of 16 that will count in the end. Make sense? :)

I'm not so sure about the high profile either. Dolphins? Giants? Bah!

Regular season means that the outcome of the game will be a mark on their record. The NFL has a pre, regular, and post season. Games count for the regular and post seasons (only teams with good records go to post seasons). This game in London would be one of 16 that will count in the end. Make sense? :)

I'm not so sure about the high profile either. Dolphins? Giants? Bah!

Not particularly excited about the teams they have playing...I think they should have picked some more exciting ones.

Not particularly excited about the teams they have playing...I think they should have picked some more exciting ones.

I nominate a Saints vs Cowboys rematch :devil:

They picked teams with large fan bases that travel well. My Giants are playing in a great city like London and I am definitely going to try to cross the pond to see them!!! :yes: A weekend holiday in London with a Giants football game at The End?! No Open container law in the UK?! Priceless!!!!

They picked teams with large fan bases that travel well. My Giants are playing in a great city like London and I am definitely going to try to cross the pond to see them!!! :yes: A weekend holiday in London with a Giants football game at The End?! No Open container law in the UK?! Priceless!!!!

Yeah well the Giants are my favorite NFL team anyways, but that is beside the point. The point is that the city of Miami loses out on not only having an actual home game and atmosphere but they also lose the income of 1 game in their city.

And the point of this isn't so people from the US travel to the other country. The whole point is for the NFL to be presented in other countries to raise interest. Ever since they got the new NFL comissioner everything seems to be soley based on NFL income and not playing the actual game and being fair to teams.

Yeah thats true too. But with NFL profit sharing, something tells me the team gets their money and thats all that matters to the owners. I am not saying thats right, but it probably is what it is.

Yeah well the Giants are my favorite NFL team anyways, but that is beside the point. The point is that the city of Miami loses out on not only having an actual home game and atmosphere but they also lose the income of 1 game in their city.

prob the reason why they chose Miami... they stink

prob the reason why they chose Miami... they stink

considering this is for the upcoming season, that is totally irrelevant. it's impossible to tell right now which teams will be good by that point.

I'm sure that they have a deal worked out to compensate the teams as best as possible...

and they also get exposure in a huge market that other NFL teams won't be getting. At the end of the day no matter who they pick will be losing some money due to this...but they are a a part of a larger organization which they have a responsibility to promote. Two teams did it in Mexico City last year and nobody was really complaining within those organizations.

I'm sure that they have a deal worked out to compensate the teams as best as possible...

and they also get exposure in a huge market that other NFL teams won't be getting. At the end of the day no matter who they pick will be losing some money due to this...but they are a a part of a larger organization which they have a responsibility to promote. Two teams did it in Mexico City last year and nobody was really complaining within those organizations.

wasn't that a preseason game though?