• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Install Beryl on Ubuntu

ThehAWKs    2

This Site help Me to get Beryl on Ubuntu Edgy with nVidia drivers i did a Automatic installation used beryl-install-script

it did the whole installation the only thing i had to do was add beryl-manager to startup Programs i did this on a fresh install must have working internet

Guide That I Used

Install Beryl on Ubuntu Edgy with nVidia

Main Site beryl-project.org

The_Napster    0

Would people recommend my putting Beryl onto a pentium 4 laptop running at 1.73 ghz with 1 gig of ram or is it not needed? It looks pretty and all that but is it worth the frills?

DigitalE    10

What if I have an ATI card?

Not Cool    0
Would people recommend my putting Beryl onto a pentium 4 laptop running at 1.73 ghz with 1 gig of ram or is it not needed? It looks pretty and all that but is it worth the frills?

You also need an actual graphics card, not integrated. If you have one then its up to you. I like it mainly because of the expose-like features and its desktops. Also the transparency is very nice. Basically all of the aspects that make it macesque.

What if I have an ATI card?

Here

Robgig1088    0

actually you dont need a graphics card, just Xorg 7.1 or later. You can use integrated intel graphics. If you use ATI, i feel sorry for you (drivers are sucky so getting Beryl to work will not be fun...)

Not Cool    0
actually you dont need a graphics card, just Xorg 7.1 or later. You can use integrated intel graphics. If you use ATI, i feel sorry for you (drivers are sucky so getting Beryl to work will not be fun...)

However with an actual graphics card it would be faster. Integrated graphics would be pretty slow.

Robgig1088    0

AIGLX is surprisingly fast. XGL is actually incredibly slow and requires direct rendering. Really, the best bet is NVidia (but they have their own bugs). So really I would recommend AIGLX. Its really fast (maybe not with blur turned on but thats scheduled for some speed improvements soon....)

Ziertiek    0

I have a problem. I installed Ubuntu 6.10 on my laptop and I used the Nvidia install guide suggested above, but when i use beryl i lose my title bars (with minimize, maxumixe, close) on all my windows. If i want to get them back i need to select the Gnome window manager. Anyway have any help? Ive tried uninstalling then reinstalling both Beryl and the Nvidia drivers. The graphics card in this is a 6600 GO connected through PCI-E. Its a fresh install, and im very new to linux, so i wouldn't be too surprised if i missed something basic.

Not Cool    0

rich.bradshaw    0

I have beryl installed with an integrated Intel chip, and it works fine. No noticeable slow down at all.

Omegatron    0

Feisty Fawn testers: there is a problem with the last ATI driver and .20 kernel wait for feisty final release

k311    1

ive been trying for weeks to get this to work, and these two guides are what did it for me:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy#Ho...er_.28NVIDIA.29

Really from this first guide, all i did was followed the link to install and run the envy script for my nvidia card

and then i followed this guide exactly:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy#Ho...LX_.28Nvidia.29

And everything is running perfectly!

Im running on an nvidia geforce2 mx400 64mb ddr by the way, and it runs great, no complaints.

Brian M.    778

OK, it wasnt ubuntu, but it works with the included (opensource) drivers for my x550 :s

and yes, it works fine on integrated graphics

PL_    19

Ubuntu Fiesty has this thing called Desktop Effects. Is that the same as Beryl?

Impact    0

^^ NO, the desktop effects are done by Compiz, where he is setting up Beryl. I have also found that its impossible to get the desktop effects built-in to feisty to work on an ATI card.

Rob2687    72

Desktop Effects should work on the ati open source driver with AIGLX. With XGL it may not work because you have to use LD_PRELOAD. I don't think Desktop Effects handles that.

-Vivicidal-    4

When I last had Ubuntu installed (just before Xmas), beryl didn't like my nVidia 8600GT, is it supported yet?

markjensen    98

There is no beryl. Only Compiz-fusion.

(beryl has been merged back into the main compiz tree)

Aaron    27
However with an actual graphics card it would be faster. Integrated graphics would be pretty slow.

rusn fast as anything on this PC, with an integrated graphics

There is no beryl. Only Compiz-fusion.

(beryl has been merged back into the main compiz tree)

That is my understanding as well, but it is a bit confusing.

osxdude    1

Hey hey hey. With Ubuntu 7.10, if your graphics card is fully compatible, during installation (even with an alternate CD) it will determine weather to default with special effects with either softcore, hardcore, or off.

Ji@nBing    53

Back when I was playing with Ubuntu a few months back, I got it running on my ATi X1200 integrated card. It took me several hours over the course of a few days though and trying many, many different things read on several forums. Really made me want to have nothing to do with Linux :p. Unfortunately I don't remember what I did to finally get it working.

Julius Caro    55

compiz/beryl is not windows aero, I've seen beryl work on very old graphics cards. and aero on nvidias 5xxx, at least