[Guide] HP Notebook Formatting Guide

Ok, forgetting those problems right now, I have another question:

Although sound is working, I have no control over volume. I did the HQP install as you indicated. Any clues?

That's strange. It hasn't happened to me before. Is this in Windows or QuickPlay?

Scirwode

Good guide. I hate all the software that they all come with, but HPs look like they have a clean install compared to Toshiba... Toshibas have around 70 processes when idle out of the box. HPs are about 50 or so.

Anyway, (Y)

Good guide. I hate all the software that they all come with, but HPs look like they have a clean install compared to Toshiba... Toshibas have around 70 processes when idle out of the box. HPs are about 50 or so.

Anyway, (Y)

My brother in law had a Toshiba notebook. It took me a while just to get it to work properly, and I keep pressing the wrong keys as Toshiba notebooks have a different layout than the rest of the competition :pinch: .

Scirwode

That's strange. It hasn't happened to me before. Is this in Windows or QuickPlay?

Scirwode

In Windows... The volume buttons are not working, and when I try to change the volume in the windows volume control I get a "gong" wav for prohibited action...

• Is there any problem in installing audio at last?
  • Which from the drivers list you gave should be installed from a setup and not by windows driver update wizard?
  • After Windows XP instalation I went into device manager and started to update drivers with window's wizard help. I belive the only one wich was an exception was the quick play.

P.S.: just learned to make a list! huahuahauha

Update! I've tried to install (again, without uninstall) the audio drivers, now by the setup exec. You said that it would lead to an error message, but it didn't... In fact, it made the sound controllable by the windows volume control, but it still gives that "gong" sound, and the laptop volume buttons still doesn't work...

for those with Volume buttons not working tried to install HP Quick Launch Buttons software?

I did not. How can I do it? I mean, were (folder) is the installer located?

Yup, great guide. Just a note, we had this exact problem at work with the business model laptops. I believe it was one of the NC version laptops, i don't recall, but we found that loading the SATA driver requires about only a few supported external USB floppy drives. I guess the bios is in control of the floppy at first and lets you push F6 to grab the driver, but after that when the OS takes over, its unable to read the floppy drive to copy the driver over you specified in F6. We ended up purchasing a TEAC IBM supported drive for under $20 and then was able to load the driver.

I was not aware of how to use nlite to get the driver in the CD but now i know! Thanks man! Keep up the great work!

Supported External USB Floppy drives that i know of:

• Device ID = VID: 057B and PID: 0000 for SONY external USB floppy diskette drive, Sony part number 09K9835
  • Device ID = VID: 0644 and PID: 0000 for TEAC external USB floppy diskette drive, IBM replacement part number (FRU) 13N6752

Source

Update! I've tried to install (again, without uninstall) the audio drivers, now by the setup exec. You said that it would lead to an error message, but it didn't... In fact, it made the sound controllable by the windows volume control, but it still gives that "gong" sound, and the laptop volume buttons still doesn't work...

I did not. How can I do it? I mean, were (folder) is the installer located?

You need to get it from HP Website for your laptop model.

Oh well, at least you manage to figure it out :p . There are however many people out there who are still struggling with this issue so this more for them then :laugh: . However, I would be very interested to learn from the results of obtaining the SWSETUP folder so it would be appreciated if you give an update.

Scirwode

Here you go, everything you need for HP Vista Laptops is here Notebook Review HP forum

You need to get it from HP Website for your laptop model.

Sure? Shouldn't they be available somewhere inside the swsetup folder? I just looked in HP site and wasn't able to find it. Can you give me a link?

Well, I just found the folder: QLB for quick lauch buttons...

I don't know if it was already like this before I installed QLB, but I just noticed that the volume buttons are in fact working: when I use them with the windows volume control windows opened, I can see the bar going up and down. The thing now is that before formatting when I pressed those buttos a green volume bar was shown in the screen, just like a TV set. Now they are gone. sniff, sniff.

I just talked to the HP guyz. They haven't released any drivers for QLB for Vista yet apart from some Compaq business series notebooks.

They told me the drivers will get released as soon as within a week of Vista launch but I am yet to see them.

I went to HP site for my laptop (DV 8310TX) and I found a new BIOS (probably some changes for Vista) and a HP Software Update so I assume the drivers will be coming soon.

I'm trying to partition the C drive into 2, and trying to take a shortcut by using Acronis Disk Director. However, I noticed from the summary page, Acronis will change the cluster size from 4kb to 8kb on the Recovery partition and increase QuickPlay hidden partition from 1.003 GB to 1.004GB. Hence i'm quite hesitated to proceed. Any ideas?

partitiongt5.jpg

Couple of questions:

1) I hate reinstalling and reconfiguring, and I have found myself going into the BIOs and turning off Native SATA support to be able to use a image I created (I have 5 computers and I just make one image with lots of tweaks and no drivers). Would it be possible to to install the storage drivers after boot into windows with native sata turned off?

2) With XP, I always used an OEM cd to reinstall (make images) because it allowed me to activate using the key that came with my computer.

Do you know if it's possible to do that with VISTA?

thanks

It seems the revision for this guide is a bit delayed due to me being infected with a very nasty virus :cry: . My desktop is a mess and I can't access nearly all my old documents including the revision to the guide, which included information on Windows Vista. I apologise for the delay as the Notebook Buying Guide must also go into the back burner for the moment.

I'm currently posting this from my father's Mac Mini as I can't access the internet on my notebook :cry: .

Scirwode

It seems the revision for this guide is a bit delayed due to me being infected with a very nasty virus :cry: . My desktop is a mess and I can't access nearly all my old documents including the revision to the guide, which included information on Windows Vista. I apologise for the delay as the Notebook Buying Guide must also go into the back burner for the moment.

I'm currently posting this from my father's Mac Mini as I can't access the internet on my notebook :cry: .

Scirwode

Sorry to hear what happened.

I starting using online backup in fear days like this. MOZY.com is what i use. The last few months all my clients started getting worried if just HD or DVD backups are sufficient. I found mozy the best for the money... and better then the more expensive ones. very reliable and doesn't use much resource, and i get to use my own encryption key.

good luck

Sorry to hear what happened.

I starting using online backup in fear days like this. MOZY.com is what i use. The last few months all my clients started getting worried if just HD or DVD backups are sufficient. I found mozy the best for the money... and better then the more expensive ones. very reliable and doesn't use much resource, and i get to use my own encryption key.

good luck

I've got my external hard disk which fortunately was not connected at the time so most of my important files such as my MP3's and applications are fine. That said, I will have a look at it as soon as I have the time. Meanwhile, I'm trying to burn a new nLite CD as my old one is a bit old. I hate formatting my computer as it takes too long to install all the necessary applications for my work, plus the fact that I have to call Microsoft to activate it makes it a pain :pinch: .

I'm also thinking of getting Nod32 as my Avast! Home didn't detect the virus but Nod32 did. I have heard quite a bit about Nod32 and it seems to be very good. Unfortunately it was too late for Nod32 to remove it as it seems to be working on my Desktop and I can't access it. Finding it in Malaysia is a bit of a problem though I have heard that they have student rebates so I might try to get it.

Again, I'm sorry for the delay and I will try to get it up as soon as possible.

Scirwode

I've got my external hard disk which fortunately was not connected at the time so most of my important files such as my MP3's and applications are fine. That said, I will have a look at it as soon as I have the time. Meanwhile, I'm trying to burn a new nLite CD as my old one is a bit old. I hate formatting my computer as it takes too long to install all the necessary applications for my work, plus the fact that I have to call Microsoft to activate it makes it a pain :pinch: .

I'm also thinking of getting Nod32 as my Avast! Home didn't detect the virus but Nod32 did. I have heard quite a bit about Nod32 and it seems to be very good. Unfortunately it was too late for Nod32 to remove it as it seems to be working on my Desktop and I can't access it. Finding it in Malaysia is a bit of a problem though I have heard that they have student rebates so I might try to get it.

Again, I'm sorry for the delay and I will try to get it up as soon as possible.

Scirwode

I avoid the reactivation by making two images of OS.

One right after activation with no extra software.

Then I separate all my date from OS (like a car should have passenger separate from engine.. relocation desktop, favorites, firefox profiles, relocate temp stuff to a temp partition). Install all my programs, tweaks etc. make back up of OS only.

Big timesaver for me. When i recover, I dump all temp files (easy since it's on separate partition) and all my working files will be as I left it.

(oh... I noticed if half year passed.. can reactivate over internet with no problem :D )

I avoid the reactivation by making two images of OS.

One right after activation with no extra software.

Then I separate all my date from OS (like a car should have passenger separate from engine.. relocation desktop, favorites, firefox profiles, relocate temp stuff to a temp partition). Install all my programs, tweaks etc. make back up of OS only.

Big timesaver for me. When i recover, I dump all temp files (easy since it's on separate partition) and all my working files will be as I left it.

(oh... I noticed if half year passed.. can reactivate over internet with no problem :D )

That or you can do this:

1. Double-click My Computer
  2. Double-click on the "C" drive
  3. Go to the C:\Windows\System32 folder (you may have to click on the link that says "Show The contents of this folder")
  4. Find the files "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" and copy them to a safe location. You can copy them on a floppy drive or burn it onto a CD or DVD.
  5. After you have reinstalled Windows XP on your reformatted hard drive, click "No" when asked if you want to go ahead and go through the activation process
  6. Reboot your computer into SafeMode (you can either press F8 as Windows is booting up to see the Windows Advanced Options menu and select SAFEBOOT_OPTION=Minimal or follow the instructions in Starting Windows XP in SafeMode
  7. Double-click My Computer
  8. Double-click on the "C" drive
  9. Go to the C:\Windows\System32 folder (you may have to click on the link that says "Show The contents of this folder")
  10. Find the file "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" (if it exists) and rename them to "wpadbl.new" and "wpabak.new"
  11. Copy your original "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" files from your floppy disk, CD or DVD into the C:\Windows\System32 folder
  12. Restart your system (if you followed the directions in Starting Windows XP in SafeMode you may need to go back into MSCONFIG to turn off booting into SafeMode)

Errr missing easyest method of them all... If you go into bio's you can put on Sata Compatible which will enable any laptop or desktop to install oldor OS's such as XP/2K/98/ME etc

[*]Find the files "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" and copy them to a safe location. You can copy them on a floppy drive or burn it onto a CD or DVD.

Do you know if there is similar method for Vista?

The only times I've ever reinstalled was with major service pack releases or new computer. Otherwise I alway go back to last OS backup with all the softwares and settings on it. But your method is very simple easy :yes: