Vista Home Premium : Will not save logon credentials for networking

Hi,

I got myself a copy of Vista Home Premium OEM yesterday. I am still unsure of whether I like it or not - but one thing that is REALLY trying my patience that I spent 2hrs trying to sort last night.

In XP, when connecting to other computers, you could save the username and password so that you dont have to enter it everytime you after you restart or whatever (by ticking the "remember password" box). In Vista, it doesn't seem to work. When I connect to another computer on my network, I get the Windows login box like normal - I enter the username and password, I tick the "remember" box, and it connects. After I reboot, I have to do it again - instead of it remembering it like it should.

When I go into Accounts and go into "Manage my network passwords" (or sommet like that), and I click to add a new password - I cannot create "A Windows Logon Credential". I can only create the web one. The radio button for Windows Logon is greyed out.

I REALLY hope this is something that is not built into Home Premium otherwise I will feel 100% cheated out of 80 quid. But I am confident that its some security thing that just needs to be got round.

Any ideas?

Hi,

I got myself a copy of Vista Home Premium OEM yesterday. I am still unsure of whether I like it or not - but one thing that is REALLY trying my patience that I spent 2hrs trying to sort last night.

In XP, when connecting to other computers, you could save the username and password so that you dont have to enter it everytime you after you restart or whatever (by ticking the "remember password" box). In Vista, it doesn't seem to work. When I connect to another computer on my network, I get the Windows login box like normal - I enter the username and password, I tick the "remember" box, and it connects. After I reboot, I have to do it again - instead of it remembering it like it should.

When I go into Accounts and go into "Manage my network passwords" (or sommet like that), and I click to add a new password - I cannot create "A Windows Logon Credential". I can only create the web one. The radio button for Windows Logon is greyed out.

I REALLY hope this is something that is not built into Home Premium otherwise I will feel 100% cheated out of 80 quid. But I am confident that its some security thing that just needs to be got round.

Any ideas?

Try to disable UAC.

No XP home never offered an option for doing that either, XP Pro did mind you, Vista Business like XP Pro does offer you the option, so my guess is its related to the home editions, you can always turn off the "password protected sharing" option on other machines assuming they use vista, otherwise your going to be typing in your password each time :( Oh yeah UAC has nothing to do with it not saving passwords its a "feature/limitation" i still call it a bug

No XP home never offered an option for doing that either, XP Pro did mind you, Vista Business like XP Pro does offer you the option, so my guess is its related to the home editions, you can always turn off the "password protected sharing" option on other machines assuming they use vista, otherwise your going to be typing in your password each time :( Oh yeah UAC has nothing to do with it not saving passwords its a "feature/limitation" i still call it a bug

You've gotta be kidding me. That has got to be the worst call ever by Microsoft. Stupid piece of crap. There must be a way around it - I mean - its a simple god damn thing.

If it isn't a feature that is in Home Premium, why am I able to tick the tick box for "remember password" when i am asked for my logon credentials?

I find it hard to believe that this simple thing is not possible.

The naming of the versions of Vista are stupid - there are far too many of them. I am thinking I should have got Vista Buisness now as I don't need any of the media crap in Premium.

You've gotta be kidding me. That has got to be the worst call ever by Microsoft. Stupid piece of crap. There must be a way around it - I mean - its a simple god damn thing.

If it isn't a feature that is in Home Premium, why am I able to tick the tick box for "remember password" when i am asked for my logon credentials?

I find it hard to believe that this simple thing is not possible.

The naming of the versions of Vista are stupid - there are far too many of them. I am thinking I should have got Vista Buisness now as I don't need any of the media crap in Premium.

Yeah business is nice, I'm just anoyed I can't remove windows mail as it keeps overriding thunderbird as default mail app. When will M$ give users what they want, A way to COMPLETELY remove not hide the crap we never use and don't need. FFS I hope linux hurries up and makes software installation an easy task as it is on windows and osx once they do that windows gets dumped on its fat arse.

is settin the share to be anonymously accessible an option you'd be willing to do? that'd prevent it from ever asking the password for it again

is settin the share to be anonymously accessible an option you'd be willing to do? that'd prevent it from ever asking the password for it again

I wouldn't mind that - but unfortunately - it is a Mac that I am connecting to and it requires you log in with a username and password.

And before people start saying its something to do with the mac - Its not because I had no problems on XP.

Yeah business is nice, I'm just anoyed I can't remove windows mail as it keeps overriding thunderbird as default mail app. When will M$ give users what they want, A way to COMPLETELY remove not hide the crap we never use and don't need. FFS I hope linux hurries up and makes software installation an easy task as it is on windows and osx once they do that windows gets dumped on its fat arse.

can't you use that vlite software to elimanate all that stuff?

can't you use that vlite software to elimanate all that stuff?

Dunno - not fussed at the moment as I am still learning Vista - I am more bothered by basic networking features that are supposedly not implemented on Home Premium. I will have someones balls at MS if it does turn out that you cannot save credentials for logging into remote computers.

Still lookin for ideas guys :) Anyone?!

how about mapping the share as a mapped drive? you can click the mapped drive and authenticate with another user name and password. then it should be available to you without issue.

how about mapping the share as a mapped drive? you can click the mapped drive and authenticate with another user name and password. then it should be available to you without issue.

Right - I have discovered more stuff.

I tried your way. I mapped one of the hard drives I use connected to my Mac. When I reboot it reconnects fine. I can also go into my Mac and see all the other drives without needing to enter the password.

So if I can do it that way - why can I not do it so that it just remembers the password when I click straight on the Mac icon in Network. I do not get it. Surely this is a bug?

When I try and connect to my other Windows machines (my server and my laptop - both with the same accounts set up as what I use on Vista), they connect without asking me for a password - so it is infact something to do with Mac and Windows security incompatability. But if I could get Vista to remember passwords I choose to save - then It would get rid of my problem.

Can someone else with Home Premium please confirm that Control Panel > User Accounts > Manage your Network passwords , and then clicking add - that "a windows logon credential" is greyed out? And then could someone with Vista Buisness also confirm that this option is available to them?

Thx

• 3 weeks later...

hi i can confirm that its greyed out.

last nite i installed vista home premium for a mediacenter PC in my daughters bedroom, only to be stumped by it not remembering passwords.

i was under the impression that the editions stacked up like this

vista home starter = xp home

vista home premium = mediacenter edition

vista business = xp pro

vista ultimate = ultimate rip off

now xp home couldnt save passwords...

mediacenter edition 2005, can save passwords (based on xp pro)

why have m$ put the option for "remember password" in vista home premium, if it cant remember them??????!

seems like now i need to get either vista ultimate edition if i want mediacenter capability with basic networking needs.

what a rip off m$ are.. is it any wonder people pirate their products so much?

unsure weather ill stay with vista, i may just buy another MCE 2005 license, no way im paying for ultimate edition just for this basic function:(

Edited by kC_

this is totally pants!

Been struggling with this issue all week. Figure it has to be a bug. Media Center lets you watch network folders, but refuses to remember the passwords to those folders! no way.

At the moment my biggest problem is getting it to log into my NAS boxes, they use <local>\guest accounts and even on manual entry of password, it takes about 3 attempts until it lets me in. Must be a bug!

Anyone know of a third part FREEWARE app to solve this? i used to have one that would map drives and do various other things like wirelesssettings and IP settings when chooseing different profiles. but the name evades me.

Right - I have discovered more stuff.

I tried your way. I mapped one of the hard drives I use connected to my Mac. When I reboot it reconnects fine. I can also go into my Mac and see all the other drives without needing to enter the password.

So if I can do it that way - why can I not do it so that it just remembers the password when I click straight on the Mac icon in Network. I do not get it. Surely this is a bug?

When I try and connect to my other Windows machines (my server and my laptop - both with the same accounts set up as what I use on Vista), they connect without asking me for a password - so it is infact something to do with Mac and Windows security incompatability. But if I could get Vista to remember passwords I choose to save - then It would get rid of my problem.

So it sounds like it's a problem / interaction with the way the Mac SMB sharing works? Is it remembering the password properly when you connect to other Windows machines?

i was under the impression that the editions stacked up like this

vista home starter = xp home

vista home premium = mediacenter edition

vista business = xp pro

vista ultimate = ultimate rip off

now xp home couldnt save passwords...

mediacenter edition 2005, can save passwords (based on xp pro)

why have m$ put the option for "remember password" in vista home premium, if it cant remember them??????!

No, Even though MCE 2005 was based on XP Pro, it didn't have the option to remember the password unless you:

a. Upgraded from a previous version

b. Set HKLM\MCE\WPA\MedCtrUpg\IsLegacyMCE to "1"

This will also give you functionality to join domains. It sounds like they've done the same thing, only didn't disable (or hide) the "remember password" checkbox. I was so annoyed with this in 2005 until I found the reg fix.

Until you find a permanent solution, I would recommend you have a batch file or VBS script n the Startup folder or RUN key to authenticate you for the duration of your session: "net use \\machine /u:machine\user password"

cheers yeah, have resorted to batch files, but defeats the point of passwords when they are written in plain text!

Odd thing is check boxes are here in VISTA HOME PREM, but ticking them means bugger all.

• 7 months later...
cheers yeah, have resorted to batch files, but defeats the point of passwords when they are written in plain text!

Odd thing is check boxes are here in VISTA HOME PREM, but ticking them means bugger all.

Just to confirm what an earlier poster said -- Vista Home Premium is able to automatically map network shares, if you add an account to the remote machine with the same username/password that Vista is using. You don't have to use batch files or plaintext passwords.

• 2 months later...