What made you switch.

I switched about a year and a half ago...although I originally was a Mac user (first computer ever was an Apple Macintosh LC II in 1991, when I was 8 or 9 years old).

My reasons:

I work on a Help Desk for my day job. Last thing I wanted to do when I got home was fix a Windows PC. In fact, it got to the point where I didn't enjoy computers anymore because of how much work I had to do at work to fix them, then come home and have to use Windows at night. You could say I was almost burnt out before I switched at home.

I wanted something that just worked when I got home, so I could reclaim the fun times I had with computers before it became my career.

I wanted a new challenge, as I learned just about everything I could learn about Windows.

OS X matched perfectly what I was looking for. Extremely easy-to-use, powerful, and just plain works. I can do everything from easily adding photos from my camera to bringing out my inner UNIX. No Windows box can do this and Linux is still too rough around the edges.

• 2 weeks later...

I will order a 15" MBP either today or tomorrow. Admittedly, it's more machine than I "need", but I tend to overbuy... Why? I'm so tired of Windows (been using nothing but Windows since 1995)--security issues, validation, etc... No way I will buy Vista, so I figure I might as well switch to a new OS now..

• 2 weeks later...

I switched to a 20" iMac mid February after a 5 month thinking about it process. I was in the market for a new pc anyway as my laptop was reaching the end of its life. Vista was all in the news but I had also been very impressed with the decision by Apple to introduce the intel processor allowing Windows to be used on the mac.

The iMac is simply a stunning looking pc and that's what hooked me first. After getting on a first name term with the assistants I would be in the shop every week checking the 3 models out. I opted for the 20" as it suited my needs perfectly. I have Vista installed to play around on but OSX is what I use daily.

hehe so many people switching because of vista it's not even funny :p

So true, so true... My MBP was delivered 3/6/07, and I think I am in lust.... I've never used OS X for more than a few moments before, so it's taking me a bit to get used to it, but so far, I love it. Just wish there was a image editing program that worked exactly like paint.net on Windows... I sure as hell don't need something as complex as PhotoShop, nor even the Gimp...

Vista's silly "anti-piracy" stuff. I have no doubt that, had I stuck with Windows, I would have had to reinstall Vista multiple times. I don't want to have to pay for software and then deal with getting it activated every time I have to reinstall.

So true, so true... My MBP was delivered 3/6/07, and I think I am in lust.... I've never used OS X for more than a few moments before, so it's taking me a bit to get used to it, but so far, I love it. Just wish there was a image editing program that worked exactly like paint.net on Windows... I sure as hell don't need something as complex as PhotoShop, nor even the Gimp...

I agree. The one thing I miss from Windows is Paint.NET. There is nothing like it on OS X. I am real surprised no one has attempted to come up with something similar for OS X.

In fact, that is one of the only reasons I startup Parallels these days.

I switched to Mac in 2003, after 8 years of dealing with Windows. I spend a lot of time sitting in front of a computer. I had already had a comfortable chair, so the logical step was to start using a comfortable operating system.

Even though I'm an experienced OS X user now, I still find myself gazing at the screen, thinking: "Wow, it works exactly how I'd expect it to". I had never had that feeling while using Windows.

My only regret is not switching earlier.

I switched to Mac OS X in October last year. Coming from a strong Windows and DOS background I simply wanted to switch to something reliable and new.

After experiencing Mac OS X I would never want to use Windows as my primary home computer (OS) again. The actual operating system itself is completely different to Windows. The machine performs fast, smooth and always lives up to or beyond my expectations.

I have not a single regret from switching, in fact I wish I switched to Mac OS X earlier. I do miss programming in Windows, however I can easily do that on my other PC (or boot into Windows via BootCamp or virtualisation).

If there is anyone seriously considering the switch to Mac OS X, I recommend it.

I switch a year and a half ago primarily because I was simply bored with Windows in general. It had gotten to the point where I was literally running out of things to reasonably customize; the only thing made by Microsoft that I used was just the operating system, none of the original software was left even installed (bye bye Explorer, IE, so on and so forth..). I finally reached a point where I decided that instead of the complexity, I wanted simplicity, and I wanted to start over.

I've been so amazingly happy with the interface in OS X that not once have I felt compelled to change it (not counting converting all Metal apps to Unified.. o.0). The operating system has not done me wrong, it keeps me happy. Everything for the most part honestly just works.

I've been trying to give Vista a reasonable shot on another PC of mine, but to be honest it looks like I'll be going back to XP. Too many hassles, not enough of a benefit. I'll be sticking with OS X for years to come.

I was fairly skeptical about macs, don't really remember why. But my sister is architect and she used mac all the time. I thought it looked cool and she seemed to have a lot less issues with maintaining her mac.

I think what swung it was expose and the other desktop effects. Like most things in OS X, it just seemed to make tasks more simple and easy. I went out and bought an ibook G4 a year ago and that was it. I've never looked back and feel frustrated when I use windows now. How things have changed