Arctic Silver 5 Question

I just bought one for my AMD Athlon X2.

When I looked at the guide from Arctic Silver, I noticed that they didn't say to mention to spread the paste around like I usually hear.

Is there a reason why you don't need to for the X2 series? Or are they wrong?

just user the amound of maybe a grain or rice, and then *in my case* use the heatsink to spread it, no point in using something else when you only need a small film amount and you cant predict where more will be needed then other spaces.

How ever the HS w/ my x2 came w/ a paste on it, i just used that and the temps were lowe then my 3700+ off the bat.

AS5 is meant to be spread during application (you put a glob in the middle, and when the heatsink goes on, it spreads itself)

Other pastes like the silicone based ones could also be applied like this, but they can also be spread.

I always spread mine around with my finger, and then put the heatsink on and it works pretty well. My temps are 25 degrees celsius idle with an athlon 64 3200+ and a thermaltake big typhoon heatsink and fan.

I always spread mine around with my finger, and then put the heatsink on and it works pretty well. My temps are 25 degrees celsius idle with an athlon 64 3200+ and a thermaltake big typhoon heatsink and fan.

:| Finger? You know it's not clean, right?

you don't spread it... you just put a dab in the middle

:yes:

AS5 is meant to be spread during application (you put a glob in the middle, and when the heatsink goes on, it spreads itself)

Other pastes like the silicone based ones could also be applied like this, but they can also be spread.

:yes:

:no: - I can only imagine the other boneheaded things that are done....

Anyone actually bother to see what Arctic Silver recommends? I'm pretty sure they'll know what's best for their product, and they don't recommend spreading it around before installing the heatsink. Also, there's a different procedure for dual core processors, etc.

Just put a tiny bit on the middle of the CPU. The pressure of the heatsink when properly clamped down will cause it to spread out evenly anyway. On CPUs with a heat spreader there is no need to use razorblades, fingers, knives or whatever - let the heatsink do the work for you. That's what Arctic Silver recommends also.

guess i have gotten *lucky* over the years then. i say that because i have used my finger to spread it as well. if the amount of oil in that small part of my finger is going to do that much damage. then wow. using something with a decent edge to is probably preferred tho.

Anyone actually bother to see what Arctic Silver recommends? I'm pretty sure they'll know what's best for their product, and they don't recommend spreading it around before installing the heatsink. Also, there's a different procedure for dual core processors, etc.

Wanna make a bet on that? :p

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Some cores, the instructions states to use a line across the core, eg Dual Core Chips, whilst other cores it stated to use the razor blades application method like the one below.

Quote from Artic Silver 5 PDF Instructions.

Spread Arctic Silver 5 over the CPU core as shown in the photo to the right. The small amount from the photo above

has been carefully spread over the top of the core using a single edge razor blade. A razor blade or the clean edge of a credit card can be used as an application tool. You may use whatever tool is available as long as it is CLEAN and allows you to control the application area and thickness. The flatter the mating surface of a CPU and heatsink,

the thinner the layer of Arctic Silver 5 is required. Stock processors and/or heatsinks with normal surface irregularities will require a layer 0.003" to 0.005 thick as shown below to fill the resultant gaps. (Equal to the thickness of about 1 sheet of standard weight paper.) Properly lapped heatsinks with mirror finishes will only require a translucent haze.