Vista OEM?

On Friday, I read an article in which the author installed Vista thrice on three completely different (unique MB, CPU, video card, etc) systems. The online activation failed him, at which point he had to call and was forced to talk with customer support. They gave him the info he needed, and he was able to activate on the "new" hardware. He did this re-activation for each system.

I cannot remember where it was that I read this, however. If I find it, I'll be sure to provide a link.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=352&a...xpert&pid=4

This definitely makes the OEM seem much more appealing. I know for sure with XP the OEMs couldnt reactivate online, but it was very easy to activate by phone.

As someone mentioned earlier, i'm curious how the dell oem discs will be. with xp, they were preactivated, and you could install xp onto any dell computer without needing the cdkey (since a dell oem one was built in)

I kind of dont think the dell vista oem will be that simple though. I will be getting one in the next few weeks so it'll be interesting to find out.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=352&a...xpert&pid=4

This definitely makes the OEM seem much more appealing. I know for sure with XP the OEMs couldnt reactivate online, but it was very easy to activate by phone.

As someone mentioned earlier, i'm curious how the dell oem discs will be. with xp, they were preactivated, and you could install xp onto any dell computer without needing the cdkey (since a dell oem one was built in)

I kind of dont think the dell vista oem will be that simple though. I will be getting one in the next few weeks so it'll be interesting to find out.

Cool, that puts a stop on the rest of the Vista OEM threads.

From Newegg's specifications tab for the OEM vistas:

"This OEM software is intended for system builders only and cannot be transferred to another PC once it is installed."

There's conflicting info about this it seems.

From Newegg's specifications tab for the OEM vistas:

"This OEM software is intended for system builders only and cannot be transferred to another PC once it is installed."

There's conflicting info about this it seems.

No, its not conflicting info. That's standard legal garb for OEM software.

No, its not conflicting info. That's standard legal garb for OEM software.

yup, that would make sense. even with XP OEM, was it ever meant to be reactivated on diff machines? i've had several oem ibms, dells that were bought second hand, and xp was able to reinstall on them several times, and activate with quick phone call.