Unable to login to MSN with vista

Hey guys,

This is a really weird one. I'm unable to sign into MSN on Vista, yet my iBook and my XP laptop both work fine. I never had any problems with this PC with XP, so I can only assume it's a Vista issue. I can browse the web and download windows updates with no issues at all.

I've tried using Live Messenger, Trillian and GAIM, and none of them will connect. Yet I load Messenger on my laptop - connects right away. Load Adium on my iBook, same again. I've run the Live Messenger diagnostics and it says everything is fine.

I've tried turning Windows Firewall on and off, there is no AV installed yet, this is a fresh install.

Any suggestions?

q

edit:

This is now sorted, thanks to werew

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

command prompt administrator and all work :-)

hopefully this will help other people out.

Edited by qbie

live messenger has a automatic live detection service - which detects when noobs try to connect to their service- it automatically blocks them off.. :p j/k matt..

if you've gone through all the settings then i'd go for fresh install again. :(

you could probably try "enable filesharing" in Network Centre !?!?

check msn is ticked in firewall..

post-22438-1170169192_thumb.jpg

lol thx...

Yes, my date is set correctly. I just put a new mobo in today so thats one of the first things I did.

Just a few more things I've tried:

Updated Firmware on Router (Netgear DG834G V2)

Uninstalled/Reinstalled Live Messenger

Turned on/off uPnP on router and in Windows (device discovery)

Tried changing MTU on router (can't figure out how to do it in Vista?)

I've now got a situation where, if I run the MSN diagnostics, it gives me an exclamation mark on "Key Ports", and when I fix it, it says it's ok but still won't connect. After a reboot, it's back to having a ! .

It seems to be improving, if I attempt to login on the Vista PC it will occasionally log my off on the iBook, so I know it's at least attempting to connect, but it just sits there for about a minute and gives me a 81000306 error.

/sigh

q

Start Messenger.

On the Tools menu, click Options.

Under Connection, click Advanced Settings.

Delete the entries under SOCKS.

Click OK, and then click OK again.

next clear the DNS resolver cache

On the taskbar, click Start, and then click Run.

Type cmd, and then click OK.

At the command prompt, type ipconfig/flushdns, and then press ENTER.

also try loggin into web live messenger via ie7 and see if u can log in..

and this may help:

http://www.mybilgisayar.net/Live-News-82-s...live-messenger/

i would guess it would be the same steps in vista.

Ok that has made no difference whatsoever.

MSN still gives the same error. If you view the status window in Trillian it just says "creating connection qbie@qbie.com" and just sits there.

WTF? I wonder if I have a PCI NIC around here I can use to test....

q

Can you access any POP email accounts in Windows Mail? or say an FTP server in Flash FXP?

In one of the beta builds of Vista it had some dodgey network drivers for my network card, i could access the web in IE fine but anything else like MSN, Trillian, Windows Mail, Flash FXP would not work.... i fixed it by installing the windows xp drivers for my network card, i think you could be having a smilar problem to what i had.

Try some diffrent network card drivers or a diffrent network card if you can.

Can you access any POP email accounts in Windows Mail? or say an FTP server in Flash FXP?

In one of the beta builds of Vista it had some dodgey network drivers for my network card, i could access the web in IE fine but anything else like MSN, Trillian, Windows Mail, Flash FXP would not work.... i fixed it by installing the windows xp drivers for my network card, i think you could be having a smilar problem to what i had.

Try some diffrent network card drivers or a diffrent network card if you can.

Just tried the XP Drivers, no luck. Also tried setting my PC in the DMZ on my router, nothing there either. I thought I had a spare 10/100 card around here somewhere but I can't lay my hands on it at the moment, I have been looking. If I find it I'll try it. This Mobo I'm using now (DFI CFX3200-DR) has 2 ports on it, but they're both Marvell Yukon cards so I can't really rule anything out, I've tried both with no success.

I can access other things online, just it seems not MSN and ICQ/AIM. I do have a Yahoo! account and Trillian manages to connect to that with no issues. Just for kicks I tried to connect to my web space with Filezilla, and that worked ok.

I've also been playing WoW all day with no issues (and got to within 2 bars of level 65..)

I swear this is driving me nuts.

:no:

q

My network card that did this was also a Marvell Yukon, i think if you try a diffrent network card you might have some luck.

I couldnt do anything but browse the web though, couldnt activate windows, use windows update and so on.

• 5 months later...

You wouldn't believe how many hours I have been struggling with this problem!

And then I stumble across this! Incredible. I don't even have a clue what I just did, but it worked. Thanks a bunch for this:

command prompt administrator and all work :-)

hiya i rele need some help,

my mum got me a windows vista home basic laptop

in installed windows live messenger and couldnt sign in, i then came accros this so i tried the code for the prompt command

instead of it woking it said

set global commant failed on IPv4 The request operation requires evaluation

can anybody help me with this please

Hey all, Yeah i have exactly the same problem as the guy who posted b4 me, i type tht in where it is meant to go and set global command failed on IPv4 The request operation requires evaluation appears. Some 1 please help, i really do hate using ebuddy.com >.< !!

Thanks,

Museaddict xxx