Vista Aero not working

Hey everyone i installed windows vista home premium on my pc yesturday and it works fine all the features are there except aero lol i know its a small thing but thats why its bugging me :p. I have installed the latest drives for my graphics card ( ATI Radeon X800 ) and i have tried making new users and changing the apperance settings to windows aero but its not there sometimes it has came up as a selection but usually it looks like this (click link) i haven't installed any extra themes and i clean installed vista so i don't think it was anything that was there before affecting it it is a genuine copy of windows vista home premium and aero should start up automaticly which it does for about 2 seconds and then goes out the ony thing that loads up at start up is the ATI CCC and i have installed the new updates for vista. So they are all the options i have tried if anyone can give me a solution i would be more than grateful thankyou!

My Pc Spec

Memory (ram):1023

System type: 32-bit Operating System

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2.00GHz

if you want any more informtation or screenshots just ask first post on neowin :)

Erik

post-201872-1170605530.jpg

press the win key and r and type "winsat aurora", let this run for 30 seconds or so, log off and then back on again and with a bit of luck you will have aero. This worked for me with my unsupported FX5200.

Try re-running the Windows Experience Index tool (type: "winsat aurora" (without the quotes) in the Run dialog box).

See if that helps.

beat me to it :rolleyes:

hey thanks for the quick reply but it didn't work i let it go on for about a minute then logged of and on and no option for aero :( although it still comes on for about 2 seconds lol

You say you let it go-on for about a minute, did you let it finish? After it has finished, you should do a full reboot. If that doesn't work, maybe you could try uninstalling and re-installing your video drivers...

You say you let it go-on for about a minute, did you let it finish? After it has finished, you should do a full reboot. If that doesn't work, maybe you could try uninstalling and re-installing your video drivers...

ok i will try that now (letting it finish)

I had exactly the same issue with an x1100 on a machine at work that we are testing - I personally think it's the ATI drivers.

I had exactly the same issue with an x1100 on a machine at work that we are testing - I personally think it's the ATI drivers.

The same issue was happening with the default drivers for the card (glass would come on, then turn off after about 10secs) we tried installing the ATI drivers to fix it, but no luck

Another option, though you may not like it, is using a video driver other than the one meant for your card, but which is very similar. I cannot name one with certainty, but do some digging, and you may find something. Oh, and make sure you have the newest drivers from ATI, they released them on Jan 30th I think, or something like that.

Oh, and make sure you have the newest drivers from ATI, they released them on Jan 30th I think, or something like that.

Downloaded from ATI yesterday, so they ought to be. What I find weird, is that it comes on in the first place, then switches off.

Try this:

1. Change the resolution to Min (800x600) or lower if possible.

2. Run Winsat

3. Open a Cmd Shell as admin

4. type "net stop uxsms"

5. type "net start uxsms"

6. Aero should be back. Change back your resolution. If after changing back you again fall back to basic theme, try a different graphics driver.

You can try to editing the registry with this I found on how to enable aero and flip 3d in RC1.

So this odd finding quickly led me to think that perhaps there is a registry setting that is responsible for this. To my surprise, this was partially the case. What does this mean? Well, you can actually "hack" the registry to enable Aero and Flip 3D...

Open your registry and browse to the following:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\Composition

Set this to 1.

The browse to

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\CompositionPolicy

Set this to 2.

Unless you reboot, you'll have to take one more step and restart DWM by opening the command prompt and type the following:

'net stop uxsms'

'net start uxsms'

There you have it! Easy but a real pain to figure out, considering I was coming from VISTA RC1. This should help many having trouble enabling these features in what is the final release till it hits stores in January! Enjoy!

ExtremeMhz.com

Try this:

1. Change the resolution to Min (800x600) or lower if possible.

2. Run Winsat

3. Open a Cmd Shell as admin

4. type "net stop uxsms"

5. type "net start uxsms"

6. Aero should be back. Change back your resolution. If after changing back you again fall back to basic theme, try a different graphics driver.

hey thanx i will try that now :)

You can try to editing the registry with this I found on how to enable aero and flip 3d in RC1.

ExtremeMhz.com

Yep that is correct. Step 1 and 2 i mentioned in my previous post would set the dwmcomposition policy to 1 by not having to access the registry directly.

nope didn't work i ran the cmd shell as administrator and typed them in nd it sed sucesful for both but no change :( i will try windows vista user's idea

nope didn't work i ran the cmd shell as administrator and typed them in nd it sed sucesful for both but no change :( i will try windows vista user's idea

Yes do try settting the registry directly and then restarting dwm.Sometime that is the last resort. BTW what is the winsat score of your graphics performance? A score of 2 or above should normally give you aero.

ExtremeMhz.com

hey i went into the registry but those values were already 1 for composition and 2 for composition poilicy :p damm

Yes do try settting the registry directly and then restarting dwm.Sometime that is the last resort. BTW what is the winsat score of your graphics performance? A score of 2 or above should normally give you aero.

i think its fine

post-201872-1170609669_thumb.jpg

Seriously i am running out of ideas :pinch: Your config seems pretty good and i am not sure what is causing Aero to fail. I would suggest going through your event logs if they show up some errors. Also go to MSDN forums and there someone can help there.

You should refresh the Windows Experience and give us an updated score.

i updated my score it asses my performance including aero lol and here are the results...

post-201872-1170610164_thumb.jpg

The other reason for no aero are (but highly unlikely)

Not running with 32 bits per pixel color (you can easily fix this in your Display Settings, then logoff/logon).

Monitor frequency too low. Are you using KVM switch?