Vista Re-Activation after driver update!

Ok so the story is i activated vista after installing it and today i updated my motherboard drivers

an hour later a notification appeared telling me i had changed some hardware and I had 3 days to activate Vista.

*WTF, all i did was update drivers so is this going to happen every time i update some frigin drivers! :angry:*

Anyway i ring Microsoft to activate and enter the activation number which the automated system refers to as "XP Activation" :rofl:

(guess they haven't updated the phone activation system yet)

Then i had to answer a bunch of automated questions like,

is this your 1st activation, did you change hardware, did you get vista with you PC, is it really legal, are you telling the truth :p

next i got transferred to a real person (not one of them silly fake automated people) just to be asked the same questions i again!

Finally i had vista re-activated :woot:

Just hope this doesn't happen regularly, i have only had vista four days and i already have had to jump through Microsoft's activation hoops!

Do Microsoft really think its I good idea to annoy there customers? :angry:

yeah, new os big problems ... then agian, i am reluctant to jump to vista since it is not offering anything new (or my hopes/standards) are too high

Wtf :blink: is that the standard reply you put in every vista thread!

Ontopic:

Were they WHQL'ed drivers? It shouldn't really do that unless you change your motherboard :s

Well, without drivers installed Windows thinks of some hardware as generic hardware, and with the actual drivers installed it looks different. It's like this in XP as well.

You should only activate when you have all drivers installed and your system has been running fine for some days already - that's why you have?the?30?days?before?you?need?to?activate?(which?can?be?extended?to?120?days?should?you?need?it).

Well , since you're legal what's your big worry .. you can call them .. your can activate .. :whistle:

Thats not the point... having to reactivate the entire operating system everytime you do a minor driver update on the same computer with no physical changes is the point... I'd consider that pretty annoying... especially considering you have to repeat a 40 mile long number to them when activating... and then get a crapload of number back to type in... all for a driver update.

Strange... the other day i had my computer start up and i had to install every driver again :s. Fortuantely vista didn't need reactivating. not sure if its connected...

I had the exact same issue, I also ringed windows activation line, also had the same kind of questions, and also my windows got reactivated by a woman on the other end of the line. It appeared to happen right after installing new HDD drivers. Just hope it's not going to happen on a regular basis :s

Ok so the story is i activated vista after installing it and today i updated my motherboard drivers

an hour later a notification appeared telling me i had changed some hardware and I had 3 days to activate Vista.

*WTF, all i did was update drivers so is this going to happen every time i update some frigin drivers! :angry:*

Anyway i ring Microsoft to activate and enter the activation number which the automated system refers to as "XP Activation" :rofl:

(guess they haven't updated the phone activation system yet)

Then i had to answer a bunch of automated questions like,

is this your 1st activation, did you change hardware, did you get vista with you PC, is it really legal, are you telling the truth :p

next i got transferred to a real person (not one of them silly fake automated people) just to be asked the same questions i again!

Finally i had vista re-activated :woot:

Just hope this doesn't happen regularly, i have only had vista four days and i already have had to jump through Microsoft's activation hoops!

Do Microsoft really think its I good idea to annoy there customers? :angry:

I`m surprised that it doesn't ask you if you were now, or ever been, a member of the communist party... :|

I know your problem. I got the same thing when I just installed a virtual CD-ROM drive on my XP and it told me that I had to call to activate since apparently I had somehow used up all of my activations. The automated service didn`t work so I had to call India to get permission to continue using my system.`After that I used Anti-WPA to bypass it even though I have a legit copy. I`m using a Vista Home Basic now that I had bought.

I had something happen today which is even stranger. I was using my PC on which I installed Vista 4 days ago, I had checked that Vista should activate automatically during setup. Today I had put my PC to sleep and later when I woke it up there was a pop up message in the taskbar that Windows needed to be activated. I checked it and then got a message that activation was successful. I didn't install any drivers or anything, all I did was put the PC to sleep.

Were they WHQL'ed drivers? It shouldn't really do that unless you change your motherboard :s

I've updated the VIA chipset drivers yesterday and didn't have to re-activate Vista, everything went fine. However, this story reminded me of an incident I had with XP. I remember de-installing old ATI Radeon drivers in order to install the newer Omega ones. Before I did that, I rebooted the machine and got welcomed by that nasty activation screen.

Strange this annoyance seems to continue with Vista...

Jan

Well , since you're legal what's your big worry .. you can call them .. your can activate .. :whistle:

yes because most people have nothing better to do than call MS :rolleyes:

yes because most people have nothing better to do than call MS :rolleyes:

Yeah, and beg to upgrade the hardware on their systems. That always makes everyone feel like a responsible human being.... :|

And it wont use up one of your activations, so why the **** do you come on here and make it seem like its the end of the world.

True it wont use up my activations but ->

Thats not the point... having to reactivate the entire operating system everytime you do a minor driver update on the same computer with no physical changes is the point... I'd consider that pretty annoying... especially considering you have to repeat a 40 mile long number to them when activating... and then get a crapload of number back to type in... all for a driver update.

Also I don't think i made it sound like that end of the world,

I was just venting/sharing and wanted to see if anyone else experienced the same thing!

To the original poster. is your windows OEM or retail?

Its an OEM version!

Internet activation will work.

Also you do know that hardware manufacturers like to lock stuff using drivers yeh? So if they release a driver that unlocks some stuff obviously windows will think its a new piece of hardware.

So before jumping on teh bandwagon and blaming MS...do a tad bit of research first.

Nothing like having to get Microsoft India's permission to use your own system. Its not a quick painless process You have to enter 40 digits then answer a bunch of questions designed to prove you are a thief. Then you get transferred and have to do it again. Then if you are really lucky you get to tell the rep your product key. Oh the joys of southern dialect to indian. After 10 minutes of that you should finally get a return key to actually activate. And all of this because you upgraded mobo drivers? I must be missing something here because I dont see the progress MS claims to have made. At this rate they may be making a run for the anti-consumer crown that sony currently owns.