warning about Vista's disk cleanup

why would you want to clean a non system disk in the first place? I agree disk cleanup is doing something wrong here, but what did you expect to happen when you run it on a disk only filled with downloads?

i didnt expect it to find lots of temporary files or anything, but i certainly didnt expect it to clean almost my entire drive either.

maybe you should get youself a good drive and not some faulty piece of crap maxtor drive. Get a seagate drive!

Leave everything on default and dont install aftermarket 3rd party crap - its your own fault - learn from it.

maybe you should get youself a good drive and not some faulty piece of crap maxtor drive. Get a seagate drive!

Leave everything on default and dont install aftermarket 3rd party crap - its your own fault - learn from it.

wow nothing is wrong with maxtor drives, seagate bought them for a reason...

Remember to not feed the trolls folks.

Back on topic. I haven't seen this yet, but I'll keep an eye out for it in the future.

Scary if this is a bug. I just checked in on mine and it looks like my system is fine, although It's reporting 3.00gb of "Files Discarded by Windows Upgrade". I originally did an upgrade, and then deleted and did a new install. I moved the program files and windows directory myself before doing the new installation, so I don't know where it's pulling these files from.

You took a screenshot of the window, which means you knew Disk Cleanup was not seeing the files on the disk correctly; Yet you allowed it to clean the disk anyway? Without a backup?

@Aero Ultimate - i would have removed Disk Cleanup if vLite could. maybe the next version or the one after will let me do so.

@mfinn999 - i took the screenshots from a newer installation; this incident happened earlier.

i know it was stupidity on my part to have run disk cleanup, but like nevets said, i could have gotten 120gb free!

Edited by anonymous_user

@Aero Ultimate - i would have removed Disk Cleanup if vLite could. maybe the next version or the one after will let me do so.

@mfinn999 - i took the screenshots from a newer installation; this incident happened earlier.

i know it was stupidity on my part to have run disk cleanup, but like nevets said, i could have gotten 120gb free!

Why are you unable to accept the fact that vLite may have caused this screw-up? I've seen nLite hose many a XP system, mine included.

The more stuff you remove via vLite, the harder troubleshooting these kinds of errors becomes - and for what? Saving a couple hundred megs of disk space on a 250 GB drive?

Yeah, if there is any remote possibility that disc cleanup would erase the harddrive then the message boards should be lit the hell up.

Also, if I bought a new car and it had as many holes as ANY release of Windows has had then I would be under the hood before I got out of the car lot.

I ran Vista?s Disk Clean up while I was in a hurry to leave home one evening. Got back and I didn?t have any programs listed on my start menu. Reboot and Windows couldn?t repair the problem or boot into Windows. My fault for not looking before doing the disk cleanup but this was a clean install. I didn?t have any third party performance utilities installed or other tweaking software installed.

• 2 weeks later...

To all the people making fun of the original poster, etc, etc.. You types don't have any business replying in such a derogatory manner if you haven't investigated the issue yourself.

Now, I too had this problem. Unfortunately I didn't look hard enough and thought it said 98MB instead of 98GB as I quickly checked all the boxes and hit OK. So, a minute later I had a wiped Vista install, only the core was working, nothing left for program files or anything. Note: I had only a stock home premium install, no cleaners, no special installs, just a factory install of vista. Again, FACTORY install on a toshiba notebook, and using disk cleaner wiped most of my install. I would say it a third or fourth time but surely you get the point by now.

So, since this happened just last night, today I just wiped the drive and reinstalled vista. Sure enough, with a clean install that I finished about 30 minutes ago, if I go to Disk Cleaner right now and look, it says something like 68GB... This time I'm not checking that box :)

This is obviously a Vista bug. It is, after all, only a couple months since release..

Disk cleanup did exactly the same for me on my windows disk on a fresh install untweaked in any way... everything was lost. my progam files folder was empty and no shortcuts in start menu...

was pretty unhappy with the result and had to do a reinstall.

Yep,

Just came across the very same thing on a friends computer.

Definitely thinking of NOT getting Vista anytime soon. Like I was to begin with!!

To all the people making fun of the original poster, etc, etc.. You types don't have any business replying in such a derogatory manner if you haven't investigated the issue yourself.

Now, I too had this problem. Unfortunately I didn't look hard enough and thought it said 98MB instead of 98GB as I quickly checked all the boxes and hit OK. So, a minute later I had a wiped Vista install, only the core was working, nothing left for program files or anything. Note: I had only a stock home premium install, no cleaners, no special installs, just a factory install of vista. Again, FACTORY install on a toshiba notebook, and using disk cleaner wiped most of my install. I would say it a third or fourth time but surely you get the point by now.

So, since this happened just last night, today I just wiped the drive and reinstalled vista. Sure enough, with a clean install that I finished about 30 minutes ago, if I go to Disk Cleaner right now and look, it says something like 68GB... This time I'm not checking that box :)

This is obviously a Vista bug. It is, after all, only a couple months since release..

What model Toshiba?

I'm calling foul on this whole thread- the dialog boxes posted on the first post's screen shots are not the default Vista size (the cleanmgr dialog is a couple of pixels short, the disk properties dialog is missing more than a few lines of blank space under the "Index this drive for faster searching"). I checked it against three of my computers running Vista and all of the dialog boxes were the same size.

And if you look real close, you'll see black pixels on the corner of each dialog box. This isn't abnormal, per se, particularly if the user had a black desktop. But, the shadows around the dialog boxes extend around the black pixels instead of overlaying them as one would expect. It looks like the dialogs were cropped and edited and the shadow was added around the image- around the black pixels instead of over them.

Edited by tao muon

• 4 weeks later...

No Foul

Here is a Screen Shot from my Toshiba P105 laptop with a fresh install of Vista Ultimate, i.e. no Tweaks...

The hardrive is 100GB with a 60GB C: partition.

post-207914-1176493556.jpg