Hockey fans: recommendation for first game?

I've never followed hockey too closely, but I'm considering checking out a Capitals game this season, and was wondering, what would be a good home game to check out? Obviously some match ups are more exciting than others when it comes to sports (long standing rivalries and such). Do the Caps have any rival teams that would be worth seeing?

at this point, the caps are pretty much out the playoffs. there's still a bit of hockey left, but the caps just don't got what it takes to catch up. that said, if you have a chance to see ovechkin play, you should go for it.

as i'm sure the caps still think they have a chance to make the playoffs if they could only get their act together, i would look for them to be especially competitive in games against teams in their division and teams close to their record. so, look for a game against florida, boston or the ny rangers to probably be high-spirited. carolina and ottowa are two good teams to watch also.

no matter what, git yer ass out there and check out the best sport on the planet!

Hmmm... It looks like the Caps play a lot of games on the road from now to the end of the season. I think the Flyers would be a good draw. Close in proximity, decent rivalry. I see San Jose is coming to town on the 21st. I don't think that would be a good game for the Caps, but SJ is a good team especially on the road. I just like watching the Sharks game. Mar 27 the Penguins are in town. That's a definite game to see. Crosby vs Ovechkin. Thursday Mar 1st & 3rd the Lightning are in town. Whenever those two teams play, it's always a high scoring affair.

San Jose Sharks (Feb 21): A very good team to watch, but I doubt the Caps would play well against them

Pittsburgh Penguins (Mar 27): A must see. Crosby vs Ovechkin. The 2 top scorers in the NHL. Get your tickets for this one FAST.

Tampa Bay Lightning (Mar 1 & 3): TB is doing good, but for some reason whenever they play the Caps, it's a high scoring affair. Also, TB is playing 2 games in a row in Washington (Thurs-Mar 1 & Sat-Mar3). I'd go to the Saturday game as they might be more worn out by the 2nd game being on the road.

Here is the schedule: http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&am...season=20062007

PS do not watch a Devils game. It will bore you to death. They play a heavy defensive game and score few goals and manage to win games.

bayrider already jumped on it but the Pens would be a good match. You already have Ovechkin, which most other teams' fans want to see, so adding Crosby, Staal and Fleury would complete the young stars package quite well.