Last FIFA World Ranking

The FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking has a new leader: Italy. Following a successful year for the 2006 FIFA World Cup? winners, Italy have managed to topple Brazil and reclaim the top spot for the first time since November 1993, ending Brazil's remarkable 55-month run at the top of the leader board. For their part, the South Americans recently suffered a 0-2 friendly defeat to Portugal, currently ranked eighth.

[... continue...]

Source: http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/ind...rticleid=131847

Oooh yeeeah!

haha, after all that time?

italy hasnt even played a game in several months. dont tell me this happened because brazil lost friendly to portugal. they lost early in the WC but that wasnt enough to lose them 1st spot.

haha, after all that time?

italy hasnt even played a game in several months. dont tell me this happened because brazil lost friendly to portugal. they lost early in the WC but that wasnt enough to lose them 1st spot.

That is why, probably a results of the new way the positions are calculated etc.

Following a successful year for the 2006 FIFA World Cup™ winners, Italy have managed to topple Brazil and reclaim the top spot for the first time since November 1993, ending Brazil's remarkable 55-month run at the top of the leader board. For their part, the South Americans recently suffered a 0-2 friendly defeat to Portugal, currently ranked eighth.
Edited by Brodel

That is why, probably a results of the new way the positions are calculated etc.

its not a massive difference compared to before

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/ran...,2540,3,00.html

i followed it a long time. and it somehow never made sense.

in the past several months italy has 7 points from 4 games. those are qualifying games for Euro2008, which are definitely more important than a friendly game in the way ranks are calculated

No way are Italy the best in the world, maybe the best for hoogalism. No offense to anyone, I just do not rate them as a team, I mean they won the World Cup so fair play to them for that, but anyone who watched the World Cup knows the best team did not win.

USA has fallen pretty far from their pre-World Cup ranking...wooo.

May 2006 - #5

July 2006 - #16

August 2006 - #23

September 2006 - #29

October 2006 - #29

November 2006 - #31

December 2006 - #31

January 2006 - #31

February 2006 - #28

At least they are on their way back up...

No way are Italy the best in the world, maybe the best for hoogalism. No offense to anyone, I just do not rate them as a team, I mean they won the World Cup so fair play to them for that, but anyone who watched the World Cup knows the best team did not win.

You sound a little sour about the whole thing... cant rate them as a team? The whole world watched the WC. How can you say any of the World/Euro Cup winners were the best team then? How do you rate a team ?

I guess I should use the same logic as Champions Leauge 2004/2005. Clearly Liverpool were lucky to get as far as they did, and anyone who watched the CL final knows the best team did not win. Besides those 6 minutes of horror for Milan, they were the best & dominant team.

Yeah I agree. Brazil should still be on top but their lead margin at the top should be massively cut.

Thats what I think should have happened.

I love Brazil as a team and watching them play, but why should they be on top? Because you think so? Because they are Brazil?

Looking at Brazil's poor form in the last year or so, I agree that they are not the best team in the world currently, although I doubt even more that Italy are.

As an Englishman, I would say that #6 is far too high for us (0-1 Spain :( ) and that Portugal are far too low (2-0 Brazil).

Looking at the table as a whole, I wouldn't put much faith in it. Romania #15?

You sound a little sour about the whole thing... cant rate them as a team? The whole world watched the WC. How can you say any of the World/Euro Cup winners were the best team then? How do you rate a team ?

I guess I should use the same logic as Champions Leauge 2004/2005. Clearly Liverpool were lucky to get as far as they did, and anyone who watched the CL final knows the best team did not win. Besides those 6 minutes of horror for Milan, they were the best & dominant team.

I love Brazil as a team and watching them play, but why should they be on top? Because you think so? Because they are Brazil?

I have to agree with you there. Though Italy wasn't as entertaining as Germany or Portugal, they were the most consistent, conceding only one goal throughout the whole tournament. As for how do you rate the team, the FIFA index is flawed at best so I wouldn't take much stock into how the teams are positioned. Brazil are a bit of an enigma considering they now have Dunga as their manager so I'll wait and see how that goes.

As for the Champions League 2004/2005 final, that's football and though AC Milan could have won it, Liverpool had more heart so fair play to them.

Scirwode

I have to agree with you there. Though Italy wasn't as entertaining as Germany or Portugal, they were the most consistent, conceding only one goal throughout the whole tournament. As for how do you rate the team, the FIFA index is flawed at best so I wouldn't take much stock into how the teams are positioned. Brazil are a bit of an enigma considering they now have Dunga as their manager so I'll wait and see how that goes.

As for the Champions League 2004/2005 final, that's football and though AC Milan could have won it, Liverpool had more heart so fair play to them.

Scirwode

your right. any kind of loss is tough. that one in may2005 for milan was just about as bad as WC94 for me. but you have to accept it. at the end of the day, liverpool came back with 3 goals, and held out to the end. they fairly won the CL, and you cant take it away.

the Fifa ranking (old and new) systems sound like they should make sense, but I guess its just misleading. its a system where you get points for wins,ties,losses, and depends on teams you play, with 4 years of history. i guess the stats are just weird the way they are.

your right. any kind of loss is tough. that one in may2005 for milan was just about as bad as WC94 for me. but you have to accept it. at the end of the day, liverpool came back with 3 goals, and held out to the end. they fairly won the CL, and you cant take it away.

the Fifa ranking (old and new) systems sound like they should make sense, but I guess its just misleading. its a system where you get points for wins,ties,losses, and depends on teams you play, with 4 years of history. i guess the stats are just weird the way they are.

There's a better system out there that ranks the teams, but I can't remember its name. The current version that FIFA is using is a bit one sided as they put emphasis on qualifying matches, which not every continent is doing at the same time.

Scirwode

No, do not get me wrong, I think Italy are a good team, I just would not rate them as the number one team in the World. Personally, I think Argentina, France, Germany are better teams, both in terms of the quality of football they play and also judging on results. Argentina where the "best" team at the World Cup, they where just unlucky not to win it. The best team does not always win everything though, which is good because otherwise it would be boring :p. England are pretty crap at the moment, I mean they have a lot of good players, they just do not seem to have the right manager :/.

As for Liverpool winning the Champions League in 2005, any team that gets past Deportivo, Olympiakos, Monaco, Bayer Leverkusen, Juventus, Chelsea and AC Milan deserves to win the Champions League. It was certainly the most amazing night in my life. Magical.

No, do not get me wrong, I think Italy are a good team, I just would not rate them as the number one team in the World. Personally, I think Argentina, France, Germany are better teams, both in terms of the quality of football they play and also judging on results.

Argentina, France... meybe... maybe not... Germany absolutely not. The match Italy - Germany (2 - 0) this summer has been dominated by Italy.

LOL

How we can be SECOND after win FIVE WORLD CUPS?

You probley played weaker sides in the bulidup so you didn't get as many points as you would compared to a european team.

I'm just guessing :p

• 2 weeks later...

Updated...

Scotland have risen four places to 16th in the latest Fifa world rankings.

Former Scotland boss Walter Smith transformed the side's fortunes, seeing them rise from 88th two years ago and 62nd a year ago.

England remain sixth, with Northern Ireland in 47th place and the Republic of Ireland 51st. Wales are 77th.

Argentina took over at the top of the rankings from world champions Italy, who fell to second, with Brazil third, France fourth and Germany fifth.

Scotland rose in the rankings despite not playing since October.

Points gained over the course of a year are included in full.

However, results from any preceding 12 months count only for 50%, with that figure decreasing to 30% for a third year and then 20% for a fourth year.

Scotland boss Alex McLeish has announced his 26-man squad for group leaders Scotland's next Euro 2008 qualifiers against Georgia and world champions Italy.

Fifa world rankings:

1 Argentina

2 Italy

3 Brazil

4 France

5 Germany

6 England

7 Holland

8 Portugal

9 Czech Republic

10 Spain

Selected others: