PlayStation 3 is "most pre-ordered console yet", says Play.c

PlayStation 3 is "most pre-ordered console yet", says Play.com

Ellie Gibson 16:00 (GMT) 15/02/2007

Retailers reporting "overwhelming demand" - Sony

Online retailer Play.com is taking six times more pre-orders than it received for PlayStation 3 than Xbox 360 - and 15 times more than the Nintendo Wii.

That's according to head of games Gian Luzio, who told GamesIndustry.biz that PS3 is "the most pre-ordered console yet" for Play. The retailer is offering a GBP 524.99 bundle which includes first-party titles MotorStorm, Resistance: Fall of Man and Genji.

Play also ran pre-order schemes for the Wii and Xbox 360, but some customers were left disappointed when they failed to receive their consoles on day one.

"We underestimated the demand and we were very disappointed that we could not fulfil all pre-orders due to stock shortages," admitted Luzio.

However, Play has pledged to deliver all pre-ordered PS3 units on launch day, with Luzio stating, "We have taken the necessary steps to ensure that customers will only be able to pre-order the system up until Play's allocation has been reached.

"We will always want more consoles to satisfy customer demand, however, we are satisfied that Sony are doing all they can to fulfil demand," he added.

Luzio went on to say that the inclusion of a Blu-ray player in the PlayStation 3 will have a "massive impact" on the retailer's business.

"Figures from the US show that Blu-ray movie sales are outselling HD-DVD by a factor of 2:1 since the launch of PS3 and we have similar sales expectations.

"In addition to the games and movie growth we expect to see a large increase in the sales of 1080p TVs to make full use of the PS3's superior resolution," he concluded.

It's not just Play which is seeing healthy pre-orders for PS3, according to Sony. A spokesperson told GI.biz, "With an unprecedented day one shipment of 1 million machines into Europe and a software catalogue of over 30 titles available at launch, retailer feedback has been overwhelmingly positive.

"Woolworths, Amazon and Play, to name a few, are reporting record breaking pre-orders and an overwhelming demand for PS3."

The PlayStation 3 will launch in Europe on March 23, priced at GBP 425 / EUR 599 for the 60GB model.

Source: GamesIndustry.biz

yay for Sony! finally some good news... :laugh: :rofl: :p

i can't believe that the PS3 has 15x more pre-orders than the wii which is still sold out... sure, the PS3 might be doing well with pre-orders, but those figures seem too high to be true. it can't be people wanting a blu-ray player either, as HD is only just starting over here...

It does sound a little bogus, who knows though, good for Sony if its true. I'll be happy with the 360 has its face in the dirt and the PS3 and Wii are at the top. However I didn't expect the Wii to do as good as it is, I expected the 360 to beat it but now I'm thinking I may have been wrong, but I still think the PS3 will outsell the 360.

I pre-ordered mine today from Amazon. Just the console though, not interested in bundles. This would be my first ever gaming console. :o

its expected especially for the UK could say most people are a bit biosed but things here... especially people i know, still fighting over 360 and ps3 comparissons - childish, personally i would go for 360 because its price over performance for me, with the extra bonus of decent performance from the 360 - though im waiting for the next version with the hdmi connection.

If the amount of Ps3's were made available for the demand then the amount sold would have been greater then the wii.

15 times more than the wii? I don't see how. Play and amazon had a shed load of stock for the wii and yet they both ran out preorders very quickly, I don't see how they could have more ps3's in stock than they had wii's, given that few PS3's are coming to the UK

If the amount of Ps3's were made available for the demand then the amount sold would have been greater then the wii.

Problem with that logic is that PS3 supply is easily meeting the demand. There are stockpiles of them in stores.

15 times more than the wii? I don't see how. Play and amazon had a shed load of stock for the wii and yet they both ran out preorders very quickly, I don't see how they could have more ps3's in stock than they had wii's, given that few PS3's are coming to the UK

still can't get wii's for love nor money here in UK, I reckon you'll be able to walk into a store and buy a ps3 without pre-order on or v. soon after launch day

Hasn't everything that guy said already been debunked?

Such as

Blu-ray disks selling 2:1 over HDDVD. Giving away free movies != selling them.

Note that this article comments on the European / UK launch of PS3, not the US situation. The console itself looks to be launched in late March, for EU. PS3s are easy to get their hands on at this point in the U.S.

Wii launch Europe, there will be plenty arround for launchday. So europeans don't worry. And we didn't. result: no pre-orders. (mayhem in stores and still no stock anywhere 3 months later...)

PS3 launch Europe, there will be plenty arround for launchday. So europeans don't worry. Yeah right!!!. result: A LOT of pre-orders...

(We europeans are only human, you know...)

I read a conflicting report on Kotaku not too long ago...

At a local games shop there's a notice suggesting people pre-order their PS3 before March 29, when.. you know.

So how's business, I asked the bloke behind the counter? What sort of interest is there in the PS3 compared to the Xbox 360 and Wii?

Very low, he replied: with, what, six weeks to go before the launch, half their pre-allocation had not been taken up. (Of course you could go glass-half-full and say half had been.) That compared to pretty much all taken up for the Xbox 360 a year ago, and huge over-demand for the Wii before last Christmas.

So what sort of ratio of demand was there between the PS3, Wii and Xbox 360? Demand for the Wii was more than 10x greater than for the PS3, he said, and had been about 5x that of the Xbox. And he personally didn't think any of the PS3 launch games were worth the bother. "Sony has been promising this for two years and people have just got bored with it," he suggested.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/uk-ps3-preord...-not-236193.php

Who the hell is going to spend ?524.99 on a console. I'm a sony fan boy but that price is to much!

people with money, like me.

not everyone from the UK is tight as a ducks arse you know. :whistle::

the only way to get a PS3 is to pre-order one.. no one is taking Wii or Xbox360 pre-orders. Even when xbox360 was first released, only 2 batches at my local EB were taking pre-orders, after that it's up for grabs.. first come first serve