[NFL] Bears won't renew Ron Rivera's contract

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6485778

Bears head coach Lovie Smith is making long-term plans for the future of the team and one of the plans could surprise many Bears fans.

FOXSports.com has learned that Chicago has decided to not renew the contract of defensive coordinator Ron Rivera. Team sources say that Smith and Rivera met recently and agreed to allow Rivera to pursue other opportunities. The sources also contend that Smith will likely end up promoting Bob Babich from linebackers coach to defensive coordinator.

This is interesting to me, especially with the success the Bears D had this season. If anything, work on that offense, because that's what lost them the Super Bowl.

This is interesting to me, especially with the success the Bears D had this season. If anything, work on that offense, because that's what lost them the Super Bowl.

You do realize that their offense finished ahead of their defense (second scoring offense to third overall defense), correct?

using scoring to judge is extremely silly because a lot of the points were generated by their defense and special teams.

The defense collapsed down the stretch without Tommie Harris, but it was still the 2nd best defense in the NFL. The offense? 18th.

Their OFFENSIVE scoring ranked second.

So? Scoring is a poor way to rank it. How about all the times that the defense or special teams set the team up in field goal range? By the way, you seem to be counting special teams points for the offense. That's not how it works.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com might give you a better idea. :)

So? Scoring is a poor way to rank it. How about all the times that the defense or special teams set the team up in field goal range? By the way, you seem to be counting special teams points for the offense. That's not how it works.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com might give you a better idea. :)

If you're going to be that asinine about it, you could make the exact same argument for total yardage -- that the defense gives the offense more opportunities to rack up yards.

How about all the times the defense makes a stop and sets up the quarterback for a long drive?

:rolleyes:

And no, I am not counting special teams for the offense. Your link doesn't even mention yardage from what I can see, so I fail to see how this proves your point. Furthermore, I see offensive scoring rank nowhere on that site. I am not including special teams.

If you think Rivera had a damn bit of difference on the Bears' defense then you're a fool. Everyone knows that's Lovie's baby. Hell, Norv Turner only offered Rivera the defensive line coach job at San Diego if I remember my news correctly, which he accepted... guess he wasn't good enough for the defensive coordinator there, eh?

If you're going to be that asinine about it, you could make the exact same argument for total yardage -- that the defense gives the offense more opportunities to rack up yards.

How about all the times the defense makes a stop and sets up the quarterback for a long drive?

:rolleyes:

And no, I am not counting special teams for the offense. Your link doesn't even mention yardage from what I can see, so I fail to see how this proves your point. Furthermore, I see offensive scoring rank nowhere on that site. I am not including special teams.

If you think Rivera had a damn bit of difference on the Bears' defense then you're a fool. Everyone knows that's Lovie's baby. Hell, Norv Turner only offered Rivera the defensive line coach job at San Diego if I remember my news correctly, which he accepted... guess he wasn't good enough for the defensive coordinator there, eh?

Did I say Rivera was the cause of the defense's success? I just pointed out that the offense did not rank 2nd in the league.

Actually you can't make that arguement, as the Bears were barely in the top half of the league in total yards. He was right. The defense gave them great field position throughout the year. They also had the best kicker in the league, who accounted for 143 of their 425 points. That's a hell of a productive offense :rolleyes:

Yes, you ARE counting special teams points. As he already said, that's how the NFL counts points.

Funny, because the year before Rivera was hired, their D was in the middle of the pack. They were in the top three both years Rivera was there. Also, considering he was done with Chicago the SAME DAY the Chargers brought him on, I'm pretty sure they already had their D-coord lined up. And finally, the Bears obviously undervalue their coaches, as Rivera's pay was in the middle of the pack compared to the D-coords throughout the league. They seem to be undervaluing Smith as well, since their contract extension talks have broken down. By your logic, it seems they don't feel Smith is good enough for the coaching position there.

And lets keep this discussion mature and the attacks out, mmkay?

Actually you can't make that arguement, as the Bears were barely in the top half of the league in total yards. He was right. The defense gave them great field position throughout the year. They also had the best kicker in the league, who accounted for 143 of their 425 points. That's a hell of a productive offense :rolleyes:

That made me chuckle :D

Chad, if Rivera was so widely regarded, then why did he jump at the chance for a defensive line coach and not a defensive coordinator position? The Chargers had that position open, but obviously they did not feel Rivera warranted the position. The fact that he was paid middle-of-the-pack in Chicago indicates he's a good coach? How does that work out? I fail to see how Chicago paying their coaches poorly makes them all amazing coaches. It doesn't mean they are good coaches.

And if I can't make that argument, then how about the Colts? Their defense did a damn fine job of giving their offense more opportunities on the field for drives -- something Peyton Manning did and chewed up quite a bit of time with. The Bears are not the only team in the NFL, so I don't see how you can only relate what I said to them. What happens when a defense makes a goal-line stop and the offense sets up a scoring drive? That's the point of what I was stating.

The year Smith was hired as head football coach, Rivera was hired as defensive coordinator. So I fail to see how Rivera is the constant, given that the system being used was migrated from Lovie's tenure as defensive coordinator for the Rams.

Furthermore, please do not tell me what I do and do not feel. I never said anything about Smith's coaching abilities, so do not insult my intelligence and imply as much with sarcasm.

Rivera didn't "jump at the chance to be a defensive line coach."

He became the linebackers coach on arguably the most talented team in the NFL. It makes sense for him, as it's a good way for him to learn the 3-4 and the intricacies of the scheme. Who knows, maybe if Norv doesn't work out, Rivera could be an in-house candidate to replace him.

And yes, you did say something about Smith's abilities. You said anyone who thinks Rivera had anything to do with the defense's success is a fool, and that the defense is "Lovie's baby".

Nevermind the fact that anyone who knows football knows that a defense doesn't succeed without at least a competent guy running it. Rivera was the coordinator. Yes, it was Lovie's scheme.

I happen to believe that the primary reason for the early dominance of the defense was the personnel, not Lovie or Rivera. The defense was very inflexible and fairly predictable, but the talent was there. Great defensive line, especially with Harris in the middle. Two great LBs in Urlacher and Briggs. Solid CBs and a great playmaker in Mike Brown (too bad he got injured...again).

Edited by yisman

You have your opinions of why Rivera took the job. I have mine.

And, my fault, I did comment on Smith's abilities. Problem being I commented positively on them, where he obviously implied that I did not feel Smith was a good coach. Read his post and you'd understand my response.

As far as Rivera being competent -- he most definitely is competent. Never said he wasn't. But that doesn't make him a good defensive coordinator, does it? Most coaches in the NFL are fairly "competent" at their jobs, I'd dare say.

I'd have to say I'm not upset to see him go. The defense is more of an autonomous being with someone like Urlacher sitting at LB. He can coordinate the defense on the field without the help of Rivera. Besides, the Super Bowl was lost because the defense let up in the second half, not because of the lackluster performance of the offense (although that certainly helped the losing cause). I knew the Bears would lose when they stopped blitzing and played back on their heels.