[Boxing]Mayweather threatens De la Hoya

_42597533_inyerface416.jpg

Floyd Mayweather stoked the fires ahead of his May super-fight with Oscar de la Hoya by poking and jostling his opponent at a New York press briefing.

The two ring superstars clash at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas on 5 May.

De la Hoya will defend his WBC light middleweight crown against WBC welterweight champion Mayweather.

But as they met to publicise the fight, Mayweather taunted the 'Golden Boy' by insisting: "I'll do what I've done to 37 others and bust his ass."

In a show of typical bravado, both fighters revealed their chiseled torsos to prove their fitness before Mayweather delivered a withering attack on six-weight champion De la Hoya.

Mayweather, who is moving up to 154lbs for the first time, stood nose-to-nose with his opponent, bumping him with his chest and calling him a "######".

De la Hoya, 34, remained calm, insisting he would make Mayweather pay once they got into the ring, with the world's best pound-for-pound fighter tag at stake.

606 DEBATE: Who do you think will win the bout?

"When he's talking, it's just more fuel, baby," De la Hoya said through gritted teeth.

"I respect Floyd as a fighter but come 5 May, he's going to be hurting for weeks."

The hotly-anticipated clash has already sold out for a Nevada-record gate of $19m.

A record 1,200 closed circuit showings are expected for the fight, to be broadcast to 176 countries.

De la Hoya has been trained for the last six years by the challenger's father, Floyd Mayweather Sr, but will have veteran Freddie Roach in his corner for the big fight.

But Mayweather mocked De la Hoya and said he would back up his bravado with hard cash.

He added: "I'll bet you $1m, $2m, $3m I'll beat you. Every dime in my bank account, right now."

This is gonna be an awesome fight!!! :D

Boxing isn't worth watching anymore unless you like predetermined outcomes. Reminds me of wrestling, but without the bookies/bets. It's all fixed garbage.

I'll be skipping this match just as every match since the 1st DeLaHoya vs Trinidad fight.

UFC is where its all at now.

• 3 weeks later...

Diego Corrales was quoted, "What De La Hoya is going to do to Mayweather will be criminal. They will have to arrest him after the fight."

I believe that.

Screw Mayweather, The reason he is doing alot of talking is because he is scared so is trying to break De la hoya down mentally because he can't do it physically.

Screw Mayweather, The reason he is doing alot of talking is because he is scared so is trying to break De la hoya down mentally because he can't do it physically.

That's what I was going to say

Anyone who talks trash like that or throws money around is the real "######"

So looking forward to this fight. When I was younger and did not know any better (early 20's) I hated DeLa Hoya, just because I dismissed him more as a showmen than an actual fighter. He has without a doubt proven me extremely wrong, as I truly believe he has more heart and fight in him than most boxers period. Nevermind him starting Golden Boy Promotions to go against the evil that Don King is. I truly admire him now and believe he has one of, if not the biggest hearts, in boxing ever, and his last few years of fights prove it.

With that said, Floyd is the real deal. No other way to put it.

This is possibly going to be the best fight of this year, so much so that HBO is doing a 4 part series following the two fighters before the fight itself.

Cannot wait.

Boxing isn't worth watching anymore unless you like predetermined outcomes. Reminds me of wrestling, but without the bookies/bets. It's all fixed garbage.

I'll be skipping this match just as every match since the 1st DeLaHoya vs Trinidad fight.

UFC is where its all at now.

while i mostly agree that ufc/pride/k1 heroes/etc are more enjoyable, i like both of these guys enough to want to see how this turns out. floyd is fun to watch just because he's so damned fast and delahoya is great because... well hell... he just keeps going :D

if floyd can't manage to hurt oscar early on, he'd better run. run fast.

while i mostly agree that ufc/pride/k1 heroes/etc are more enjoyable, i like both of these guys enough to want to see how this turns out. floyd is fun to watch just because he's so damned fast and delahoya is great because... well hell... he just keeps going :D

if floyd can't manage to hurt oscar early on, he'd better run. run fast.

Yeah!!!..Hoya is built to last :D

• 1 month later...
..so hes..lighter..

But I remember reading that Hatton wanted to face Floyd sometime but looking at Hattons recent fights he would look a chump in there with Floyd...

first decent fight in Years... Boxing is BACK!!

Is Rickey Hatton in the same weight division?

Taken from fightnews.com

Hatton targets De La Hoya!

Unbeaten IBO jr welterweight champion Ricky Hatton says Oscar De La Hoya will "use his size and reach" to defeat Floyd Mayweather Jr. on Saturday night. What's more, 'The Hitman' is targeting the winner. "If I had the choice I think I'd like to fight De La Hoya," Hatton told Sky Sports. "He's just a massive, massive name. He's not just a modern-day legend, looking at all the world titles he's won, he's a legend. He's said he'd come down to welterweight to fight me if I move up." However, before that can happen, Hatton has to get by Jose Luis Castillo in Las Vegas on June 23. "I think I'm really going to shine against Castillo," he predicted.

Thursday, May 3 2007

Unfortunately, Hatton would be taken apart by either DLH or Mayweather, he is just too small for welter.