Philips DVD Player DVP 5965K.

Dear all,

Anyone own one of this ? It comes with an USB input. I tried to use my 100GB harddisk to play my .*avi files. The video can be played but it is very jerky and stuttering. Any idea why ?

I don't have this problem with a 1GB USB thumdrive. It plays very well with my 1GB thumdrive.

I have the latest firmware installed on the DVD player as well.

Regards

Don

I'm guessing there's an issue with the speed of your drive. My guess is the HDD is to slow to keep up and because the player doesn't cache the file like a PC would, there's no room for slow downs.

I just did an experiment.

I got my friend's 100GB HD and try it out. The movie plays well. The only thing is that the DVD does not have enough power to run the HDD. When I pluck only the CABLE+POWER usb cable in, it can't run. I had to plug the other POWER ONLY usb cable to my laptop to generate enough power to run the HDD. The avi plays very well and very smoothly.

This is my external HDD

http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDr...=Specifications

My friend's external HDD

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ductCode=101523

Both specification is pretty smiliar.

What could be the problem that mine doesn't play smoothly like his ?

I have the latest firmware as well.

Regards

Don

the usb port on the front if im correct is for looking at your .jpegs and .mp3 files.. not .avi... for that your supposed to burn them onto a disk and it will read the avi from cd or dvd... its not created to play movies through usb port... ive seen this stated on many dvd players that have USB....

Groovedude: But it can be played. And i read from other forums that it can be used to do that. I think bangbang is right about the speed of the HDD. But i can't find the difference between both.

Could it be the way i formatted my external harddisk be the reason for the jerkyness ? As the DVD player only read FAT32 format, i got to format my external HDD to FAT32 format.

Windows doesn't allow me to format a HDD that is larger than 32GB so i gotta use this 3rd party program call FAT32FORMAT.

It can be found at http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/fat32format.htm

For my friend's seagate HDD, when i plugged both USB port (1 to the DVD player and 1 to my laptop to generate power) it works. But for my samsung one, even though i plugged both, it is still jerky.

I really think it's a power issue. I would get an enclosure that has it's own AC power source. That, or maybe the drive is simply too slow. Try taking it out and putting it in your friend's enclosure.

Ok, I just did another experiment. I took another friend's portable HDD which is EXACTLY the same as mine, Samsung HM100JC but the enclosure is different. I tried playing it on my DVD player and it also gives the jerkyness..

I really think it's a power issue. I would get an enclosure that has it's own AC power source. That, or maybe the drive is simply too slow. Try taking it out and putting it in your friend's enclosure.

Does it mean ANY 3.5" external HDD that comes with external power source, i can use ?

You should be able to, yeah. What I think is happening is that the drive is running in a low power state thus not feeding the information fast enough for the player.