PRIDE 33, A Night of Upsets

Despite minimal hype and online fan interest, PRIDE 33 featured moments that will undoubtedly go down in the MMA history book.

Most prominently, PRIDE Welterweight Champion Dan Henderson defeated Middleweight Champion Wanderlei Silva to win the latter?s belt. With a third round knockout victory, Henderson became PRIDE?s first fighter to simultaneously hold belts in both weight classes. By beating the world-renowned Silva, Henderson also established himself as one of the sport?s best pound-for-pound stars.

But, while the Henderson-Silva fight was classic for the conclusion, Takanori Gomi vs. Nick Diaz was classic for its edge-of-the-seat action. After suffering an early setback, Diaz maintained his composure and picked his opponent apart for a second round submission victory. Some are already speculating that Diaz-Gomi will join the ?fight of the year? ranks.

In addition to those fights (both of which saw underdogs claim victory), the show featured a number of shocking upsets. Late replacement James Lee topped Travis Wiuff and Sokoudjou stunned 20:1 favorite Antonio Rogerio Nogueira?both upset victories came within the first minute of action.

Full Fight Results:

Joachim Hansen b. Jason Ireland via submission (armbar) at 2:33 of Round 3.

Frank Trigg b. Kazuo Misaki via unanimous decision.

James Lee b. Travis Wiuff via submission (guillotine) at :39 Sokoudjou b. Antonio Rogerio NogueiraNogueira via KO at :23 of Round 1.

Hayato Sakurai b. Mac Danzig via KO at 4:01 of Round 2.

Sergei Kharitonov b. Michael Russow via submission (armbar) at 3:46 of Round 1.

Mauricio ?Shogun? Rua b. Alistair Overeem via KO at 3Nick Diaz b. Takanori Gomiakanori Gomi via submission (gogoplata) at 1Dan Henderson b. Wanderlei Silvaderlei Silva via KO at 2:08 of Round 3.

Source

I've been watching PFC for a long time, and that was one their worst PPVs that I've seen. Maybe I was just disappointed with the lackluster performance from both champions. If Silva does not regain his title from Henderson I think Shogun Rua will be the MW champion by years end. It looks like there is either bad blood between PFC and the UFC regarding the Silva-Liddell match that never panned out, or just clever marketing; because there were some shots taken at the UFC in a promo.

I just mentioned this in the UFC 68 thread before seeing this..Silva fight was unbelievable I thought at one moment Silva had turned it around when he was slammed but when Henderson just floored him I was shocked...he's better then that....he was having a major off day!!!

I've never seen Pride. Can someone explain how you can fight in 2 different weight divisions? Also, what are their match rules? It's not like UFC 3, 5 minute rounds is it?

Hendo moved up in weight for the fight (which means he just didn't cut weight for the fight).

There U.S. rules are the same as the UFC minus elbows.

There Japan rules have a first ten minute round then two five minute rounds, they allow knees to a downed opponent, soccer kicks to the head, & Foot stomps to head.

Hendo moved up in weight for the fight (which means he just didn't cut weight for the fight).

There U.S. rules are the same as the UFC minus elbows.

There Japan rules have a first ten minute round then two five minute rounds, they allow knees to a downed opponent, soccer kicks to the head, & Foot stomps to head.

There was an interview on Youtube that Fox conducted with Dana White and he doesnt agree with Prides rules...Here it is :)

In that interview Dana White said he agrees that you should be able to knee a downed opponent but not kick or stomp his face. He says there is no strategy in soccer kicking an opponent. Well what about purposely elbowing an opponent to draw blood, which could happen in the UFC, is that good strategy? I think White fears PRIDE because they're expanding in to the US market.

White also lays on the hyperbole pretty thick in particular saying UFC fighters kick butt when they go fight in PRIDE.

• Chuck Liddell: 1-1 in PRIDE.
  • Royce Gracie: 1-1-1 in PRIDE.
  • Ken Shamrock: 1-3 in PRIDE.
  • Don Frye: 2-3 in PRIDE.
  • Mark Coleman: 8-5 in PRIDE.
  • Josh Barnett: 5-4 in PRIDE.
  • Kevin Randleman: 4-7 in PRIDE.
  • Jens Pulver: 2-2 in PRIDE.

Hardly dominating records by some of the best mainstays the UFC has had. Unlike say, Anderson Silva who was mediocre in PRIDE, yet he came to the UFC and beat the UFC's most dominant champion, Rich Franklin. But to be fair, Nick Diaz did beat Gomi in his first PRIDE match.

Don't believe anything either promotion says when they're patting themselves on the back, because like Dana White they are bias and full of crap. Recently UFC commentator Joe Rogan said UFC 68 was the biggest MMA event in history. What he meant to say was UFC 68 was the biggest MMA event in N.America. In Japan they have gotten over 50,000 at events, depending on the venue such as the Toyko Dome.

I've never seen Pride. Can someone explain how you can fight in 2 different weight divisions?

You can fight in any weight division so long as you make the weight. Same as the UFC.

Also, what are their match rules? It's not like UFC 3, 5 minute rounds is it?

As already mentioned you can knee or kick a downed opponent to the head in PRIDE. However, elbows to the head/face are not allowed in PRIDE as they are in UFC because elbows tend to easily cause cuts. You're not allowed to put any ointment on your face such as Vaseline. You get fouls if there is not enough effort made to finish a fight by KO or submission. When they fight in the USA they have to use the same rules as UFC.

There are only three rounds. The first round is 10 minutes, the next two rounds are five minutes each, however there are different times for Bushido I think.

PRIDE also has an open-weight tournament which means any man can compete against another regardless of their weight. However, if it's a heavier weight class against a lesser one, the man from the lesser weight class can agree to ban knees to a downed opponent for that match.

There are fewer weight divisions in PRIDE. The lightweight division is less than 160 pounds. The welterweight division is less than 183 pounds. The middleweight is less than 205 pounds. The heavyweight division more or equal to 205 pounds.

Chuck Liddell is 2V-1L in Pride.

Bushido is no more (it did have different rules).

Pride has canceled it's next U.S. event and is being sued by the president of Pride USA "Ed Fishman"... lending further fuel to the rumors that the UFC will buy Pride which has been in financial difficulties since it lost its Japanese TV deal with "Fuji Network" following a Yakuza scandal, and the loss of several fighters to the UFC.

Personally I would be suprised if DSE survives 2007 without being forced to sell to either Zuffa or Fishman.

Looking back to Saturday's event, Silva admitted that he wasn't in the best condition. In fact, he had swollen tonsils and a fever one day prior to the main event. He also confessed that fighting under Nevada rules is a rather difficult adjustment for him. Despite his loss to Dan Henderson, Silva hopes to have a rematch to reclaim the belt.

Shogun expressed sadness and regret towards Silva's loss to Dan. Perhaps to avenge Silva's defeat, Shogun declared that he wishes to fight Dan Henderson at his next match.

Defeating Antonio Rogerio Nogueira by TKO in a mere 23 seconds of the first round, Sokoudjou "African Assassin" is the new star of the Middleweight class. Mr. Sakakibara announced that he will be fighting again at PRIDE.34 "Kamikaze" although his opponent has not yet been decided. Sokoudjou is willing to fight anyone except Dan Henderson. When told that Sokoudjou wishes to see PRIDE being held in Africa, Mr. Sakakibara replied, "If we're going to have it in Africa, I would like to hold the match in the savanna instead of on the ring, and see Sokoudjou fight a giraffe."

More...