[Review] Norton 360 Full Review

Hello fellow Neowinians!

01-tantawi-n360-welcome.jpg

Symantec has officially launched Norton 360 All-In-One Security Suit, a subscription ($79.99/year) based software bundle which includes antivirus, antispyware, firewall, antiphishing filter, system optimization tools, online backup, and more. For full list of features and system requirements please see the product website linked above.

Like most of savvy computer users, I dumped Norton products few years ago because of the silly system resources consumed by it and because there're "better" and cheaper alternatives available, such as NOD32 and Kaspersky. Now with the launch of the supposedly revamped product from Symantec, I thought it's wrong to stick to my old opinion before trying it first to see if things got improved from 2004+ nightmares.

Still, the old frighten boy inside me couldn't risk installing it on my production environment (Windows XP SP2), so I decided to give it a try on my testing hard disk running Windows Vista Ultimate (final), and I find it a good idea since at some point most users will be using Vista anyway.

Test system specs:

- Windows Vista Ultimate (Running as elevated Administrator, with no ReadyBoost drive used).

- MSI Neo2-P Platinum edition (i865PE) motherboard.

- Intel Pentium 4 3.4E w/HT @ 3.7 GHz.

- 2 GB Hynix PC3200 dual channel @ 436 MHz

- 80GB Western Digital Caviar PATA.

Installation:

So I went to Norton 360 trialware page and downloaded it (49.5 MB). The installer started extracting/installing files process showing some of the product's features on the screen, I liked the simplicity and the speed of the process.

After that, the installer asked for my product key, and as I don't have one yet I choose to run it as 15 days trial, then it ran an automatic Live Update and a quick virus/spyware scan on the critical system locations (took around 3 minutes), it also didn't ask for a system restart, very nice!

02-tantawi-n360-installing.jpg 03-tantawi-n360-licensing.jpg 04-tantawi-n360-quick.jpg

(Click on the image for the full size)

The 360:

If we all can agree on something in Norton products line, I guess it'll be the talented graphics/UI usability staff at Symantec. I'm impressed by the nice interface of Norton 360, clean and comprehensive, also pretty responsive (unlike Norton 200x).

The main window provide access to the main 4 features: PC Security, Transaction Security, Backup and Restore, and PC Tuneup. clicking details under each section takes you to the scanning/running process, and from the web-like links on the top right, you can have access to the common scanning features and application settings.

05-tantawi-n360-main.jpg 06-tantawi-n360-tasks.jpg 07-tantawi-n360-account.jpg 20-tantawi-n360-mainsettings.jpg

(Click on the image for the full size)

PC Security:

Before going into the details, SYMANTEC: where's the "selective scanning" had gone?? I spent like 15 minutes trying to find how to scan a folder/file individually with no luck! I tried every single screen in the program, also there's no right-click menu option on folder/files to do so (like every AV program on planet earth). It seems they are sticking to the 360 concept in scanning! as you should do a 360? system scan each time you wanted to scan something manually!

Actually I wanted to select only one folder to scan so I can compare the engine speed with NOD32's (which I have it installed on my other HDD). I had no choice but to do a full system scan. Fairly enough, and not statistically speaking, the scanning speed IS improved! it "seems" a lot faster than old Nortons, but I still think it's a bit slower than NOD32 in scanning some usual folders "like system32", I wish I could backup my observations with numbers, but unfortunately I don't have the time or patience to leave both AVs scan my entire system (350GB+ of data).

I left it to scan 200,000+ of files and guess what,It found a trojan >in my system (in Java folder in my XP HDD), oh my! NOW this is interesting, as NOD32 couldn't detect the threat! The trojan name is: Trojan.ByteVerify, and is identified on (September 10, 2003) what? 2003? *kicking NOD's ass*. The "trojan" seems to be not harmful, and I believe it may be a false positive. It's listed in the program as "High risk", but on Symantec website as "Low risk"! I'll take it as medium then. lol.

The auto-protect and firewall alert window is improved and now it displays a transparent, auto closing, message when a virus is found or something is blocked.

Speaking about firewall, it looks (as in settings and configuration) and works the same as in Norton Personal Firewall.

08-tantawi-n360-security1.jpg 09-tantawi-n360-security2.jpg 13-tantawi-n360-scan2.jpg 14-tantawi-n360-scan3.jpg 15-tantawi-n360-scan4.jpg

16-tantawi-n360-scan5.jpg 17-tantawi-n360-alert.jpg 21-tantawi-n360-avsettings1.jpg 22-tantawi-n360-avsettings2.jpg 26-tantawi-n360-fwsettings4.jpg

Edited by Tantawi

Startup time is not twice the time? Can you test this please... I just don't believe it....

And what is the uninstaller's process? I mean, last time I checked, there where a 3rd Party uninstaller to remove all Norton crap after it's uninstalation and I think that even Symentec made a tool like that...

Anyway, right there, I can say you that it just don't suit me, I can't live without "manual file/folder" scanning.

Startup time is not twice the time? Can you test this please... I just don't believe it....

And what is the uninstaller's process? I mean, last time I checked, there where a 3rd Party uninstaller to remove all Norton crap after it's uninstalation and I think that even Symentec made a tool like that...

Anyway, right there, I can say you that it just don't suit me, I can't live without "manual file/folder" scanning.

Startup time is just normal, nothing like slow down, and I've updated that part in the review.

I didn't uninstall it yet, but I'm testing it since yesterday and actually thinking of keeping it, if I uninstalled it I'll feedback here, but if anything and looking how files/processes are structured, I'd say it'll just uninstall like the way it should be, it doesn't look like the old Norton virus :D

About the manual folder scanning, yes I can't believe it's not there, anyway there's always a possibility that I'm stupid somehow and another user will point it out!

Welcome Milk.

I've lost my faith in Norton when I had to install a plugin in Norton Antivirus 2003 just to get it to work in Windows Security Center. After that, I just moved to Avast! and recently Nod32. I'm happy with what I have and though I may move to Norton in the near future, I'm happy with what I have :D !

Great review though!

Scirwode

Strange, i am getting a slower startup time here with the trial installed contrary to Tantawi's installation. but i did uninstall it and it went fine unlike the older NAV.

btw, nice review there mate!

Great review Tantawi ^^

Norton has indeed vastly improved, but there are a couple of things aside from the cost that make me not want to use Norton 360.

These are:

Backups. I manage backups myself using Acronis TrueImage, and there doesn't seem to be a way to tell Norton 360 that. It keeps reminding me to set my backup schedule.

Phishing toolbar. Whilst the Symantec phishing security is very good, having it enabled results in IE7 taking considerably longer to close when you exit the application. Also a delay is noticable when opening new tabs.

Whether it's just me, but also there was a noticable delay when clicking on links in a Google search to when IE started to resolve the URL.

Aside from these 2 points, I can't fault it really. Although I'd like to be able to see exactly what LiveUpdate is downloading, but heh that's not that important really.

Again, well done on the excellent review :)

Aftershock about the "good" verdict on a Norton AV:

Well, it seems Norton is getting better.

I must try this for future talk with clients and NW members but as I said, I'm not interested.

Thanks Tantawi for the review, with this I will clearly this this out and share my results and benchmark with you.

Thank you all, I'm glade it was useful.

I've updated it with the uninstall experiences, and a more accurate Windows startup performance.

Backups. I manage backups myself using Acronis TrueImage, and there doesn't seem to be a way to tell Norton 360 that. It keeps reminding me to set my backup schedule.

Phishing toolbar. Whilst the Symantec phishing security is very good, having it enabled results in IE7 taking considerably longer to close when you exit the application. Also a delay is noticable when opening new tabs.

Whether it's just me, but also there was a noticable delay when clicking on links in a Google search to when IE started to resolve the URL.

Schnitzel, I've reinstalled Norton 360 to check those issues.

For the backup, it just nags about configuring it, I opened the configuration screen and set it to manual and now it no longer complain about it "green".

For the fishing toolbar in IE, I opened the "Manage add-ins" window and diasabled the two Norton components, and now I don't have the antiphishing filter enabled in IE ofcourse, but Norton still puts the "green mark" on it and never complain. :) I know that seems not really a solution but I don't use IE anyway :)

Welcome everyone and If you want to test anything just tell me :)

I must say that my experience with norton has been very good since 2003 and my good experience continues even today when i played around with norton-360 for an hour...

it was very light on my pc...no performance drag or something.............i think people should grow-up and use norton's recent version like 2006-7 and find out the difference........ :yes:

I must say that my experience with norton has been very good since 2003 and my good experience continues even today when i played around with norton-360 for an hour...

it was very light on my pc...no performance drag or something.............i think people should grow-up and use norton's recent version like 2006-7 and find out the difference........ :yes:

I did, and I found it horribly slow, and there are better free alternatives -- Not sure about Norton 360 however.

Schnitzel, I've reinstalled Norton 360 to check those issues.

For the backup, it just nags about configuring it, I opened the configuration screen and set it to manual and now it no longer complain about it "green".

For the fishing toolbar in IE, I opened the "Manage add-ins" window and diasabled the two Norton components, and now I don't have the antiphishing filter enabled in IE ofcourse, but Norton still puts the "green mark" on it and never complain. :) I know that seems not really a solution but I don't use IE anyway :)

Welcome everyone and If you want to test anything just tell me :)

Heh, very good of you to go to the effort to test those things! Although I wasn't implying I wanted you to do that in my post, just incase you thought I was :p

Glad to hear that I can get around the backup "Issue".

Just out of interest, I assume when you've disabled the 2 Norton IE Add-ins, and the IE Bar has gone but you still have the green tick, the Norton phishing protection is indeed off, so you'd be able to visit phished sites, although one could always re-enable the default IE7 phishing abilitiy.

I might have another play around with it later inlight of your findings.

One thing I've always wondered about though, is the detection rates of the AntiVirus component.

Fortunately, they now offer the AV updates daily, rather than weekly. But usually (by checking their site) each day only a few definitions are added, sometimes none at all. The list can be viewed here. Currently, I'm using NOD32. There seems to be many more detections added per day, not that this means either are better as Norton probably has less false positives, but it's just a thought :)

I also like the way you cannot terminate the protection offered by the newer Norton products, unfortunately NOD32's protection can be disabled in the current version.

Thanks for testing these extra things, I hope you didn't go to too much trouble ;)

You're most welcome! :)

And you're right, what's important is the actual protection, and I'm a bit happy that it found a trojan on my PC :D "whether it's a false positive or not" but it makes it feels superior than NOD32 in terms of the protection factor.

For Legendkiller, This review is about 360 only :p I can't even be bothered to speak about the whole 2004+ line, even 2007, it's a disaster man! didn't you find a very noticeable difference between 2007 and the new 360? ;)

Edited the review to add a video file for the boot/startup process!

Edited by Tantawi

Excellent read, does the backup act & be used like Norton Ghost 9 & 10?
Q. Does Norton 360 support system recovery like Norton Ghost and Norton Save and Restore?

A. No, in this initial version of Norton 360, system recovery functionality is not available. System recovery functionality is being evaluated for future versions of Norton 360.

From: http://www.symantec.com/norton360/about/n360faq.html

Welcome Amano and MichaelBL :)

Updated to include those links:

- Homepage

- Norton 360 FAQs

- Norton 360 Design Philosophy: User Experience and Performance

- Download a 15 days trial version of Norton 360

Edited by Tantawi

I did install the trial version, problem was it didn't uninstall NIS2007 properly.

It left the protection centre still installed.

I used the Norton Removal tool to totally remove NIS2007 before install.

I would suggest anyone that wants to install the trial, remove windows defender first as Norton 360 prompts to remove it anyway, then use the Norton Removal tool to remove Norton previous versions.

After reboot, I installed 360, it was smooth and didn't require a reboot, updated it, did a quick scan, disabelled backup utility and found my computer system works 20% quicker +

Shame they don't do a 30 day trial rather than a 15 day trial, as I cannot buy this item from my retailer till around March 18th & won't receive it till about the 25th.