ALERT! Yahoo mail propogating virus via login screen

I submitted this to the newsdesk feature on neowin.net but I don't know how long this will take to get put up, so please read this if you use yahoo mail:

Several users including myself have been hit by a virus propogating through the Yahoo beta Mail web page simply by logging in. The old yahoo mail interface appears clean. Please avoid logging without an active and up-to-date virus protection. One person I know got the virus due to having active protection but out-of-date definitions.

If you have used yahoo beta mail today, you must run the removal tool found here here:

linkicon.gif Link: W32.feebs information and removal tool

picticon.gif Screenshot: Symantec detection prompt

viewicon.gif View: Yahoo Mail user group discussion forum

-d

Someone on the yahoo mail forum suggests this may be a false positive. Looks like only symantec AV tool is freaking out this morning. The symantec removal tool does identify and remove a virus but it could just be a cached file that resembles a signature symantec is looking for.

avast av does not complain.

-d

I had the same issue and had to switch over to the old version of mail. Weather false/positive or not, how do we NOT know that it wasn't an actual attack weather inside or outside of Yahoo? This JavaScript Virus was pushed out as I did a packet sniff and watch it get pushed out when logging into Yahoo Beta Mail. So, it may be more then what Yahoo is admitting to.

Hi ,

I had the same problem Today , Nearly 50 PC's were hit . Symantec Auto Protect Detected W32.Feebs Virus when users tried to log-on to the New Yahoo Beta Mail while some PC were detected by the same virus when we had done a Manual scan on all PC's . We had no choice but to block the Yahoo Mail WebSite . This could be a virus Definition problem this detection happened with Virus Definition of 27/02/2007 Rev 35. I am going to Upgrade to the new Definiton of 27/02/2007 rev 80 and check . In the mean time if anyone has a solution to the problem . Pls post as a reply.

Hi All ,

Yes it was a Bug in the Virus Definition of 27/02/2007 Rev 35 . After Upgrading to Rev .80 of the same Date or later rev of 28/02/2007 . I am able to log-on to the new Yahoo Beta mail with no Virus Alert from Symantec Antivirus .

Looks like Symantec knew about the problem and thats why they must have released two Definition Rev 35 and then later Rev. 80 dated 27/02/2007.