Mame 360 on dev360 kit

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EE...FVFfajVjLfN.php

We got this interesting email from a trusted developer that wishes to remain anonymous for now. He has been working on a port of MAME and ScummVM for the Xbox360 for some time now. The development and pictures below are from a devkit, but with the recent Hypervisor Exploit (kernel 4532/4548 only for now) there's hope you'll be able to run this on a retail Xbox360 some day:
In light of the recent 360 hack and possibility of widespread homebrew in the future, I wanted to share some news with you and X-S.

I've been working on a port of MAME to the 360. I call it 'MAME360'.

Now for a bit about the project:

* It's based on MAME 0.112 and is fairly easy to keep up-to-date (doesn't need any messing around with like Mameox on the xbox).

* Originally it was based on SDLMAME but I've since ported a 360 specific osd layer (so SDL for the 360 exists - as an aside I also have a port of ScummVM in the works too).

* Mame doesn't include any dynarec cpu emulation on anything other than an x86 platform. So any game that is PSX or N64 based for example doesn't run at all well.

* Most other stuff (that I've tried) runs pretty well.

* At the moment it will only run on 360 dev/debug/test kits. Whether it will ever run on a hacked retail box remains to be seen.

mame360_01.jpg

mame360_02.jpg

mame360_03.jpg

mame360_04.jpg

mame360_05.jpg

mame360_06.jpg

mame360_07.jpg

mame360_08.jpg

mame360_09.jpg

mame360_10.jpg

mame360_11.jpg

ill never understand hacking a $400 box to run something that will work fine on the pc....

HDTV?

I wouldn't hack my XBox over something like MAME. Still looks awesome and I wish that was an option for me. I love Marvel vs. Capcom.

ill never understand hacking a $400 box to run something that will work fine on the pc....

It's a frackin devkit which means that if you screw something up you just run the XDK and it's back to original specs...

I'll never understand why people don't think these things through...

thats cool, but why is the left side of the pictures all messed up? either a glitch, or someone is very very bad at photoshop

HDTV?

I wouldn't hack my XBox over something like MAME. Still looks awesome and I wish that was an option for me. I love Marvel vs. Capcom.

I'm with shadrack on this..And I loved MvC series. It would be AWESOME to have this or part 2 or any crossover fighting games ported to xbox live arcade...Think about online mayhem...oohhh :yes:

I'm with shadrack on this..And I loved MvC series. It would be AWESOME to have this or part 2 or any crossover fighting games ported to xbox live arcade...Think about online mayhem...oohhh :yes:

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing more arcade fighters. I mean now that we've got TMNT for XBLA why not MvC?! That would rock my arse!

HDTV?

what about HDTV, I have a computer I recently built for my 42 in HDTV and I Have mame on that

what about HDTV, I have a computer I recently built for my 42 in HDTV and I Have mame on that

NO I think he meant hacking an Xbox 360 for using MAME. The thing is that the guy got it running on a dev kit which not everyone can get their hands on. If you hacka dev kit and then crash it due to it, you can run the XDK recover from your PC that's connected to thenetwork the Dev Kit's on and it'll return it to manf settings with cleaned HDD's if you'd like.

I've got a PC hooked up to my 52" HDTV at home through the VGA and have MAME on it as well. Nothing like seeing those old arcade classics on the big screen! It'd be nice if they made the old classics into games for XBLA, until then, I'll just use my game pads and my Media Center PC and MAME. :D

Spider_Man, it's not about being able to recover a devkit if it crashes...it's that dev and test kits can run unsigned code. You dont need to hack them at all.

I use devkits at work and a reboot is all that's needed if a program crashes. Unless you want to update firmware, the hard drive is corrupted, or the console has been locked...there's little need to run a recovery.

Spider_Man, it's not about being able to recover a devkit if it crashes...it's that dev and test kits can run unsigned code. You dont need to hack them at all.

I use devkits at work and a reboot is all that's needed if a program crashes. Unless you want to update firmware, the hard drive is corrupted, or the console has been locked...there's little need to run a recovery.

Yes, I'm auite aware of that, I have 3 sitting in my office right now. The point i was making is that if he made it on a dev kit and screwed something up, it's an easy fix... it is completly possible to run unsigned code and crash the system and even frack the system up to the point of needed a recovery. I've done it myself in my first few weeks workign with my frist dev kit. So yeah, I'm not some uneducated frack who knows just enough to spout a few things :D