DirectX 9 and Windows Vista

Should I install DirectX 9.0c (Feb 2007) on Windows Vista? I cannot find anything on this subject.

Any information would be greatly appreciated :)

Quick answer: no.

DirectX 10 is included with Vista, which is all you need. In fact, if you try and install it, the installer will probably say you have a newer version installed.

Yes install it, it says in the system requirements for it thats it's compatible with vista.

this whole thing is a bit confusing, I think it's like this:

Vista comes with DX10 installed which is backwardly compatible with DX9. Some games need certain DX9 specific files to be in place to work so if you encounter problems with a game it makes sense to install DX9.

Sorry it's a bit vague...

I just found out that you should install it because it wont effect DirectX 10 and it provides performance/security enhancements over the existing DirectX 9.0Ex in Vista.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Quick answer: no.

DirectX 10 is included with Vista, which is all you need. In fact, if you try and install it, the installer will probably say you have a newer version installed.

what's the long answer?

YES install the latest directx like the others suggested

yeah install the newest DirectX 9.0c when its available.. download and install DirectX9c (feb2007) and when the next one comes out, install that!

:)

Apparently directx9 and directx10 are like the .net runtines...! that means, they're independent and you can (and are advised) to install both.

I myself chose not to install directx9 when nero asked for it and I found one of those lite versions which don't require it. In fact I can think of any feature I usually use of nero that would require directx9

• 3 months later...

Actually you will find that the Feb 2007 redistributable is NOT 9.0c, they are not numbered anymore and haven't been since November I believe. The latest now is June 2007 anyways and will update DirectX 9 on XP and 2003 and 10 on Vista.

^ Exactly, except it updates DirectX 9 on Vista as well, some DX9 games refused to work giving dx*.dll errors until I installed the update that was available back then.

To further elaborate on my post:

Also embedded into Windows Vista is DirectX 9.0L to allow for compatibility with DirectX 9 components. Think of it like two separate DirectX systems. We will have DirectX 9.0L for DirectX 9 hardware and we will have DirectX 10 for DirectX 10 capable hardware.

Source: HardOCP

DX10 will use much faster dynamic link libraries (DLLs), and won't incorporate older versions of DirectX, as is done today. DirectX 9 will be supported side-by-side, through DirectX 9.L (basically, that's DX9 for the Vista driver model). So right there, without using any new features, DX10 should be more efficient and faster.

Source: ExtremeTech

So the reason not to install 9.0c is because vista has the special 9.L that will allow for better performance based on the new driver model introduced with Vista.

^wrong.

Download the June release by MS, then extract it with WinRAR or WinZip, and you'll see that it have DirectX 10 files (compressed DLLs and INFs), beside DirectX 9 files. Note also that the download link above doesn't even says DiretcX 9c, it says just DirectX, and Windows Vista is listed as supported operating system, isn't that enough?

Also I can no where see a mention of that so-called DirectX 9L in Vista, it's called DirectX 9Ex in dxdiag.

And some newer games will not even start on Vista without these updates, I already experienced that but really can't remember what game it was.

^wrong.

Download the June release by MS, then extract it with WinRAR or WinZip, and you'll see that it have DirectX 10 files (compressed DLLs and INFs), beside DirectX 9 files. Note also that the download link above doesn't even says DiretcX 9c, it says just DirectX, and Windows Vista is listed as supported operating system, isn't that enough?

Also I can no where see a mention of that so-called DirectX 9L in Vista, it's called DirectX 9Ex in dxdiag.

And some newer games will not even start on Vista without these updates, I already experienced that but really can't remember what game it was.

Ok,

A major new feature of DirectX 10 is Direct3D 10 (originally called Windows Graphics Foundation). By using the new Windows Display Driver Model, Shader Model 4 and new, more strict requirements for GPU manufacturers to claim Direct3D 10 compatibility,[2] version 10 of Direct3D represents a radical departure from the practices of previous versions and thus breaks backwards compatibility. In order to achieve backwards compatibility with previous versions of Direct3D, DirectX 10 actually contains three versions of Direct3D:[3]

* Direct3D 9: this API emulates all Direct3D 9 on Windows XP behavior (and its quirks) in order to achieve full compatibility with older applications. All the details and advantages of Vista's Windows Display Driver Model are hidden from the application if WDDM drivers are installed. This is the only API available if there are only XP graphic drivers (XPDM) installed, after an upgrade to Vista for example.

* Direct3D 9Ex (previously known as 9.0L): allows full access to the new capabilities of WDDM (if WDDM drivers are installed, of course) while maintaining compatibility for existing Direct3D applications by putting it in a separate API. The Windows Aero user interface relies on D3D 9Ex. When 9Ex was still codenamed 9.0L, there were rumors that this would be Direct3D 10 for Windows XP.[4] It was quickly pointed out that this was not the case, mainly due to lack of support for WDDM in Windows XP.[5]

* Direct3D 10 Currently, the only graphics hardware compatible with Direct3D 10 is the NVIDIA GeForce 8 Series and the newly released ATI Radeon HD 2000 Series, which has thus far limited the advent of Direct3D 10-capable applications. Contrary to rumors surrounding the issue, Direct3D 10 will not be released on the Xbox 360 via a firmware update due to incompatibilities with its graphics hardware.[6]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX

So 9.L was the codename, and its now called 9Ex, like you mentioned. Just because the redist. includes the files for 9.0c does not mean the 9.0c files are installed on Vista by that installer.

So why does MS download page list Windows Vista as a supported operating system? (and the same since the November DX Redist. release). I'll try to do more research on what games need that on Vista (just as they do need it on XP), because I already experienced it.

So why does MS download page list Windows Vista as a supported operating system? (and the same since the November DX Redist. release). I'll try to do more research on what games need that on Vista (just as they do need it on XP), because I already experienced it.

Vista is listed, as are all of the 2003 and XP editions, because this installer will apply the directX updates required specifically by your machine. For an XP machine, this would be the 9.0c updates, and for the Vista machines, this would be the 10 updates. The 10 updates would update their 9Ex subcomponents, which would be the pieces implementing the fixes for the games you are referencing.

Edit: You will also notice Microsoft does not list Vista as a supported operating system for the 9.0c installer:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Edited by clonk