[UK] Anyone with freeserve/btinternet?

I'm just wondering... My mum is with freeserve/btinternet (think they're the same?), and she says she needs software installed on her machine, otherwise it'll charge her to use the internet... Is this true? I ask because I want to use the internet on my laptop, but it doesnt have the software installed, but it's a permanant connection... We dont use any software when we turn the machine on, just go straight onto IE, and start browsing, so presume no software is needed...?

Freeserve, Wanadoo and Orange are the same. It is normally used through a BT line.

Is it dial-up or broadband? If its dial up then so long as the number is free (0808 or 0800 number) then it doesn't matter if the software is installed since its just junk. If its broadband then its a fixed fee anyway. All it will require is a username/password and a telephone number of 0.

Nah, that's what I mean. I don't enter ANYTHING at all... It just works, which is why I'm worried it might get charged to the phone bill if using it without software...

Nah, that's what I mean. I don't enter ANYTHING at all... It just works, which is why I'm worried it might get charged to the phone bill if using it without software...

If its connceted through a USB ADSL modem or router then its going to be broadband, and therefore flat fee.

If she uses dialup, then kight have a dialer installed.

Nasty software that hijacks your logon name and password then dials premium rate phone number as access to the net.

I am sure they are outlawed in the UK.

If broadband, I know my router will just connect to the net, ISP knows it's me by my telephone number, however I configure it to make sure it's not wireless and only I have access to it.

I tried freeserve about 10 years ago, maybe 9, from the install disk it connected for you and you set it up on-line.

No isp charges just 0845 number dialled IMMS.

So when you opened your browser, it would dial automatically.

Maybe that setting has changed.

If its connceted through a USB ADSL modem or router then its going to be broadband, and therefore flat fee.

Yep. It's connected via an ADSL router, so presume that'll be ok then? Via ethernet, but that wont make a diff... Right, guess I'll go get my laptop then!:D:D

Well that's what I thougt. The only broadband provider like that is AOL, where you need to connect first, don't you?

Don't know about other providers, I use AOL myself.

Well that's what I thougt. The only broadband provider like that is AOL, where you need to connect first, don't you?

AOL is a bit wierd, but you can easily put that through a router too. Its just that most people with AOL use the crappy AOL Explorer software thing which they use to sign on with.

AOL is a bit wierd, but you can easily put that through a router too. Its just that most people with AOL use the crappy AOL Explorer software thing which they use to sign on with.

you can sign on with a usb modem without the aol software as well, just need a PPoE driver for the usb modem.

Signed onto a mates AOL using a voyager 105 usb adsl modem that way before