HTPC New Build

Here's some info from the manual, that's currently frying my brain

Memory configurations

You may install 256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB, and 2 GB unbuffered non‑ECC DDR2 DIMMs into the DIMM sockets.

? You may install varying memory sizes in Channel A and Channel B. The system maps the total size of the lower-sized channel for the dual-channel configuration. Any excess memory from the higher-sized channel is then mapped for single-channel operation.

? Always install DIMMs with the same CAS latency. For optimum compatibility, it is recommended that you obtain memory modules from the same vendor.

? Due to chipset resource allocation, the system may detect less than 8 GB system memory when you installed four 2 GB DDR2 memory modules.

? This motherboard does not support memory modules made up of 128 Mb chips or double sided x16 memory modules.

? If you install four 1 GB memory modules, the system may detect less than 3 GB of total memory because of address space allocation for other critical functions. This limitation applies to Windows XP 32-bit version operating system since it does not support PAE (Physical Address Extention) mode.

? If you install Windows XP 32-bit version operating system, we recommend that you install less than 3Notes on memory limitationsitations[/b]ions

? Due to chipset limitation, this motherboard can only support up to 8 GB on the operating systems listed below.

You may install a maximum of 2 GB DIMMs on each slot, but only DDR2-533 and DDR2-667 2 GB density modules are available 32-bit - Windows 2000 Advanced Server / 64-bit - Windows XP Professional x64 Edition64 Edition[/b]dition

? Some old-version DDR2-800/667 DIMMs may not match Intel??s On‑Die‑Termination (ODT) requirement and will automatically downgrade to run at DDR2-533. If this happens, contact your memory vendor to check the ODT value.

? Due to chipset limitation, DDR2-800 with CL=4 will be downgraded to run at DDR2-667 by default setting. If you want to operate with lower latency, adjust the memory timing manually.

? Due to chipset limitation, DDR2-667 with CL=3 will be downgraded to run at DDR2-533 by default setting. If you want to operate with lower latency, adjust the memory timing manually.

That indeed, is the problem :(

I was looking at both those sticks of RAM today and though I'd go for the cheaper option, but I suppose skimping at the last moment could be foolish.

Better of going with a reputable brand.

The OCZ have timings of 4-4-4-15. while the Corsair have 5-5-5-12 yet cost more! Do these timings make a great lot of difference?

EDIT: Ah!

• Due to chipset limitation, DDR2-800 with CL=4 will be downgraded to run at DDR2-667 by default setting. If you want to operate with lower latency, adjust the memory timing manually.

In that case, it sounds like I'd be better off just sticking with the Corsair or some other CL 5 rated memory.

Sod it, I'm going for THESE ones.

EDIT 2:

OK so this is what I have now

Case - Zalman HD160XT - ?325.18> - YOYOtechMobo> - Asus P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP -?113.92b> - Micro DirecCPUb> - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 ?196.20/b> - Micro DireHeatsink/fan/b> - Zalman CNPS7700-CU?0.00 - MaplGFX - GeForce 7600G?102.111 - YOYORAMM - Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C5 Twi?124.9999 - eb?862862 so far, this is starting to :unsure:unsure:

Off I go to look at HDD:)39;s :)

Edited by The Cub

DAMN! After closer inspection, my current heatsink/fan isn't going to fit ether :'(

Looks like I'll have to go with the one Zalman recommends for the case CNPS9500, or start looking at some water cooling solutions.

And I thought this was going to be fun :whistle:

Just ordered 2 Samsung SpinPoint T166 320GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM @ ?52.50 each

Should be enough space as I will be building a server for storage, and I'm going to put them in RAID0 for a bit of a speed boost.

Fingers crossed they are as quite as the reviews suggest.

Now for a DVD burner..........

Just ordered 2 Samsung SpinPoint T166 320GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM @ ?52.50 each

Should be enough space as I will be building a server for storage, and I'm going to put them in RAID0 for a bit of a speed boost.

Fingers crossed they are as quite as the reviews suggest.

Now for a DVD burner..........

I am glad you are only storing TV shows on those:pp

DVD burners I recommend EVERY time, Pioneer DVD writers. I have had prettty much every model since the Pioneer DVR-105 (they are currently at DVR-112) and not one of the drives has died. They regularly release firmware updates which boost writing speed and disk compatibility. Highly recommended(Y))

w00t! CPU and mobo just arrived in the post :)

Why are you glad? are they lacking performance wise? I chose them because the apparently run very quiet.

EDIT: Grrr, arse holes sent me the non Wi-Fi version of the mobo :crazy:

Edited by The Cub

w00t! CPU and mobo just arrived in the post :)

Why are you glad? are they lacking performance wise? I chose them because the apparently run very quiet.

EDIT: Grrr, arse holes sent me the non Wi-Fi version of the mobo :crazy:

No... just not all that reliable from my experience. I am sure they will be fine.

I hate it when companies send the wrong stuff... getting far to frequent these days.

Edited by ccuk

wayhay! it seems that my hs/f will actually fit :)

BUT!!!

The thing is, it has some movement after installing it. It can spin slightly from left to right very easily. I've gone over the instructions again and again (very simple) so I haven't missed anything. There's nothing sticking up from the mobo that's stopping it from sitting correctly, all the screws are as tight as they should be.

Can this be right?

wayhay! it seems that my hs/f will actually fit :)

BUT!!!

The thing is, it has some movement after installing it. It can spin slightly from left to right very easily. I've gone over the instructions again and again (very simple) so I haven't missed anything. There's nothing sticking up from the mobo that's stopping it from sitting correctly, all the screws are as tight as they should be.

Can this be right?

How much Thermal Paste did you use?

Probably a little too much. After running it for a while it seems to have sorted it self out :)

Think I'm gonna hold off on a burner until I can get my hands on a DVR-212. There's no way I'm paying the shipping costs from the US (it's twice the price of the drive :rofl: . I've got a an old Benq that I can use for now anyway

Not sure what to do about a keyboard now, I had my eye on one of THESE little beauties, but the release date has been put back.

are you using xp mce as the os? they do a decent looking keyboard for that and its not that expensive although you need the usb dongle/remote which adds an extra ?20, i have the remote/dongle and keep meaning to order the keyboard but never get around to it.

keyboard

Microsoft Windows Media Center Hardware Kit (Remote/Receiver)

i don't know if they work under vista but i would hope so

Yeah I've been looking at those, Waylander. Not sure whether or not I need the receiver though, as my case comes with a remote and has an IR receiver built in. Just trying to find out now if they are compatible.

GFX card arrived today :) It just fits in the case, there must me about 2mm clearance max from the top of the case.

I thought I'd have a quick look at the POST screen, even though there is no RAM or any HDD's in there yet, I should still see something, right?

Well I get nothing! No signal to the screen. This seems strange, and has me a little worried. There is no case speaker, so I can't hear the error codes (if it's producing any)

Could it be because it's a PCI-E card that it's not showing anything at this point? (not initialised yet or something) Because I'm sure I'd see something if it was AGP.

Edited by The Cub

GFX card arrived today :) It just fits in the case, there must me about 2mm clearance max from the top of the case.

I thought I'd have a quick look at the POST screen, even though there is no RAM or any HDD's in there yet, I should still see something, right?

Well I get nothing! No signal to the screen. This seems strange, and has me a little worried. There is no case speaker, so I can't hear the error codes (if it's producing any)

Could it be because it's a PCI-E card that it's not showing anything at this point? (not initialised yet or something) Because I'm sure I'd see something if it was AGP.

No RAM... no POST.

I'll take your word for it. (for now) ;) Gonna test out my theory tomorrow, while I'm putting my old PSU back in my desktop.

• 1 year later...

I'm looking at building one of these things at the moment and this thread was very interesting. Now that you're a year down the line, can you update the thread on your experiences and perhaps anything you would change?