+ New TV, How to get HD?!

Hey guys,

My dad just purchased a new TV for NO! reason, came home and was wondering why the picture didn't look the same as it did in the store. I just kinda laughed in his face, I wonder how many people fall for that crap.

I don't know a thing about HD except for the fact that you need a HD terminal, or somehting along those lines, and maybe some special cables.

This is the TV that he bought...

http://www.hitachi.ca/Apps/hitachicanada/c...jsp/hcl/hcl/en/

It looks like it has a HD tuner built in.

We have regular cable, no digital.

Now, how can I get this thing to play the HD shows in actual HD? What do I need to purchase?

We would liek to keep the basic cable, so maybe keep that in mind.

Thanks,

Mario

you need digital cable, or sattelite

you will also need some new cables...should go for HDMI if your TV supports it.

Contact ur cable company, ask them if they offer digital cable with HD programming

its gonna cost you around 30 bucks a month for the terminal rent and the HD programming. that should be the ball park, again..im not too sure

Hey, hanks for he info guys, we don't really wan o change the cable we have, but the antena sounds really good.

Can anyone give me some more info on what I should look for? Im afraid if I go o futureshop or besbuy and ask wha I need I'll wlak out with something I don't need.

How do these antenas work?

Will the channels that show "in HD" be in hd even though it's through basic cable?

Oh and I live in a apartament building so can these antenas be mounted indoors?

Thanks,

Mario

Hey, hanks for he info guys, we don't really wan o change the cable we have, but the antena sounds really good.

Can anyone give me some more info on what I should look for? Im afraid if I go o futureshop or besbuy and ask wha I need I'll wlak out with something I don't need.

How do these antenas work?

Will the channels that show "in HD" be in hd even though it's through basic cable?

Oh and I live in a apartament building so can these antenas be mounted indoors?

Thanks,

Mario

You can use any antenna you want, even one from 50 years ago will work fine. Just dont buy an "HD" antenna.

You can use any antenna you want, even one from 50 years ago will work fine. Just dont buy an "HD" antenna.

While that's nice, almost every antenna is advertised as HD these days. There's nothing wrong with buying one if he doesn't have a good/any one at the moment.

You have two options:

1. You can buy an antenna and get your local channels in HD when they broadcast as such. This will require you to switch inputs from the cable box to the antenna every time you wish to watch HD, but there's no monthly fees involved.

2. The more convenient yet more costly (in terms of possible monthly fees) option is to upgrade to digital cable and get the available HD package. While this does cost more, you won't have to switch inputs and you will get a wider variety of stations possibly including the amazingly beautiful Discovery HD Theater.

i would get the HD cable box. Most cable companies now are offering free upgrade to digital to get people off older analog stuff. YOu wont get HD but atleast it'll still be good. Most cable places also have free HD channels (local ones, like ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) but it seems you're in Canada so i don't know what you guys have there. For the US we'd use Antennaweb.com and check if there's signal available in our areas but i don't know what they use for you. To get Over the Air (OTA) signals you need to be within 50 miles of a tower. Since you're in an apt and in Ontario one should be there but who knows what signal you'll get because of all the tall buildings.

So i'd get the cable, easier and only costs like an extra $10-20 a month. Since the TV you have is QAM capable (digital cable) then just get the TV Card from them ($4.95/month in the US) and you can get digital cable already. The local stations should be you might need another $5 to get those channels since they usually seperate them from normal channels.

EG:

FOX NYC Digital: Channel 5

FOX NYC HD: Channel 805

CBS NYC Digital: Channel 2

CBS NYC HD: Channel 802

and so on. I think tho since it has a QAM tuner tho you should be able to tune to any channel available including the 800 ones. You just wont get PPV and other on demands stuff via a cable card.

Edited by SHoTTa35

Great Replies! Thanks guys.

I have decided that a antena seems like too much of a hassle so I'm going to call around and see what kind of deals I can get on Digital Cable.

One last question, do I still require the HD box from my cable company if my TV has a HD tuner built in?

Thanks guys,

Mario

Great Replies! Thanks guys.

I have decided that a antena seems like too much of a hassle so I'm going to call around and see what kind of deals I can get on Digital Cable.

One last question, do I still require the HD box from my cable company if my TV has a HD tuner built in?

Thanks guys,

Mario

You'll most likely need the box, but since the set has a QAM tuner, you should check with your local provider. They may allow service through the QAM tuner without using a box, though they tend to require customers to have a box instead.