Sony PS3 review and comparison from a consumer point of view

Net Civilian - what the heck are you talking about? Do some research...

PS3 lower price system has been DISCONTINUED BY SONY! aka they dont make them anymore...

XBOX360 controllers are NOT infared... they use WiFi thats why they have a RADIO! board on the system in the front where you have the "ring" of light, its in that same area! The IR port is only for the remote! not the controllers.. and their WiFi controllers just like the Wii's auto sync with the system through wireless! You can resync them by pressing the resync button if you have to

Net Civilian - what the heck are you talking about? Do some research...

PS3 lower price system has been DISCONTINUED BY SONY! aka they dont make them anymore...

XBOX360 controllers are NOT infared... they use WiFi thats why they have a RADIO! board on the system in the front where you have the "ring" of light, its in that same area! The IR port is only for the remote! not the controllers.. and their WiFi controllers just like the Wii's auto sync with the system through wireless! You can resync them by pressing the resync button if you have to

although some of net civilian's points are incorrect, i agree with some of his ideas.

haha, you saying that they use wiFi is as incorrect as him saying they use infrared.

"their WiFi controllers just like the Wii's auto sync with system through wirelees!" haha

the 360 controllers use RF - radio frequency. not infrared, and NOT WiFi. the 360 doesnt even have WiFi unless you buy that adatper - which is used to connect to a network (and internet)

the Wii's controllers are more like the PS3 as they both use bluetooth to connect. both have to sync

the Wii's synch initially by using the sync button on the system & rear of controller.

the PS3 will initially synch a controller when its plugged in with usb - which is also used for charging.

the thing which is similar with all 3 360,ps3,wii, is when you turn on a controller, it sets itself as one of the 4 available controllers to the system

honestly neofuse, maybe you should do some research as well

although some of net civilian's points are incorrect, i agree with some of his ideas.

haha, you saying that they use wiFi is as incorrect as him saying they use infrared.

"their WiFi controllers just like the Wii's auto sync with system through wirelees!" haha

the 360 controllers use RF - radio frequency. not infrared, and NOT WiFi. the 360 doesnt even have WiFi unless you buy that adatper - which is used to connect to a network (and internet)

the Wii's controllers are more like the PS3 as they both use bluetooth to connect. both have to sync

the Wii's synch initially by using the sync button on the system & rear of controller.

the PS3 will initially synch a controller when its plugged in with usb - which is also used for charging.

the thing which is similar with all 3 360,ps3,wii, is when you turn on a controller, it sets itself as one of the 4 available controllers to the system

honestly neofuse, maybe you should do some research as well

RF is what I ment I was reading a stupid article that said XBOX 360 WiFi so that was a mistake :rolleyes: and if you look at my post closely you can see it was an honest mistake because i even said "RADIO" in it meaning RF... and I never mentioned what Wii used.. I just said it also auto syncs like the wii...

RF is what I ment I was reading a stupid article that said XBOX 360 WiFi so that was a mistake :rolleyes: and if you look at my post closely you can see it was an honest mistake because i even said "RADIO" in it meaning RF... and I never mentioned what Wii used.. I just said it also auto syncs like the wii...

thats cool.. but net civilian was wrong in saying infrared, then i found it funny when you told him to do research and mentioned a few times that they use wifi. radio is also part of wifi technology too.

anyway, wii & ps3 are similar as they both use bluetooth and need to do an initial sync with the controller

the 360 uses RF

i have all 3 systems, and honestly i find it kind of annoying to keep a few chargers around and having to change batteries when they die. i like being able to plug in the ps3 controller using usb once in a while and letting it charge when i'm not playing. it really comes down to comfort and opinion

Well it seemed pretty long, and I never read reviews that ever start of with something on the lines of "No fanboyism here" or along those lines, i just find them usually panning towards one side, I'm not saying you are, they just tend to.

But people like the review and say its fair so good on you for writing one, people generally don't spend much time to write a good long one, but I'll get round to reading it in the near future.

But you also have a very nice layout and lots of nice stuff, care to share? :p

I just sold my 360 with the hddvd add on to get a ps3 and i must say i am equally happy with my new system... although xbox live is still killer.... i couldn't stand the noise from the 360 dvd drive when playing games talk about loud.. the ps3 is way less noisey can't even hear it.. plus you can't beat Gran turismo hd... sorry Microsoft it will never happen ,PG3 or Forza good games in there own way but no depth and car selection like GT....thats the killer game for me... also formula one awesome!

Yea Gran Turismo HD...hmm no damage..bumper car racing...yea...kewl!

i have all 3 systems, and honestly i find it kind of annoying to keep a few chargers around and having to change batteries when they die. i like being able to plug in the ps3 controller using usb once in a while and letting it charge when i'm not playing. it really comes down to comfort and opinion

Yeah, Microsoft has a charging pack if you really want it, too. at least they give you the option of using regular batteries or rechargable bateries. If the rechargable batteries ever die you can just get another set. If PS3's controlers batteries die you need to get a new controler. You see the difference?

Yeah, Microsoft has a charging pack if you really want it, too. at least they give you the option of using regular batteries or rechargable bateries. If the rechargable batteries ever die you can just get another set. If PS3's controlers batteries die you need to get a new controler. You see the difference?

Ya, "If" they ever die, there is a program setup that sony says they will do some kind of battery replacement (who knows if this is even true).

the difference i feel is more convenience with the ps3 controllers being able to plug in for a charge once in a while. right now with the 360 i bought a few of the rechargeable battery packs and chargers. its extra money i had to spend, whereas the ps3 controllers have them built in. see the difference?

Ya, "If" they ever die, there is a program setup that sony says they will do some kind of battery replacement (who knows if this is even true).

the difference i feel is more convenience with the ps3 controllers being able to plug in for a charge once in a while. right now with the 360 i bought a few of the rechargeable battery packs and chargers. its extra money i had to spend, whereas the ps3 controllers have them built in. see the difference?

Well I have to disagree, with PS3 you have to charge it once in a while, and from my personal perspective, I can tell you that I ALWAYS get ****ed off as the batteries run out in the middle of heated gaming. This is not only for PS3, this goes for mice, PC joypads and everything with integrated/rechargeable batteries. That's the whole point and there's nothing you can do basically do, unlike with XBox 360 controllers you just pop in a new AA batteries and that's it, you continue to have fun.

I am yet to see Sony's new program about free replacement. Game showed me Engadget article that quote one of the Sony officials, but it doesn't really seem definite, they say they are working on the service details. So how and when it's gonna be available that's really questionable. It's again one of their mumbling in their chin. I'm having incredibly hard time trusting Sony's PR statements at all. Everything they seem to say recently seems like a bunch of BS with long term promises and nothing concrete right now.

The bottom line, it's another inconvenience, your battery gets weak, you need to send them the controller, wait, they send you a new one and then you can play again. As someone mentioned in this thread, they are basically counting on people being lazy and just going to buy a new controller. I say this is that Sony thing I mentioned in my review. Greed and shady practices.

Let's take a look at XBox 360 controller. $6.99 buys you 20 pack of regular AA batteries, k? You need 2 for the pad and they will last you around 3 months give or take. So 4 x 3 months (2 batteries) is 8 batteries, that's around 2.8 bucks for a year. Not only that it's NOTHING in terms of costs, but you don't have to charge, you don't have to send it for replacement if the rechargeable battery goes berserk etc.

Do you really mean to tell me that PS3 solution is more convenient and consumer friendly? I'm not so sure.

Edited by Boz

I bought my 360 a few days ago and was thinking about going with teh PS3

but Live just pushed me toward 360

I like the PS3 and hope they get better.

Nice review, but can I ask what do you do for a living :shiftyninja: ?

I would very much like to know this too?

Let's take a look at XBox 360 controller. $6.99 buys you 20 pack of regular AA batteries, k? You need 2 for the pad and they will last you around 3 months give or take. So 4 x 3 months (2 batteries) is 8 batteries, that's around 2.8 bucks for a year. Not only that it's NOTHING in terms of costs, but you don't have to charge, you don't have to send it for replacement if the rechargeable battery goes berserk etc.

i see your point about being able to quickly replace batteries, but you must be some sort of magic man ;)

not only do you have a lot of money, but you can make batteries last for 3 months! i can't even make mine last 3 weeks :( i guess that's why i invested in the battery pack that microsoft sells. i switch off between using regular batteries and the pack. mind if i ask what type of batteries you use? :p

Of course the 360 play and charge kit, wich pretty much costs nothign as well. actually comes with a cabel long enough to LET you play while it charges. in fact it's freakishly long, longer than my original xbox controller cables.

either way, a fully charge battery pack lasts for 25 hours of actual gaming. and even if you do play for a full dya continuisly you can just chareg it and next day it'll last another 25, or if you want to stay up another night, you just plug it in and keep playing, and unplug it when it light green. and you're good to go untill you collapse form sleep depravation.

of course if you don't like the cbales, the Xbox 360 does have the advantage of of other charghign kit so you can have 2 batteries, and a charger that is abel to charge 2 of them at a time, and you'll never be out of juice and you'll never be wired. kind of hard to do that with the batteries integrated into the controller isn' it... and if all else fails, you just pop in the original battery pack with a couple of AA's and you're good to go.

I kind of prefer this by a longshot, imagien IF the PS3 chargign cable was logn enough to charge with, and your controller ran out of power in the middle of a huge Burnout Crash party with all your friends, Have you ever tried playing burnout crash party with wired controllers ? yeah, they better not be dirnking anything because you table needs to be empty of anything.

Well I have to disagree, with PS3 you have to charge it once in a while, and from my personal perspective, I can tell you that I ALWAYS get ****ed off as the batteries run out in the middle of heated gaming. This is not only for PS3, this goes for mice, PC joypads and everything with integrated/rechargeable batteries. That's the whole point and there's nothing you can do basically do, unlike with XBox 360 controllers you just pop in a new AA batteries and that's it, you continue to have fun.

I am yet to see Sony's new program about free replacement. Game showed me Engadget article that quote one of the Sony officials, but it doesn't really seem definite, they say they are working on the service details. So how and when it's gonna be available that's really questionable. It's again one of their mumbling in their chin. I'm having incredibly hard time trusting Sony's PR statements at all. Everything they seem to say recently seems like a bunch of BS with long term promises and nothing concrete right now.

The bottom line, it's another inconvenience, your battery gets weak, you need to send them the controller, wait, they send you a new one and then you can play again. As someone mentioned in this thread, they are basically counting on people being lazy and just going to buy a new controller. I say this is that Sony thing I mentioned in my review. Greed and shady practices.

Do you really mean to tell me that PS3 solution is more convenient and consumer friendly? I'm not so sure.

like i said, it is personal opinion. obviously with a lot of use over the years the ps3 controller battery may die off. but i do like the current setup. as someone else mentioned, the play and charge kit is nice, it has rechargeable battery, and very long cord to use.

i've had my ps3 for about 3 months, and i've had to charge the controller a few times. obviously depends on amount of gameplay.

you tell me that you get ****ed when your ps3 controller is dying in the middle of good gameplay.. sounds like it happens often? i'm sure you could be playing quite a bit. but what i dont understand, is that your ps3 controllers may die fast, but somehow you get cheap AA's to last for 3 months?? thats incredible logic.. and only $3/year?

you have both consoles, plus big nice setup. i myself have quite a bit of $$ put in to it all too. if one of my ps3 controllers die completely in a few years (lets assume sony never sets up a replacement service), i could manage $50 to replace it. i'm sure you could as well, considering the $$ you were spending in your original review.

overall, i like BOTH 360,ps3 controller setups (i find the 360 waay more comfortable). but i really like the convenience of simply pluggin in for a charge once in a while. with 360 play n charge kit, you can do the same thing, so its nice. also, ps3 controller has regular usb cable.. you can find 10-20 foot extensions for $5 if you want to play while its charging also

I think the ps3 should be able to catchup in a a years time.

There's some really good games coming out like the getaway which I so badly want to play and I've never owned a playstation so haven't played the games.

I own a modded xbox and xbox 360 which are both excellent and I'll get a ps3 once the Getaway(PS3 exclusive) comes out.

Trust me you can favour one console and I will admit that I favour microsoft but you have to remember that it's the exlusives that decides which consoles a winner that's why I'll buy a ps3 so I can play all the exclusives and buy the x platforms for the 360.

Boz great review on the console, wish I could go out and just buy the ps3 like that, and also I'm glad you made combacks for all the dumb arguments made by NET civillian.

See that's the problem I have with the PS3 controller and the X360 controller (with a play & charge kit). You have to plug it into the console in order to charge the batteries. And I'm not sure if it's been fixed yet, but aren't you forced to keep your PS3 on while it charges? The 360 can charge while off, but if you listen to it while charging it sounds like the console is fully on (thus it's still consuming a ton of power lol).

That's why I love the quick charge kit for the 360, it comes with a rechargeable battery, and it also comes with a charger you plug into an outlet and you just stick your batteries in it. Don't have to bother with the console and it doesn't use so much power. I think that's a far, far better method then either the PS3 or the 360 with a play & charge kit give you. Because it never interrupts gaming if you have a spare battery, and it also doesn't require having a cord run from the controller to the console.

And while I do commend Sony for providing the rechargeable battery built-in to the controller, it's also going to be a big pain to send it off and wait for a replacement. At least with the 360 you can just swap, even if it does cost extra.

What I do wish however, was that Nintendo providing some kind of rechargeable battery system. There's 3rd party options now, but I already went out and picked up some 2500 mAh batteries + the charger. But at least it also doesn't interrupt gameplay. And a charge lasts for even longer then regular AA.

Edited by MadFerIt2006

See that's the problem I have with the PS3 controller and the X360 controller (with a play & charge kit). You have to plug it into the console in order to charge the batteries. And I'm not sure if it's been fixed yet, but aren't you forced to keep your PS3 on while it charges? The 360 can charge while off, but if you listen to it while charging it sounds like the console is fully on (thus it's still consuming a ton of power lol).

That's why I love the quick charge kit for the 360, it comes with a rechargeable battery, and it also comes with a charger you plug into an outlet and you just stick your batteries in it. Don't have to bother with the console and it doesn't use so much power. I think that's a far, far better method then either the PS3 or the 360 with a play & charge kit give you. Because it never interrupts gaming if you have a spare battery, and it also doesn't require having a cord run from the controller to the console.

And while I do commend Sony for providing the rechargeable battery built-in to the controller, it's also going to be a big pain to send it off and wait for a replacement. At least with the 360 you can just swap, even if it does cost extra.

What I do wish however, was that Nintendo providing some kind of rechargeable battery system. There's 3rd party options now, but I already went out and picked up some 2500 mAh batteries + the charger. But at least it also doesn't interrupt gameplay. And a charge lasts for even longer then regular AA.

thats a great point. the console does have to be on for it to be charging. i've rarely charged a controller, but when i do, its usually while i was playing a game or watching movie.

with the noise of the 360 being on, the wall charger is more appealing. i have one around i use with 2500mah batteries that i've changed in the wii controllers a few times

Great review, although I will be picking up a PS3 when a price cuts looms and it has a nice library of games.

Offtopic: Michelob Ultra? That's a woman's beer. MAN UP!

Thanks for correcting me about the 360 wireless controller. I meant to say RF. It uses a 2.4GHz RF Radio. All I'm trying to say was there are some inaccuricies. Plus I remember exactly how the XBox 360 launch went with consoles not working due to manufacturing defects. Microsoft had one year on fixing stuff hey they recently bricked lot of console during the fall update. I'm not blamming anyone. I was expressing my view on the review which I found was inaccurate.

And I'm not a fanboy. I love technology. And expressing your view shouldnt be considered as fanboyism.

And I'm not a fanboy. I love technology. And expressing your view shouldnt be considered as fanboyism.

i agree with you. the original poster put a pretty good review, but i felt the same way as you that some things were inaccuate. i have all 3 consoles, and when someone asks me what i recommend right now, i usually tell them the 360. i really enjoy the ps3 and love that it has BD drive built in.

i dont understand why when you try to reply to give your opinion like the OP did, that you get instantly labelled as a fanboy

I say technology FTW!

Kind of off topic, but only kind of:

Everyone here talking about battery life with 360 and having to get new batteries. For 20$ US you can get a rechargable battery pack with a USB thing for the controler. You plug it in and it'll let you charge the batteries while you play, take it out when its done charging.

Edit: Erm, sorry. I just realized someone posted this above.

One of the best reviews I've read in a long time, that basically states facts and somewhat has changed my view on the PS3 being superior to the 360.

Sure, no more "shitzz m$oft b4d g4m3"

Very good review, it's nice to see it written from someone who like likes gadgets and technology regardless of who makes it. I own a 360 and your comments are basically what i have surmised from reading other reviews.

Apart from a couple of glitches i am really pleased with the 360, i used to be a pc gamer however i just got bored with the games out and decided to go the 360 route.

Personally the best thing about the 360 has to be the achievements, the amount of games i would have given up earlier if it wasn't for chasing gamer points.