.reg file Merge Problem

Hey guys,

I have an issue with my .reg files in Windows Vista. I do not remember how I caused it, but somehow... when I right click a .reg file and try to merge it, it just opens in Notepad and never actually merges. Does anyone know how I can get it back so that it merges instead of opening? Thanks so much.

-xcopmanx

Edited by xcopmanx

Hey guys,

I have an issue with my .reg files in Windows Vista. I do not remember how I caused it, but somehow... when I right click a .reg file and try to merge it, it just opens in Notepad and never actually merges. Does anyone know how I can get it back so that it merges instead of opening? Thanks so much.

-xcopmanx

open explorer or a folder

tools > folder options > file types

scroll down to reg > Advanced

change merge to default action instead of edit

Sounds to me like the 'Merge' action in your file type settings for .reg files got changed. Try this:

1. Open My computer

2. Go to Tools > Folder Options

3. Select the 'File Types' tab

4. Find the entry for reg files (REG)

5. Highlight REG and hit the 'Advanced' button

6. Highlight the 'Merge' action and hit 'Edit'

7. Make sure 'Application used to perform action' is set to (regedit.exe "%1"), WITHOUT the ()'s

8. Hit OK a few times to get back out and see if it worked!

How do I get that menu in Vista though? It's different from XP. I used to be able to do this in XP. heh. The menu in Vista only allows me to pick a default program to open it with and not the usual more advanced settings. I'm not sure how to find where to change the advanced settings for it.

Sorry, didn't see we were posting in a Vista forum. Open the Control Panel and double-click Default Programs, then click 'Associate a file type or protocol with a program'.

Sorry, didn't see we were posting in a Vista forum. Open the Control Panel and double-click Default Programs, then click 'Associate a file type or protocol with a program'.

Thank you very much. I figured it out. :)